Game-Labs Forum
Brogsitter

[Petition] Remove "Port Capture Windows"

Hope when game will be finished, we will have more realistic port configuration with possibility to built substential fortifications and garnison that can be destroyed only by land assault/siege or days/weeks of port blocade. Then there will be no need for time windows.

Right now you can capture port too easily that's the problem. This kind of assault should result in nothing more than harbour raid,, but not in faction change.

The second, and probably the main problem is that ports from your nation by default can by attacked anytime, but if a guild from the other side of the world capture one during your sleep, you are screwed cause they can set this stupid timer and force you and your friends to wake up at 5am and attack when defenders are the most.

• Like 2

Agree , port system is totally broken , and only get advantage to people of non european time zone , i suggest for example that a port has 2 gaps for conquest , 1 at your desire and another +12 hours for example.

this issue is simply absurd, might not have attacks at 5 in the morning and on our side there is no one to defend, but if we want to attack our rush hour, can not because of the "times" capture, that another solution must be sought to this problem

este tema es simplemente absurdo , no puede ser que haya ataques a las 5 de la mañana y de nuestra parte no haya nadie para defender , pero si nosotros queremos atacar en nuestra hora punta , no podemos por culpa de los "horarios" de captura, esto hay que buscarle otra solucion a este problema 

The EU server must have European time and makes no sense to American timetables, a slot that only American players unopposed is silly.

I'm sorry for my English

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/9895-attack-timers/#entry177149

In response to the above thread, here comes the american flak (Actually it's Danish flak, i'm from Denmark). 

We (The US Nation) are setting our timers to 04-06 server time because that's the time where we have the most players online. This means we can defend our ports if attacked.

We're receiving "Spanish Flak" because of this. 

The Spanish however are setting their timers to times where they can't even defend their ports.

- My question; Why would you set the timers to a time that is inconvenient for yourself? 

- My Theory; Probably because you think it's inconvenient for the enemy as well? 

- Result; Remember the Tampa! Remember the Tampa! 

My big question; What difference would it make if the Spanish were able to set their timers on their already owned ports? 
- My answer; Not much as the Spanish don't defend the few ports they have timers on. 

The timer for Tampa was set to 12-14 server time. A time where most of the Spanish Nation is at work/in school and most of the US Nation is sleeping. 

In the end, please stop throwing Flak at us for playing the game. 
I agree that you should be able to set timers on the ports you originally owned (actually, i advocated for that back when the US were in the same situation as the Spanish are in today.) 

If you really wanted our ports you would get people together at 04-06 server time. Just like we got people together 12-14 so that we could take Tampa. 

• Like 6

They can still strike quite a ways into Florida in spite of this "front"

Other games resorted to a "lattice" system for this reason (Planetside 1 & 2, Battleground Europe in particular).

Ideally there would be "raiding" and "capturing".

Raiding can be done anywhere but does not flip port ownership.

Capturing can only be done between neighboring ports, where "neighboring" is defined by a hard-coded network of links:

f05f90_9ec68f3bd7e34177b6eef3c5f749237c.

In this image (from Planetside 2), "Coramed Labs" can only be captured from "Dahaka West" or "Indar Excavation Site". The purple team owns Indar Comm Array but cannot capture Coramed Labs because they have no link to it. They can capture Quartz Ridge Camp. They can go anywhere and shoot the place up but they can only capture linked bases.

This concentrates fighting along front lines and makes it more reasonable to defend (and to find PvP if you want it).

It's something Naval Action could consider.

• Like 2

The capture window as it is wouldn't work even if all players played at the same time because you can just set a time when nobody is going to counteratack and that port is yours forever.

There are two ways of dealing with this.

1. To remove the timers, wich doesn't prevent overnight conquest but at least allows counterattacks.

2. To limit conquest times for each server to a reasonable playtime for US players and EU players based on its location, preventing overnight conquest but forcing US players to play in the US server.

I think it is imposible to set a conquest time at wich US and EU players can fight as that would leave most players out of it.

