Game-Labs Forum

Development plans prioritization - proposals and feedback

player poll  

1,063 members have voted

1. 1. Please vote on the development plan priorities

• Port Investments/National Projects
    • Production buildings (mines, forges, shipyards)
    • Officers and refined crew management
    • Trading/Contract improvements
    • Pirates mechanics and rules of engagement finalization
    • Improvements of organized events (large/small battles)
    • Resource spawning and shifting when they are mined out
    • Land in battles and port battles
    • Improved forts/Mortar brigs
    • Better command options in large battles (markers etc)
    • Exploration and Delivery missions

I voted for Pirate mechanics, for a very important reason:

There needs to be a precedent set as soon as possible for Pirate gameplay. Every day we get scores of new players choosing Pirate, and the more players that get entrenched as that faction, the more difficult it is going to be enact any changes without MAJOR whining.

And the Pirate gameplay mechanic is nowhere near workable now. So this needs to be a highly prioritized fix, so the legions of new Pirate players can feel on the ground floor of the new Pirate gameplay, rather than feel like a drastic change is imposed on them later.

A side bonus is that the trade economy OW play immediately becomes more fun and robust with Piracy disrupting shipping lanes all over the map, etc....instead of Pirates as "just another faction" based arbitrarily and exclusively out of Mortimer Town.

I voted for land in battles and port battles, but the more I think about it, and watch the growth of the Pirate faction,  Sharp is right, some sort of Pirate mechanics to set them apart from Nations should be in place for EA influx.  Other elements high on the list, land, production buildings, and crew management can be added in after EA.

• Like 1

we really go early access without any reasonable antiganking protection?  then there should be a warning on the steam page

You can join teh Pve Server to not be gank or sunk. If you join PvP server, you have to know you can be sunk anyway...

This thread is a poll and NA posters have already massively voted in favor of Ganking : http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/6218-ganking-petition/page-1

They do cherish it, love it, can't live without it.

Edited by LeBoiteux

It's hard to pick. I think all choices would be desirable, but there is just a limit to what can be accomplished by a small development team. From my experience in developing software, I'd say all programs are a work in progress no matter how long the development time. I hope the game will continue to advance even after release.

With diplomacy not even being an option in the poll, should we take it as that it is currently under development and will be done regardless of what other thing we vote for in the poll? I feel like I have to ask since to me it is much, much, much more important than anything that's in the poll.

• Like 5

Well i have two ideas for now,i am not actually owning or playing the game but hope to do that soon. 

But since i am mostly watching DeathSimulator on youtube i got idea why not make your crew scream in pain when you get shot at and some amount of your crew is dead and make someone shout man overboard or stuff like that.I did play a lot of games and i think  important thing in them is sound and sound effect that needs to be so real so it will draw you even better in game. 

The second thing i thought is maybe making larger class ship need to have more range i mean if the ship has 4 rows of guns the physics are telling us that the top row cant have the same range as the lowest row one? 

You agree or i am wrong.

Once you are in game for awhile you get used to navigation.  It is difficult at first but it becomes easy.

Before I created the first accurate land map all anyone had to go off of were coordinates and google maps.  Back then I created a tool that allowed people (tda leadership) to find their latitude and longitude with an accuracy (depending where you were) between 2 miles and 30 miles.  30 miles being about the distance you can see on the Open Sea in game.  All the information is there for people to make stuff like this.

Yeah I did check your map and have to admit you did great job with it .

I voted exploration and delivery missions.  The majority of those currently playing are a combat centric group.  There will be an large influx of players attracted by the trading and exploring possibility in a game like this, if they come in during EA and find they cannot progress without combat, it may turn these players away and they may never come back.

Anyways, as far as navigation goes, I cried about the no way to locate myself thing the first 2-3 days, but since then I have learned to be constantly aware of my last landmark and my heading from it and my destination.  On the last day prior to the wipe I sailed from Kingston to Bermuda, and didn't get lost, quite happy about that.  The longest stretch, was 13 days at sea.

• Like 2

urgent, beautiful and famous Spanish galleons that time carrying the gold, and the glass in the open sea, it is painful to see how far a port and having to get close almost to the side to know that port is and where you stand in map

(I respost from another theme but I think it really fits) I thought several improvements. There they go:

1) MORE TYPES OF QUESTS.

For example:

Find and Destroy in known place (as exist now). 

Find and Destroy Unknown place (just an approximation of the zone where the sailor was last seen)

Find and Destroy Epic Ships (Known pirates or sailors or Phantom ships, NPCs, that sail all arround the world and only few people see them every month).

Find and Destroy PLAYER (I'll talk about this later but it would be great that depending on the PLAYERS the diferent nations had some empathy or enmity with other nations so they gave you quests of killing important players of enemy nations)

Trading Quests of Resources Needed

Trading Quests of Intercepting Merchant enemy city ships

Trading Quests of Moving some Goods from that port to another. If you loose those goods you have to pay a fee

Trading Quests of PROTECTION some ship that has to do a long journey with expensive goods. 

