Game-Labs Forum

bad weather drops you from open world into an instance?

I really like this idea, I'm new to the game and actually thought I heard this was implemented in the game in a video on youtube. I understood wrong :P

I think the point of the game is not only PVP/PVE but also about sailing. So in that sense the gameplay around it would be interested. You'd have to divert course or not and reach a certain "safe" point on the map that lets you back on the OW. It wouldn't have to be for 30mins necessary. You could aslo divert courses on the OW to avoid the storm totally, that could mean a longer travel time but no risk to your ship... An interesting tradeoff maybe?

Just my 2 cents, for what it's worth :)

Problem is, surviving a storm means doing the same thing for eight or twelve or thirty-six hours.

You'd have to have scripted events like man overboard, things breaking, wind shifts, etc. The core gameplay would just be fighting with the rudder to stay on course.

• Like 3

Problem is, surviving a storm means doing the same thing for eight or twelve or thirty-six hours.

You'd have to have scripted events like man overboard, things breaking, wind shifts, etc. The core gameplay would just be fighting with the rudder to stay on course.

That's why I was questioning.  I can't really see any actual fun gameplay being in a storm, unless they implement many different scripted events.  I just don't think it is really worth the time and effort at this point.  Anyone who sailed in sea trials on storm map trying to get that last AFK player upwind will probably understand.

Edited by Petrov

Yeah it would have to be for only 10 minutes or so and then back to open world. You would be transported to the edge of the storm in the open world once through.

Normally you would avoid stormy weather so 99% of the time it would be no problem. Storms could perhaps be short cuts ... choice of squaring around the storm or going through it and being faster to where ever you are going. I was not just talking about storms though but other events like being shoaled or sand barred or entering port or entering reefed areas. Event like stuff.

• Like 4

One major problem I see with this is the options we have of sail handling and outside of the box thinking.  Can we rig a drogue?  Can we go under a very shortened, but balanced sail plan?  Can we lower t'gallant and possibly even topmasts? Do we have different sails for heavy weather?  Currently wind waves don't do any damage, so we'd have to give some incentive to actually shorten sail, or people will be going through a hurricane with stuns'ls set (if we had stuns'ls).  Really, I see an instance for storms as a disappointment; the real options for storm sailing are nearly infinite, and with the limited abilities in this game, it would end up being rather boring.  Potentially somewhat pretty (though many storms are just grey and blinding, and I'd imagine whatever 'special effects' that look amazing would get old after a month or so of encountering them), but overall boring.

• Like 1