Your premise is entirely flawed, as pointed out by Mr. Shelby.  "Set it to a time when nobody is going to counterattack" - so you'd willingly, as the Spanish did, set the timer to a time that is guaranteed not to have many defenders?  I wish everyone did that - it would be far easier to take their ports.  "Forcing US Players"?  Also ridiculous.  I have been testing for nearly two years, and you'd like to prevent me from playing with the friends that I've made in that time simply because you don't like the fact that I don't play at a time that's convenient for you?

Nice to talk of forcing people to play the when and how you want to play.

Edited by Oliver H. Perry
  • Like 2

I think everyone can agree that a nation should be able to set timers on it's starting ports. Them having no timer is clearly the biggest issue with port capture timers. Pretty much everyone who was around before the timers agrees that no timers was far worse, and all US players from before the wipe, know the position that the Spanish are in right now, where we had many ports with no timers on them. Rather than bicker about "you want timers because they benefit you" we should be discussing how to improve the system.

Here are my thoughts on the subject, if you'll indulge me:

1. when proper landmasses and large forts are in place it will make flipping harder since you can't surround a land based star fort, like you can a Martello tower.

2. a system where the assaulting force has to buy the flag at least 6-12 hours ahead of time, so that the defenders have advanced notice.

3. a system where attacking AI fleets within the reinforcement circle of the port will reduce it's defense, or expands the window of the attack timer so that you could make the attack window more suitable for your playing time.

4. an AI defense fleet inside a port when their are no defenders.

5. have a layer timer system, 4 hours in which only players will defend the port, 2 hours before and after that where the port can be attacked but a huge AI fleet will be there to defend along with any player defenders who show up, and the remaining 16 hours where the port is unable to be attacked.

6. a way to improve port defenses.

7. if a port is uncontested for a long time, the cost to attack it should go down.

8. a mid tier port battle, we have shallow and deep, why not a middle one for 5th and 4th rates?

Edit: added idea

Edited by theprof739
  • Like 4

Where can i get a refund of my purchase?

We (spain) can´t attack at 4-5am

Maybe delete timers or much better USA players play in USA servers and EU players on EU servers. 

• Like 1

Maybe delete timers or much better USA players play in USA servers and EU players on EU servers. 

If you don't like it how it is on the server, go play on another server.  We Americans have a hard time taking the port timers you set.  Except one thing, we recruited people who play in non standard US timezones.  Do the same, and you can take our ports.  Or, wait until the weekend.  Hopefully once all ports everywhere have timers set, the amount of port battles will quiet down to weekends.

how about instead, sue for peace? Or recruit western players.

• Like 1

Aren't there 630 million latin americans in the world? There has to be a few that play this game that you can recruit. Especially since Iberia alone only has a population of 53 million.

Aren't there 630 million latin americans in the world? There has to be a few that play this game that you can recruit. Especially since Iberia alone only has a population of 53 million.

Not sure why they would want to come play for Spain when the game mechanics ensure that Spain will lose 80% of its ports. The Danes, Dutch, British, Pirates and Americans are all situated so that the logical strategy is to attack Spanish ports almost exclusively. Spain would need a game population three times that of the British faction in order to defend itself adequately in this bizarro-Caribbean where ships destroy forts and land armies.

So call me back when Iberia has a population of 500 million.

Not sure why they would want to come play for Spain when the game mechanics ensure that Spain will lose 80% of its ports. The Danes, Dutch, British, Pirates and Americans are all situated so that the logical strategy is to attack Spanish ports almost exclusively. Spain would need a population three times that of Britain in order to defend itself adequately in this bizarro-Caribbean where ships destroy forts and land armies.

So call me back when Iberia has a population of 500 million.

What about Sweden? Seems like Sweden is doing rather stable at the moment. You're not honestly telling me that the Spanish are trying to keep all their original holdings are they? Is that why resistance has been so little?

What about Sweden? Seems like Sweden is doing rather stable at the moment. You're not honestly telling me that the Spanish are trying to keep all their original holdings are they? Is that why resistance has been so little?

At this rate Spain will lose 80% of their ports, until they are driven into a tiny cul-de-sac the size of Sweden's current holdings. And then be stable.

Sounds like great fun for everyone. I bet Spanish history fans and Latin Americans will come running.

At this rate Spain will lose 80% of their ports, until they are driven into a tiny cul-de-sac the size of Sweden's current holdings. And then be stable.

