Game-Labs Forum

'Friderichsværn' Danish Frigate 1783 (With Plans)

Malachi

Plans:

8MpXqZh.jpg?1

Sheer and Body Plan for Kiel

rrD2ATu.jpg?1

Stern and Head

AYarP9J.jpg?1

Sailplan (1801)

udUcCfg.jpg?1

Cross Section

Dimensions:

Length:                                                          127' (danish)        / 130' 10'' (imperial)

Breadth:                                                          36' (danish)        /   37' 1''    (imperial)

Depth in Hold:                                                 17' 2'' (danish)    /   17' 8''    (imperial)

Draught Foreward                                                                          14' 2''    (imperial)

Draught Aft                                                                                     15' 2''    (imperial)

Height of middle gunport above the water                                       6' 2'' (imperial)

L/B Ratio              3,53

Armament:

26* danish 12-pounders

10* danish 4-pounders (later replaced by 12-pounder carronades)

Designed by H. Gerner, probably Denmarks most eminent shipwright in the 18th century, Friderichsværn was one of seven ships of the Bornholm-class. Launched 1784 and captured by HMS Comus before the 2nd Battle of Copenhagen. Sold 1814.

Other ships in class:

Bornholm       (1774)

Kiel                (1775)

Moen             (1777)

St. Thomas    (1779)

Cronborg        (1781)

Det Store Belt (1782)

Edited by Malachi
  • Like 3

Royal stunsails and staysails. Think they hate calm weather enough?

And is it just me or is her rig enormous? The ratio of mainmast to LBP is greater than 1:1, and that's only measuring from the deck up to the royal yard.

By comparison, Surprise's mast with royal pole and room for skysails is only 89% as long as the hull (according to GameLabs' new data in this subforum). 

• Like 1

I've seen some other plans from the late 18th century / early 19th century with quite extraordinary rig sizes. I did some digging on two of them (a brig and a schooner,

both English) and both were just that: plans. As far as I could figure out they were never build.

So maybe, this one didn't make it to the building phase either?

~Brigand

And is it just me or is her rig enormous? The ratio of mainmast to LBP is greater than 1:1, and that's only measuring from the deck up to the royal yard.

By comparison, Surprise's mast with royal pole and room for skysails is only 89% as long as the hull (according to GameLabs' new data in this subforum).

You can find a rather high ratio on many danish frigates, starting with Krabbe´s ships in the 1750s; interestingly, the L/B ratio usually was pretty modest, between 3.5 and 3.8. One of the many peculiarities of danish shipbuilding was that the navy recruited their ship designers from the naval officer corps, so I assume they knew what would work and what not in reality.

But it does look enormous, yes :P

For comparison, here´s the sailplan for the Bornhom, dated 1774:

gYM00z4.jpg?1

Edited by Malachi