Exploration Quests of visiting places

Exploration Quests of selling cartographic information

Exploration Quests of seeing rare events acrros de map (Phantom ships, Kraken, etc..)

Pirate Quests (All pirate quests taken at pirate ports) of Stole Goods

Pirate Quests of destroying law agents

2) MORE TYPE OF NPCs SHIPS/SAILORS

Would really enjoy if there were Port Guards (Easy to remove if you are high level ship, like the City Guards in WoW for example), that they cashed you if the nation of that port hates yours.

I would enjoy some NPC ships for complementing the quest system i exposed above

3) A MERCHANT / PIRATE / PRIVATE GUARD system for "Merchant companies".

As in SilkRoad Online, you could be Merchant, Thief or Protector. When you trade goods, you had to take a long way from one place to another and the income of money was good, but the road was dangerous as thiefs (NPCs and real players) were following you and waiting you on the road wanting your goods, so one hired some Guard Players as they helped them. So would be great a system that offered the possibility to Find Avaliable Guards, dedice the payment, and start the journey.

4) OFC a new Interface but they already told it's on progression and the one we have now it's not definitive. Would really apreciate song at the interficie. Like.. Patrician III?

5) More diferent envirorment "unique" places. I mean that the diferent ports would be nice to be like little cities or have some "zone" one could enter and roam in a quite-little space with other ships that were on that port. That would give the feeling of immersion and that the port that you are is unique, and would motivate to visit diferent ports to see how they look

6) A Better Clan System. With a Clan Graphic interficie, with divisions (traders, action, cheifs leaders, etc...), and easy-organized events from the clan, as well as Clan relations and the most hated Players of the clan (the player who has sunk more ships of the clan).

I'll come with a Part 2 of "Suggestions". At the moment, the game looks Awesome, it feels like where you've been working, job's done and works good. But it's not finished. I have huge expectations of these game, that's why i'm recomending it all to everybody i know.

Take care

• Like 1

I am missing Clan options.

It should be possible to have a clan/guild based bank to collect money from the members for the clan/guild. Same with a warehouse where member can spend their not used ressources and harbor places for ships.

I voted for refined officer and crew management. A captain wasn't doing everything on his ship single-handedly.

-Lookouts could call out land and sail sightings. They could maybe provide more or less information - and more or less accurate information - depending on how experienced they are, with chances of mistaken identity or seeing through a ruse de guerre at long range, etc.

-Gun captains could be ordered to fire by broadside, fire as they bear, or fire at will instead of the current rolling broadsides or individual shots aimed and laid individually. Further options to fire on the down-roll, up-roll, or fire into the rigging / waterline / sweep the decks could further modify each of these commands. Maybe then instead of all guns having the same arc (Do they all have the same arc? It's hard to tell.) the forward guns could bear a little further forward and the rear guns could bear a little further aft, and guns could also not fire if they can't bear on the target. Shots going far astray while the captain is trying to concentrate on waring ship or raking the enemy could be mitigated by simply telling the crew to fire as they bear!

-Smarter sail handling, perhaps an improvement on auto-skipper, could be performed by bringing up a sail plan of the ship and selecting which sails you'd like to do what things with. Individual sails could be reefed, brailled up, tightened or slackened, set or furled, backed or let fly, as necessary for an experienced captain. Furling square sails and hoisting every stitch of fore-and-aft canvas when sailing close to the wind, for instance.

-Marines, sharpshooters, and swivel guns could harass the enemy crew at close range instead of simply flinging grape at the enemy, possibly even with orders to harass enemy sharpshooters, gun crews, or officers.

-Carpenters and mates could automatically work on plugging leaks, and the boatswain and mates could repair damaged rigging gradually instead of having the simple repair / survival modes currently present. Hands could still be taken away from fighting the ship in a survival mode, hastening the pumping, plugging, or repairs as necessary.

• Like 2

Hello Captains:

Continuing our open development tradition http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/1350-development-priorities 

Plz up the total number of player or unified the 2 pvp , and same when you will have more pve server because people like me who work a lot for living dont like trying to play your captain only to find the server always full for all the time you can play .  

And plz people dont tell me to start a new one on the other server i got a life :-)

Edited by Vander_Mitch

Clan port outpost and teleport option

there should be an option to nominate a port as a clan base with and outpost for the clan use. As well as a added teleport option to the clan base as well as the capital.

• Like 1

My thoughts about this interesting topic:

First thing I would like to see is production buildings. I'd love a system like EVE Online, with a player driven economy where everything is produced by players, and with a realistic "stock market". I think that woud give depth to this beautiful game.

I haven't tried crafting yet, but I personally don't like the labor hours system: i really don't like just clicking the mouse to see goods appearing from nothing. I think that a system based on real time hours and production cycles woud be more satisfying and realistic.

Then I would like to see exploration gameplay and exploration missions, maybe with instanced "secret" sizes on the open sea, and maybe hidden resouces on islands. That would give more variety to PVE and would give more satisfacion on sailing around the world.

I would also like to see instant deliveries replaced by delivery missions.

Eventually I would appreciate officers and refined crew management, as a way to improve ship customization and strategic depth.