Game-Labs Forum

Map location and stay were you are.

But that's rubbish unless we are provided with the "tools". Where are these "tools"?? :unsure:

So how about an astrolabe...and a sextant?

(Unless you are going to supply 18th. century GPS devices!)

Even Able Tasman, Dirk Hartog, James Cook and William Bligh had navigational "tools".

They didn't have to figure anything out!!!!!!

you got landmarks, a compass, a map... those should be enough, unlike in real life we dont have to factor in currents and such so it is quite easy to navigate as you go in a straight line if you dont turn.

• Like 2

I think the point about having proper navigation tools is that it would add greatly to the game experience. I wouldn't want anything automated but the ability to use an editable map with some in-game tools for performing dead-reckoning would be super! In particular when the visibility is very bad it would be much more interesting while you're taking those long trips. I think it would also encourage more exploration as you actually have something to do while traveling long distances.

I would like to see at least a tool to take a bearing of land features and mark it on the map. Then connect these marks and plot your course. A chronometer for course projections. It would just make it much more fun!

I think the point about having proper navigation tools is that it would add greatly to the game experience. I wouldn't want anything automated but the ability to use an editable map with some in-game tools for performing dead-reckoning would be super! In particular when the visibility is very bad it would be much more interesting while you're taking those long trips. I think it would also encourage more exploration as you actually have something to do while traveling long distances.

I would like to see at least a tool to take a bearing of land features and mark it on the map. Then connect these marks and plot your course. A chronometer for course projections. It would just make it much more fun!

I agree with this, and i suspect we will get it sometime in the future, dont think it is high in the devs to do list.

i am using a map that I am working on in photoshop - as you can see i still need to add some of the port names & coords but the map is finished other than that 

all i have to do is get my coords in game, place the crude red compass rose that you see in the map over the coords, and i can instantly see what direction i need to sail in to get to my destination, avoid smelly dutch/danish patrolled waters etc

446a584ce0.jpg

The map file is large but when finisged i will find a way to make it available to the community - probably thru dropbox or something similar

Just so others know, when you hit f11 you can see your coords (imo should be removed) so if you are utterly lost, use the map above to help find where you are. The Google map, under the maps part of the forums, also lists coords for ports.

I disagree on both points. You can bring 24 repair kits and use them out of combat to fully repair your ship. This should provide plenty of repair to not have to go back to port for several real life days.

Also the devs have the map right. Don't add true position on the map and don't add markers on the hud. This isn't wow which holds you by the hand and gives you a yellow brick road to follow.

No map GPS icon for me, no siree.

However... If anyone's played Silent Hunter (Submarine simulator) it has a range of map tools for drawing course and such that might be worth looking at (or similar systems) for some inspiration. A Sextant wouldn't hurt either.

Sextant, Astrolabe, Compass, good Clock, and Knotted Cord were all used/needed to get fairly precise readings.

Now since for some reason we are ALWAYS running cords, our clock is always running true, and our compass is never effected by seas, then it is not a far stretch to be able to have a couple other tools.

1.  Quick "measure" tool which will give a "best time" to travel from port A to port B based upon best ship speed, same tool can give heading between the two ports.  This is Navigation 101, anyone with a protractor, scaled map, caliper, and a ruler can do this, no reason not to have it in game.  (Would be able to account for OW compression)

2.  "Position Check" which gives a Lat and Lon value which can be displayed on the map, automatically happens every day at sea at noon, can now use measure tool with that position as a reference like it is a port.  This marker only "writes" once per day, would be fine if it left a "legacy mark" as long as the ship is at sea, this would give a "path of travel" on long trips.  Marker automatically wipes when one enters port. (This was done on every ocean going vessel in the time period, every day, even pirate ships)

3.  "WTFAI" this is the active version of the "position check", it can be performed during any non-storm event, however, ship must be at a complete stop, and it will take 2 minutes to complete, sitting motionless, on the ocean, alone, maybe even a big sign over the head saying "I'm Lost, please come kill me so I can get to port"...    ;)

None of the three above breaks immersion, for short runs and coast runs 2 is pretty much useless anyway, and really if you are going to do 3, might as well teleport anyway...

BTW, if the port names on the HUD are going away, then the skylines need to become much more distinctive.  It is already frustrating enough having to sail up close enough to a port to see which one it is when you have been AFK sailing for 15 minutes on a PVP server...   :wacko:

I really do not believe that people are objecting to the inclusion of navigational practices that were in use during the period depicted!

For God's sake....do you really think that navigators of that era stood on the deck, scratched there heads and said "I'm stuffed if I know where we are  Capt'n but gee, I wish I hadn't pawned my sextant!"

Give me a break!

"Landmarks, a compass and a map", he says.

Yep....that's just how the seafarers of the day journeyed around the world and from port to port, landmarks being the most useful aid when there aren't any in sight.

(Sheesh! There are times when I fear for the future of the human race).

I really do not believe that people are objecting to the inclusion of navigational practices that were in use during the period depicted!

For God's sake....do you really think that navigators of that era stood on the deck, scratched there heads and said "I'm stuffed if I know where we are  Capt'n but gee, I wish I hadn't pawned my sextant!"

Give me a break!

"Landmarks, a compass and a map", he says.

Yep....that's just how the seafarers of the day journeyed around the world and from port to port, landmarks being the most useful aid when there aren't any in sight.

(Sheesh! There are times when I fear for the future of the human race).

yes and posts like this is one of them, i dont see any body objecting to navigational practices, i only see people objecting to having your position placed on your map for you!

yes and posts like this is one of them, i dont see any body objecting to navigational practices, i only see people objecting to having your position placed on your map for you!

I give up...it's akin to bashing one's head against a brick wall.

You win.

As any Naval Action captain succeeds in sailing in the current OW (the Caribbean and all its islands that are an enclosed space full of ports) after a fews days without anything else but a compass, additional navigational tools would seem useful only for potential future maps with unknown territories or with large bodies of water without islands and lots of ports.

If not, they're just gadgets.

Edited by LeBoiteux

I would propose not to simply have "gadgets" to make things easier but rather to make the game more challenging and interesting and in many different ways.

I would entertain the idea of having two modes of navigation:

1. The current free-form, roam-the-seas kind for coastal navigation and exploring

2. A course plotting mini game that would then lock you into your plotted course (right or wrong) for the duration of the course leg. It should/could be involving and challenging enough to have some risk of running afoul if you don't do it right

The choice of method should be yours at any moment but both methods should have their pros and cons. It would certainly only make the game play richer.

I used to sail a 30 footer and always thoroughly enjoyed the challenge of traditional navigation as we didn't have any electronic navigational aids. Simply take bearing readings of landmarks and use it to plot your course on a paper chart. Of course I know this game is not a sailing simulator but I see potential to add value and content with such a task built-in.

Quick workaround:

Press F11 and look the coordiantes and compare with community maps coordinates grid.

Or quick rule:

X is horizontal and Z is vertical.

The center point 0,0 is just South/West of Jamaica (Savanna la Mar). The limits are -800k in West (mexico Coast), +800k to East (Barbuda), +800k North (US coast and Bermuda) and -640k South (Colombia and Maracaibo Lake).