Game-Labs Forum

Pirates should only gain XP from PvP kills

I do not want them limited, i just want them out entirely. A "Pirate Nation" defending/capturing Cities and building 1st rate Ships of the Line on mass....common this is so unrealistic, it almost ruins the game for me.

We all need to keep in mind that this is a game and not reality. If you or anyone that wants reality then the HMS Victory should not be in the game like ever. Why? She mostly spent her service in the oceans of France and Spain not in the Caribbean also Santisima. So, in short there should not be any 1st rate ships and the St. Pavel since she was in service with Russia in the Caribbean in any nation! 

Edited by BuccaneerFlint

Big fan of the raiding idea..

Why not reduce all resources of the raided port to 0, (and transfer to the lord protectors port of choice)  and...  reduce 1 dura from all ships in a port that was not successfully defended?   representing burning/taking them.  Can't think of a way to send those single dura's back to the pirates unless you gave the port attackers one dura each for the successful attack.

oo now that would sting...

• Like 3

I enjoy pirates as they are, and from what I understand there are changes already coming that the devs have thought of, so I've yet to actually post my suggestions because I trust the devs, probably some of the best devs I've seen in game making so far. What I'd like to see is the removal of the conquest option for pirates, right now thats not a feasible option since there isnt terribly much to do in game besides sink npcs and go on conquests or pvp, but I'd also like to see ports that are pirate ports become uncapturable, when I started the map was static and ports didn't change, there were plenty of random places around the map that a pirate could port at and make a nice home base of, perfectly dotted around the map so pirates could become a presence that causes all nation's trade to be at risk if they didn't take the long way past the pirate ports. If pirates could never capture or lose ports it would encourage groups to take up residence long term at a port and make it their goal to control the area and disrupt trading, and as traders get better they start dodging pirated areas and the smarter traders get away, but then it forces the pirates to adapt and so on and so forth creating the vicious piracy cycle we've all expected. This also encourages pirate v pirate conflict as the only real thing pirates fought each other for was plunder, the pirate that could dominate the best shipping lanes made the most money.

Before any changes happen to pirates however there needs to be changes to the other nations to encourage piracy to begin with, the current trade and economic system does not encourage sailing around looking for traders to capture.. since there are no traders, its far more profitable at the moment to just go sink everything in sight than trade. We need to see the nations changed in such a way that a trader from a nation can trade with another nation for its goods that only that nation has, as they are a luxury in places they are not produced. In times of war trade did not stop, but tariffs and blockades were a good way to control the trading.

I'm all for this, and I have suggested this elsewhere countless times. The problem, and what makes me pessimistic about anything like this ever happening, is every time I've seen admin chime in on the forums about Pirate nation-building, it's always "you should all just team up and stop them." It's never: "there are changes to the faction's goals coming that include trade route raiding and uncaptureable Pirate ports throughout the map."

I, too, trust the devs to put together a solid product. But so far their answers on Piracy leave me baffled.

This leads me to believe that there's nothing in the works, and the fantastic gameplay opportunity of Pirates acting as trade raiders instead of Just Another Faction seems to be going to waste. I really hope I am wrong.

'Pirate XP only for PvP' is just a means towards accomplishing the same goal of Pirates as extremely OW PvP-oriented instead of landgrab-oriented, but instead it's under the assumption that the devs intend to keep Pirates as Just Another Faction, as they seem to indicate. (It seems like I really struck a nerve with some of those who don't like PvP, that's fine if you don't like my suggestion). I would gladly take a re-structured Pirate faction mechanic, such as Death Genie and William Drake have neatly described here, instead of the original premise of this thread. In fact I would prefer it. I'm just sadly not sure the devs are on the same page, yet.

• Like 1

I'm all for this, and I have suggested this elsewhere countless times. The problem, and what makes me pessimistic about anything like this ever happening, is every time I've seen admin chime in on the forums about Pirate nation-building, it's always "you should all just team up and stop them." It's never: "there are changes to the faction's goals coming that include trade route raiding and uncaptureable Pirate ports throughout the map."

I, too, trust the devs to put together a solid product. But so far their answers on Piracy leave me baffled.

This leads me to believe that there's nothing in the works, and the fantastic gameplay opportunity of Pirates acting as trade raiders instead of Just Another Faction seems to be going to waste. I really hope I am wrong.

'Pirate XP only for PvP' is just a means towards accomplishing the same goal of Pirates as extremely OW PvP-oriented instead of landgrab-oriented, but instead it's under the assumption that the devs intend to keep Pirates as Just Another Faction, as they seem to indicate. (It seems like I really struck a nerve with some of those who don't like PvP, that's fine if you don't like my suggestion). I would gladly take a re-structured Pirate faction mechanic, such as Death Genie and William Drake have neatly described here, instead of the original premise of this thread. In fact I would prefer it. I'm just sadly not sure the devs are on the same page, yet.

Alright I understand where you are coming from, but I feel like removing xp from pve would take out a lot of content for pirates too, that would mean they have to grind endless pve fleets to get gold to get ships they can actually sink pvp players in and then hunt down actual players who are a low enough rank for them to even fight that then dont run away, wouldn't just be slow xp, it'd be impossible xp. I agree pvp should be required for some component of the pirate faction to work, raiding especially sounds like a good idea from all of those who suggested it, and perhaps the nations can raid the pirate ports too?

• Like 1

Don't understand what it means :) we know people want to build their own nation (poland russia and some others definitely would do it if they had a chance)

We i think mentioned it some time before that we were and are not against such potential in the sandbox game. For example if a guild captures a big number of ports and keeps them for some time they can buy a revolution charter and form their own nation (from the historical list). That's how we originally planned to allow USA creation. (in the early OW tests there were no USA)

We will wait and follow this statement. Hope we can see it after EA arrive or shortly after...

If that happens, and only if pirates only gaining xp through PvP. I will be the first to say id get fleets of pirates and PvP other pirates to get more xp

Think of it tons of battles out side of Mort town protection , We will be well coordinated and some of the scariest people you would ever see. I my self would help coordinate 10-15 1v1 duels happening all the time and once someone gets to good at 1v1 well get him doing 2v1 . before long you will have pirate players that you will truly fear because the hours of PvP experience under there belts will be so much higher then any nats.

Hell if it happned I would go out of my way to create a ELO system for 1v1 duels .

If you wanna hurt the players who make the choice to play pirates I will go out of my way to make the pirate Nation an even bigger threat, Through community and teamwork

Edit: duels will be to the death

Edited by Deepgift