Game-Labs Forum

Which SP AI gives the greatest challenge?

gbirkhimer

Greetings all,

Skip down to my question (in Bold font) if you don't want to read all following the junk leading to it.

First of all, GREAT GAME!  Kudos to Game Labs for producing it.  I purchased UG:G a few weeks ago (from GoG then Steam had it on sale half price a few days later ... d'oh, my bad karma) and have spent quite a few hours learning its nuances since.  Many of those just on the opening scenario (Arriving at Gettysburg).  I've also have combed through the forums here and elsewhere for play tips and info.

I have a few questions, but I'll stick to one for this posting.  Some background leading to my question ... in the past week I've played through several runs of the full SP campaign trying different AI choices.  I started by playing the Union with the Balanced AI for the Confederacy and eked out a minor victory.  It was a nice, challenging experience.  I did one play through as the Confederacy versus a Balanced AI Union and ran the Union off the map in the first day (i.e not much of a challenge) and have not played as the Confederacy since.  I've played several (think 10+) additional campaigns as the Union versus the some of the other AI settings for the Confederacy (mainly Cunning, Dynamic and  Determined) looking for a greater challenge.  My results have been pretty much the same for each case - mostly minor victories with a couple Pyrrhic victories.  The course of the play did vary with the AI used but the end results were not much different.  Which (finally) leads to my question.

In your experience, which game AI presents the greatest challenge in the SP campaign and why?

TIA,

gbirkhimer

Try to enable the Boost Mode of AI for harder challenge.

I did one play through as the Confederacy versus a Balanced AI Union and ran the Union off the map in the first day (i.e not much of a challenge) and have not played as the Confederacy since. 

I suggest you continue on the 2nd day because Union AI will counter-attack with superior forces and it should be a challenge. Typically your army will be exhausted if you gain Cemetery Hill on the 1st day and it will be tough to defend. Depends also from where the AI union will attack. Sometimes it chooses to flank from Peach Orchard, other times chooses Central attacks or flanking on Benner's Hill.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I'm a new guy and haven't even thought about a multi-player game. I have read most of the material and have done some single player matches and am looking forward to getting in to an online game. If you guys have any suggestions/advice/guidance it will be most welcome....

Hi Bowzer74, 

Hello, I'm a new guy and haven't even thought about a multi-player game. I have read most of the material and have done some single player matches and am looking forward to getting in to an online game. If you guys have any suggestions/advice/guidance it will be most welcome....

Look to joining the UGG groups that are available here's were you'll be able to find the opportunity to learn & hopefully have fun.

WAR group or UGG community group, TRY group.

Thanks for the response. I sent you a message, I was beginning to think that folks here weren't very welcoming.  I received a response from "Michael" and I'm not sure that I responded correctly. If you know who this person is please let him know that I didn't ignore his post. 

• 2 weeks later...

Must say that the AI made a huge step forward in the last updates.

It is very challenging nowadays:

-the AI now always seems to know how fill gaps in the frontline while being defensive

-AI increases the pressure on important points when attacking

-most important the enemy artillery makes an excellent job now, concentrating on single targets and trying to finish off my artillery.

-AI reserves are rushed to critical points

My favorite AI is "offensive" combined with "boost AI"

Game got so good!

Really appreciate all the information. The game looks fantastic and I am looking forwarding to trying the multi-player feature. So far I haven't fared very well in single player, still getting use to the controls and how intelligent the AI maneuvers.  Seem to be a bunch of nice folks in the community which is always a plus. Again, Thanks for sharing..... B)