Game-Labs Forum

Naval Action: Ship Sizes and Dimensions

admin

could be whats in which kind of state.

I mean: We know Niagara is coming soon to Naval Action.

I assume its "Project 2" in the list.

One of the SoLs is the Ingermanland and one is the Buccentaure.

Another ship on the list is indefatigable and they tease us with the frigate "Essex"

note that I am not informed on the ships and their wip status. Its a personal guess

Devs please use side view pictures of ships in future 'Ship Stats' window. If you remember Potbs, they had every ship listed. What you can do is add side view of every ship, add interactive buttons where players can see stats change if new mods are installed. One click customization would be great too. 

Example:

uQblnsb.jpg

• Like 8

If anyone of you is interested:

I wrote a little script which calculates the historical BOMs from 1694 and 1720

These are the results I came up with using the data above.

klick me

edit: updated database

Interesting, which formula did you use (different countries used different systems of measurement which, conveniently enough, changed during the ages).

~Brigand

Interesting, which formula did you use (different countries used different systems of measurement which, conveniently enough, changed during the ages).

~Brigand

check the data again. brigand. I listed them below;)

1720: (l_gundeck(k)-(beam(k)*3/5)*beam(k)^2/2)/94

1694: l_gundeck(k)-(beam(k)*3/5)*distance_keel_to_deck(k)

I agree that its not the very best format but here you go:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Builder's_Old_Measurement

Check the ones for 1720 and 1694 out.

I like Wind idea about ship customization - of course not pink ships with hello kitty sails :blink:  - lets say 3-4 historical paint schemes or something

I said it before and I'll say it again. All I ask for is a tall ship that is actually the Niagara with flames on the bow. :P

Surprise gun deck length in game = 40.5m; breadth 9.6m. Unite / HMS Surprise actual gun deck length = 38.5m; breadth 9.65m. Seems she is overlong. Error or intentional? Would explain why Frigate which should have longer gun deck seems small in comparison.

I knew it! Right when OW came out I maneuvered my Surprise next to the (as yet unreleased) frigate and thought, 'this can't be right.'

Even in her proper dimensions she is a strange bird, though. Extremely round body plan, built to access shallow harbors and ride the trades. Really quite different from any other frigate of the mid-late 18th century. 

Hard to believe she´s been designed by Forfait, huh?

But the Brits did a very nice job making her as ugly as they possibly could. For comparison, here´s Unité´s sister Tourterelle as captured:

http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/83112.html

The same round body as Forfait´s larger Romaine-class (24-pounder 'bomb-corvettes').

Edited by Malachi

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...