Game-Labs Forum

Collection of suggestions

First of all, I want to thank the devs. This is shaping up to be one of my favorite games ever. It improves with each patch too. Looking forward to seeing what it comes out to be. In my six or so months playing, I've come up with a few suggestions. Here they are:

1) Disabling the HUD while in OW should also hide the names/factions of ports.

2) Allow us to see who all is in a particular chat tab, more specifically the nation tab. This way we can determine how many of our faction are online.

3) Crew should be treated similar to damage taken in battle. If you lose 20 crew, you should drop down to 90% or so and take the appropriate penalties. You would then sail to port and, like a repair, pay gold to hire more crew.

4) More effects for ships which explode/sink. Splitting in half, breaking apart, etc.

5) Fires should be slightly more difficult to put out.

6) Ships which run aground or hit shallows should take damage in the OW.

7) Players should not be able to determine the type/faction of a distant ship until within a specific distance.

8) Spyglass available in the OW, which would help players determine ship types at distance.

9) When ships are engaged in boarding action, smoke effects at least should appear on the decks to indicate the action taking place to other ships in the battle.

10) Notice boards for ports. Players who enter a port should be able to view a notice board where other players can leave messages requesting orders for ships, clan recruiting messages, certain items, etc. The player who could fullfill these requests can then message/mail the other player directly to open the communication. These notices could expire after so many days.

I'm sure some of these have been touched upon before. But I just wanted to put this forward.

• Like 2

3) Crew should be treated similar to damage taken in battle. If you lose 20 crew, you should drop down to 90% or so and take the appropriate penalties. You would then sail to port and, like a repair, pay gold to hire more crew.

I think I agree with this. Whenever I take heavy casualties, I also suffer a lot of battle damage. So it would be relatively rare to return to port based on crew damage alone.

The exception is boarding. But permanent crew damage from boarding could be used to fruitfully rebalance the whole system. Let us take prizes with us to sell in any port, making it easier to earn money this way. On the other hand, the need to replenish crew will slow down our captures. AI ships can lose some of their OP boarding capabilities too. Once cash-for-damage goes away, this will be necessary anyhow.

6) Ships which run aground or hit shallows should take damage in the OW.

This should never happen. Real captains had charts, and we do not. Most of us sail AFK half the time anyhow.

Now, when we get shoals in battle instances I absolutely want to see ships getting stuck or bilged. So that small vessels can fight in dangerous waters that constrict the maneuvers of their larger foes. Your frigate can chase that trader's brig into the shallows, but you might pay a high price.

8) Spyglass available in the OW, which would help players determine ship types at distance.

There are technical challenges here.

• Like 3

This should never happen. Real captains had charts, and we do not. Most of us sail AFK half the time anyhow.

Which brings me to another suggestion I had forgotten. What if there was some sound notification to alert you when you were close to shallows. Something like the "leadsman" calling out the depth as he read it off the line. Obviously it'd be too much to ask for accurate depth measurements. But just something to alert you.

• Like 1

I've suggested modules for traders. Specifically: a 'cargo master' which would increase the hold size of a ship and 'horse trader*' which would enable a captain to pay less, receive more, for resources bought and sold in ports.

*for non-native English speakers, this is a euphamism for somebody good at negotiating prices.

4) More effects for ships which explode/sink. Splitting in half, breaking apart, etc.

I have touched on this one before and highly agree, it will make things much more immersive and generally nice to see (especially when it comes to explosions)

5) Fires should be slightly more difficult to put out.

I think if the devs do this right it can work out but if they do it wrong then it will end up that each time you get a slight fire you will not be able to control it.

1) Disabling the HUD while in OW should also hide the names/factions of ports.

This would add a bit more to open world immersion and be very good for screenshot artists.

I've suggested modules for traders. Specifically: a 'cargo master' which would increase the hold size of a ship and 'horse trader*' which would enable a captain to pay less, receive more, for resources bought and sold in ports.

*for non-native English speakers, this is a euphamism for somebody good at negotiating prices.

Yes this is definitely coming

• Like 2

my own list of sudgestions 

1) on map, on conquest section be able to see what harbor has been fliped last 24h

2) put durabilities on modules
put 5 dura on each module to prevent people to save them when they just have 1 dura left on the ship.

that would create a certain amont of object destruction to keep economy going. no more ultra pimp modules.

