Game-Labs Forum

Motion Sickness.... & viewpoint changes

Last night I finally got into some larger fights, and with all the spinning I actually felt sick after 20 mins in a fight with a few ai brigs.

My fps is good around 60 in battle, but I don't think that is it.  

What I think maybe causing it is the shift in perspective when you change from aiming guns to half way up the mast and back again to aiming guns.  If that transition was instant, and perhaps when leaving aiming mode the view direction and position didn't change it might alleviate the affects..

In this particular fight I was in a snow, and with guns at all sides it exaggerated the effects as well I believe.

Don't see many posts about this so perhaps very few of us are affected..  This is new to me I am not usually affected by motion sickness.

Skurj, a few months ago I remember seeing some similar complaints, asking for a "lock to" view rather than the continuous pan. So you're not alone here.

It seems like it only affects a few. Curious if there's more complaints once Early Access comes. Hopefully they can find a solution for you guys; I do feel like snap-to view might be a competitive advantage versus pan view because it is quicker. And I hope pan view remains the default because it really adds to the immersion I feel. But maybe there's another solution for people who feel motion sickness or snap to view can be implemented with a delay so as not to be competitively speedier than pan view.

Skurj, a few months ago I remember seeing some similar complaints, asking for a "lock to" view rather than the continuous pan. So you're not alone here.

It seems like it only affects a few. Curious if there's more complaints once Early Access comes. Hopefully they can find a solution for you guys; I do feel like snap-to view might be a competitive advantage versus pan view because it is quicker. And I hope pan view remains the default because it really adds to the immersion I feel. But maybe there's another solution for people who feel motion sickness or snap to view can be implemented with a delay so as not to be competitively speedier than pan view.

Its not so much the pan view its the fact that you have no control over the speed or the direction I believe.  I believe its related to people who suffer it in cars or what have you, but only when they aren't driving...  there is no connection between your actions and what is passing before your eyes or something like that.

When leaving cannon view u warp to mid mast and then warp from mid mast to the other side.. this sort of motion is just odd.. and you really have no control of that change of view.  Even when on deck.

I am told once I get to frigate it will be a null issue, some others mentioned similar effects.

(John Wilkes in game)

Last night I finally got into some larger fights, and with all the spinning I actually felt sick after 20 mins in a fight with a few ai brigs.

My fps is good around 60 in battle, but I don't think that is it.  

What I think maybe causing it is the shift in perspective when you change from aiming guns to half way up the mast and back again to aiming guns.  If that transition was instant, and perhaps when leaving aiming mode the view direction and position didn't change it might alleviate the affects..

In this particular fight I was in a snow, and with guns at all sides it exaggerated the effects as well I believe.

Don't see many posts about this so perhaps very few of us are affected..  This is new to me I am not usually affected by motion sickness.

Developers are aware of this issue, it will be most likely solved at the later stages of the game development

Using numpad to switch into gunnery views (chasers, especially) seems like a no-brainer to me. And the transition could be instant with this method.

This solution doesn't take into account notebooks or keyboards without numpad

This solution doesn't take into account notebooks or keyboards without numpad

Gaming laptops have numpads.

I have suffered from lack of numpad myself and it stinks, but it wouldn't be a real problem here. Just allow alternate bindings of Control-9 = Num 9