Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Salty Dog.

Second shard

no, not the name of some cheap SciFi movie...

So, a second shard is available.  If you enter it, you retain rank but don't have any money, ships (other than cutter) and you start in your capital.  Kind of a soft wipe.

Any ides what the purpose of this shard?

Maybe they are prepering the PVE server which they said they would launch sometime near the early acces date?

A PVE Server? Seriously?

Edited by Henry d'Esterre Darby
Removed discussion of moderation. Please read the forum rules. Thank you.

A PVE server is not bad. It separates the people that just want to kill Ai and do the game solo from the people that want to fight other players and participate with groups ect....

Edited by GoldenEagleLeader
  • Like 4

I hope is is a just a second shard, the ping is half of the other shard so maybe it's just a shard in a different location and they just haven't got them synced yet.

The problem is, and I hope it is an error, that you can use the same character in differents servers. So with that O hope people doing all the stuff in the PvE server and just enter in the PvP one when they have full rank and all of this.

Carebear party.

Edited by Celonius
  • Like 4

I hope that the PvE has few popularity and no one play it. In my opinion this will divide the community. Actually the number of players was between 250-350, who is very low. Just imagine if we divide that. 

A PVE server is not bad. It separates the people that just want to kill Ai and do the game solo from the people that want to fight other players and participate with groups ect....

There are a lot of games where you can play solo just killing IA. It seems that some people can not understand that there are PvP games.

im pretty sure once EA is open you won`t be able to have the same character on both server... there will be a wipe anyway. As for population im still amaze we have 250-300 now, couple weeks ago we had 30 at some point.... EA, which im more optimistic will be soon will have quite an effect on the population. Remember that the population we have now is without any real publicity and barely any mentioned on website and such...

A PVE Server? Seriously?

As I was going to reply to your post before it was locked and hidden, if NA really takes off we will need more than 1 server because the devs said a server can only support about 3000 players.  With Steam I wonder how many active players we can get?  This is one thing that makes NA different from say Potbs and other past naval mmos.  Steam makes things so much easier.  People have asked for a pve server so give it to them.  I'd rather see a pve server and see thousands of copies of the game sold than pvp only server with thousands of people complaining they aren't going to buy because there is no pve only.  There were games this weekend that were on sale on steam that I passed up on because of lacking a single player option or it wasn't clear if that game in development that is currently in single player alpha if it will stay single player when they get multiplayer going (ex. novus inceptio).

Edited by Henry d'Esterre Darby
Removed moderated content.
  • Like 1

As I was going to reply to your post before it was locked and hidden, if NA really takes off we will need more than 1 server because the devs said a server can only support about 3000 players.  With Steam I wonder how many active players we can get?  This is one thing that makes NA different from say Potbs and other past naval mmos.  Steam makes things so much easier.  People have asked for a pve server so give it to them.  I'd rather see a pve server and see thousands of copies of the game sold than pvp only server with thousands of people complaining they aren't going to buy because there is no pve only.  There were games this weekend that were on sale on steam that I passed up on because of lacking a single player option or it wasn't clear if that game in development that is currently in single player alpha if it will stay single player when they get multiplayer going (ex. novus inceptio).

I have no problems with PvE server, the problems are:

1-Having the same character of both. This incentives the carebearing. Imaging just hauling things in the PvE with no fear about PvPers and the only connect PvP in order to kill for the lol. I thing one of the beautiful things about PvP is that if you are a trader, there are the danger of being attacked, like in the past history. I'm fine if someone wants to do PvE, but devs should put different characters, not the same.

2-The resources goes to PvE. This is a PvP game, so devs should do more PvP content. I have no problem on having a PvE server, but they should focus the resources on PvP.

Anyway, there is only 20-30 players on PvE. I think that people does not really want PvE, just 4-5 cryers. Probably in the future they are going to close the PvE server because there will have only a few players playing on it.

I have no problems with PvE server, the problems are:

1-Having the same character of both. This incentives the carebearing. Imaging just hauling things in the PvE with no fear about PvPers and the only connect PvP in order to kill for the lol. I thing one of the beautiful things about PvP is that if you are a trader, there are the danger of being attacked, like in the past history. I'm fine if someone wants to do PvE, but devs should put different characters, not the same.

2-The resources goes to PvE. This is a PvP game, so devs should do more PvP content. I have no problem on having a PvE server, but they should focus the resources on PvP.

Anyway, there is only 20-30 players on PvE. I think that people does not really want PvE, just 4-5 cryers. Probably in the future they are going to close the PvE server because there will have only a few players playing on it.

1. i highly doubt we will have the same character for both... that is just plain stupid

2. I imagine resources will go all pvp and they just cut the features for PVE(like port battles, PVP fighting and such)

3. we dont know what will happen, this game hasnt hit early acces yet, and to be honest if you are new going PVE is a nice way to get to know the game.

edit: cut features for pve, not from

Edited by OlavDeng2

1. i highly doubt we will have the same character for both... that is just plain stupid

2. I imagine resources will go all pvp and they just cut the features from PVE(like port battles, PVP fighting and such)

3. we dont know what will happen, this game hasnt hit early acces yet, and to be honest if you are new going PVE is a nice way to get to know the game.