3) be able to upgrade and harbor by giving ressources/gold to improve production, shipyards, better port battle defenses

4) Unable to craft ships > 4 rank in all harbor, put very key strategical harbors

5) no more neutral nation / free port ( safe outpost at the moment)

6) changing wind strenght during a battle.  +OW ?

7)differents max durabilities between ships.
7 and 6 ranks, 5 dura ( noob playground )
5 and 4 ranks 3 dura ( most of player)

3 ,2 and first rank 1 dura ( make SOL Rare and valuable , sail with it in a particular objective ( big battle/ PB ))
+better economy cause of more destruction

8) No timer to join a battle, able people to call reinforcement at any time that could lead to change the battle 

9) for AI fleet 
grappe shot option

bording ?

10) allow player in a trader ship to be alble to dock in a ennemy ship for trading ?  help small nation wih few harbor to grab some ressources, they may not have if they don't have any harbor expect their capital

11) for a PB need to put the harbor vunerable by destroying certain amont of ships in the area of the harbor ? limit the number of quick fliping ports

12) find an solution alowing people to bring back their stuff stuck in a ennemy port ( previously his port) , maybe look to number 10

13) increase verticale dispertion, at the moment horizontale dispersion >> verticale disperstion, why ?

14) create a feature allowing player to change nation ? letter of mark ? ...

15) 3D damage models yard -> allowing to destroy one sail

16) in port , conquest section, just show the harbor in range when you can create a flag

lots of people may don't appreciate my sudgestions , any good or bad criticism is welcome

• Like 1

2) put durabilities on modules

put 5 dura on each module to prevent people to save them when they just have 1 dura left on the ship.

that would create a certain amont of object destruction to keep economy going. no more ultra pimp modules.

4) Unable to craft ships > 4 rank in all harbor, put very key strategical harbors

7)differents max durabilities between ships.

3 ,2 and first rank 1 dura ( make SOL Rare and valuable , sail with it in a particular objective ( big battle/ PB ))

I really like these 3. Especially #7. I feel like 5 dura is a bit much. But I wouldn't be surprised if Dura is the way it is now due to it being Alpha testing.

I really like these 3. Especially #7. I feel like 5 dura is a bit much. But I wouldn't be surprised if Dura is the way it is now due to it being Alpha testing.

i hope devs planned to change the durability system on ships. and add something to destroy some modules to keep economy running. if it's not the case everybody will be on full yellow upgrades, and low level upgrades will be completly useless

1) on map, on conquest section be able to see what harbor has been fliped last 24h

2) put durabilities on modules   not yet but i have good felling to see something like this implemented soon 

3) be able to upgrade and harbor by giving ressources/gold to improve production, shipyards, better port battle defenses  planned : port battle roadmap 

5) no more neutral nation / free port ( safe outpost at the moment)

6) changing wind strenght during a battle.  +OW ?

7)differents max durabilities between ships.       9.3 big yes , finnaly , SOL bill be still very nice but risky to use, now you have to chose your ship in matter what you want to do. and remin in a sandbox don' use what you can't offer to pay twice

8) No timer to join a battle, able people to call reinforcement at any time that could lead to change the battle  planned: por port battle roadmap, it will be a great addition

9) for AI fleet 

grappe shot option

bording ?

10) allow player in a trader ship to be alble to dock in a ennemy ship for trading ?  help small nation wih few harbor to grab some ressources, they may not have if they don't have any harbor expect their capital  9.3 i trader carrying your ressources, that's nice

11) for a PB need to put the harbor vunerable by destroying certain amont of ships in the area of the harbor ? limit the number of quick fliping ports  will be soon with the port battle roadmap something like this planned with harbor roadmap

12) find an solution alowing people to bring back their stuff stuck in a ennemy port ( previously his port) , maybe look to number 10

13) increase verticale dispertion, at the moment horizontale dispersion >> verticale disperstion, why ?

14) create a feature allowing player to change nation ? letter of mark ? ...

15) 3D damage models yard -> allowing to destroy one sail

16) in port , conquest section, just show the harbor in range when you can create a flag

lots of people may don't appreciate my sudgestions , any good or bad criticism is welcome

with 9.2 and 9.3 update, i feel undersood

Edited by tatannn
  • Like 1