Sounds like great fun for everyone. I bet Spanish history fans and Latin Americans will come running.

Could have maintained Cuba or the Yucatan at the very least. Your faction isn't that small.

Removing the right to "SET" a Defence window is probably the most short sighted suggestion I've read.

So, let's remove the window then what, next complaint, is the port does not change till "Maintance Time".

Then let's get rid of "Contested" Port period.

Then let's have "NO Maintance Time".

To have a game that is around the clock available for PvP and have some order to it.

You can have it like "EVE", where anything goes.

But this game has dimensions and boundaries and order; just like any "Sports" you like to watch.

Take that away, you will have complete "Chaos"!

Well that's my two cents worth.

• Like 1

If you don't like it how it is on the server, go play on another server.  We Americans have a hard time taking the port timers you set.  Except one thing, we recruited people who play in non standard US timezones.  Do the same, and you can take our ports.  Or, wait until the weekend.  Hopefully once all ports everywhere have timers set, the amount of port battles will quiet down to weekends.

Well you americans.. Remember that you play in a UE server so if you set this timers yo go agaisnt the 80% players, now  you are against spain, but when you fight agains UK or france all players will say the same. As easy as remove timers or just set other hour like our 12-1 am when both countries have players online. And at least we don use Xp glicht with pirates to farm 3 3ºrd rate. 

I'm not sorry to the specific elitist EU and US captains who have such problems 'defending' their ports because someone else set it to a time that is inconvenient for one or both, it's such a hard life when you're so used to getting your own way in timings that instead of befriending and recruiting players outside your own timezones you would rather come on here and have a whinge about how 'unfair' the system is.

I'm sure there are some solutions to the more broken aspects of PBs but I'm sick and tired of this BS about timezones. Try coming and living in some other god damned timezone such as in Russia/Asia/Australiasia/Hawaii and get a fresh perspective of how nearly EVERYTHING online is outside your timezone. It's been the same since time immortal on every MMO I can remember back to EQ and D1. Maintenance, releases, broadcasts, raids, port battles, etc. etc.

/end rant

This issue came up many times in PotBS and one of the most fundamentally basic things we did as Brits (and then when some of us Aussies went Spain) as a nation, was to ensure that we had 50+ players from each major timezones so that should someone flip a port in the middle of the 'night' for EU/US, there was us, the 50 odd Aussie nutjobs, there to put a stop to the marauding frenchies who dared to flip a port outside EU/US prime time.

I liked PotBS PB organisation of a delay timer to when the actual PB occurred, a similar setup should be implemented here.

Create a 'mission' with timer to count down to starting in the port that is contested for the defenders, add a mission with timer in the closest port of the 'aggressors'.

• Like 3

Maybe an easy fix for the initial ports:

If there is no Lord Protector yet, allow every nation -including the owner- to attack the port to install one.

• Like 1

It might not be the most realistic gameplay, but why not have something like Eve's Reinforced Mode (it's been a while, but I think that's what it's called). Maybe when the Conquest Flag is purchased, it can only be used after a 24hr period. So at least everyone will have one day to prepare. You'd definitely get more true fights between players, rather than the ghost capping we have now. Also, only have the flag active for a few hours, so you can't purchase a flag a week in advance and save it. 

The problem with that is, it's exactly like the defence timer we have now, just worse. It just gives the same controll to the attackers, who still might night flip you. However alpha has shown that getting attackers to attack is way less a problem than getting defenders to defend. Thus the ability to pick a time window when they're absolutely commited to a fight is actually the better way than EVE does it. The point about having the time to prepare might be a valid one however. But if the developers wanted, they could have introduced it whithout touching the defence timers at all (i.e. attackers have to announce the attack in the defence slot x hours before they come).

Edited by Nathaniel

Well you americans.. Remember that you play in a UE server so if you set this timers yo go agaisnt the 80% players, now  you are against spain, but when you fight agains UK or france all players will say the same. As easy as remove timers or just set other hour like our 12-1 am when both countries have players online. And at least we don use Xp glicht with pirates to farm 3 3ºrd rate. 

So you're saying that with 80% of the players on the server, you can't stop the other 20% - half of whom are likely Pirate or Britain anyways?  Fascinating.

• Like 2