I would imagine the same as olav has said will happen.

Watch out - this thread is going to be deleted without notification. Just like mine a few minutes ago.

To the mod who did it, please read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_speech

If you dont like what I wrote, close the thread and give a notification. I am fine with that, but do not just delete a thread - thats kinda smelly.

And once more: 

A PVE Server? Seriously?

I have seen your post and it was hidden righteously. It contained no content and was basically non constructive emptyness. If you are worried about freedom of speech rights please file complaint to the Humans Rights Watch.

We give you full freedom of choice. You should give freedom of choice for those who don't want to choose PvP.

If you don't like PvE server - Play on the PvP server. 

ps i love how people who cry the most about freedom of speech and professionalism of the devs always apply double standards. They only want freedom for themselves. Not for others. 

• Like 8

I have seen your post and it was hidden righteously. It contained no content and was basically non constructive emptyness. If you are worried about freedom of speech rights please file complaint to the Humans Rights Watch.

We give you full freedom of choice. You should give freedom of choice for those who don't want to choose PvP.

If you don't like PvE server - Play on the PvP server. 

ps i love how people who cry the most about freedom of speech and professionalism of the devs always apply double standards. They only want freedom for themselves. Not for others. 

As I said before, I think that we do not have problems with PvE and about freedom, is just that most of the people that are posting here have a lot of years of experiencie playing MMOs and most of use know what happened in cases of that.

I think that it should be better not divide the community, make one unique server and put some areas of PvE. Anyway, can you answer the question I made before?

1-Are you going to put the option of having the same character in both server? if you do I think that this will be a exploit, people trading, crafting, ganing experiencie in the PvE server and only connect to the PvP for doing por battles. That breaks the essence of the game, of being attacked while you are hauling some resources.

2- Are you going to still focusing your resources on making PvP features? I think that if you divide your production and your resources in PvE wont be good, there are a lot of work on improving the PvP and the Economy system.

Anyway, I think that actually there are few people who want to play PvE, I think that if someone wants to do PvE there are a lot of options of differents game where he/she can actually go. I think that the people who are going to play in that server will be a few who are always "crying" in the forums about gankers, pvpers, etc...

As I said before, I think that we do not have problems with PvE and about freedom, is just that most of the people that are posting here have a lot of years of experiencie playing MMOs and most of use know what happened in cases of that.

I think that it should be better not divide the community, make one unique server and put some areas of PvE. Anyway, can you answer the question I made before?

1-Are you going to put the option of having the same character in both server? if you do I think that this will be a exploit, people trading, crafting, ganing experiencie in the PvE server and only connect to the PvP for doing por battles. That breaks the essence of the game, of being attacked while you are hauling some resources.

2- Are you going to still focusing your resources on making PvP features? I think that if you divide your production and your resources in PvE wont be good, there are a lot of work on improving the PvP and the Economy system.

Anyway, I think that actually there are few people who want to play PvE, I think that if someone wants to do PvE there are a lot of options of differents game where he/she can actually go. I think that the people who are going to play in that server will be a few who are always "crying" in the forums about gankers, pvpers, etc...

1. Again, i doubt they would do it(im not a dev, so cant answer for them)

2. they probably are, like i said chances are they make PVP features, and then disable them for the PVE server making PVE server a cut down PVP server

3. No there isnt... tell me one that gets even close to naval action... because i have tried. Assassins creed, fun sure but no where near as in depth in terms of naval combat as naval action. Sid meiers pirates... well if you call that an alternative... well that still doesnt get close to naval action.

• Like 1

@admin

A professional would not have posted a Post scriptum, with a personal opinion.

Anyway, we are here to test and to make this game even better,so i dont see a point in arguing here.

@topic

For clarification: having more thanks one Server is only a good idea, if you have the player base. Having a pve Server besides a pvp server using the same character database is always a bad idea.

Regarding this game: there is no high player base. It raised the last days, but it is still not high enough. Both Servers using the same database.

Besides this i thought the devs were looking for as much realism as possible. A game were u can not being attacked either by the AI and other players is not much realistisch.

Conclusion: The pve Server is a bad decission at this point.

Just my2cent.

Ps: dont waste the potential of this game to carebares.

Edited by Brogsitter
  • Like 1

1. Again, i doubt they would do it(im not a dev, so cant answer for them)

2. they probably are, like i said chances are they make PVP features, and then disable them for the PVE server making PVE server a cut down PVP server

3. No there isnt... tell me one that gets even close to naval action... because i have tried. Assassins creed, fun sure but no where near as in depth in terms of naval combat as naval action. Sid meiers pirates... well if you call that an alternative... well that still doesnt get close to naval action.

Thanks for your answer, but Im asking to the dev.