Game-Labs Forum

Feedback Patch v1.6

Nick Thomadis

The more I play the more I am just astounded at: 

1. How far Union units retreat

2. Union morale is ludicrous

3. I can win half way through but my troops behave as though they have just been routed! No morale boost for success whatsoever.

4. The Union seems to have a sort of leak, the morale just saps and saps no matter how well they do.

Way to go Nick!

{You'll be hearing from my lawyer on the carpal tunnel syndrome I get from constantly pushing blinking union units forward.}

I'm still poking around at general Union vs Confed balance, but the thing that has caught my eye is that artillery is picking closer targets that happen to be LOS blocked by friendly units. I can manually pick an enemy further away that the artillery will then fire at, but after a volley they will switch back to aiming at the target they can't shoot. This is common when I have artillery near the top of a hill with infantry below.

This screenshot shows a typical formation where this will happen. The arty on Oak Hill will target Baxter or Bucktail, usually be blocked, but if I select someone on Oak Ridge to target they will start popping shots off until they auto switch targets again. 

http://i.imgur.com/IKBC01l.jpg

(Tried to make a link or include as an attachment and the forum dropped the hammer on me, dunno what's up with that)

Alright. After getting the hang of a few tricks I can pretty much crush the AI again, though I take more losses and have harder decisions than the previous builds. My solution to the Oak Hill dilemma is as follows  - everything that comes to the East of that hill in this screenshot gets eviscerated. I still think we need some better work with arty targeting from hilltops with friendly infantry below them, but whether that comes in this game or the next one, I'll live.

Anyway, screenie of me trying out some Napoleon mass battery tactics: http://i.imgur.com/RuVzw90.jpg

• Like 1

Just tried to play a couple of MP matches again after a long break but the game is not fun for me anymore. It seems that the endless balancing between UN and CSA is not enough to keep my attention:-). But anyway this is the great game and one of my most played with 280 hours on record so far. Thank you. Looking forward for the next one.

I've stopped playing as well: RIP UGG. The game doesn't even work anymore.

The best answers are often the simplist ones. The endless noodling with troop ratings was absurd. Trying to create two separate armies that had so many differences made no sense at all. Also I would hope you would reach out to me or others that might seem like tough customers to help beta the new game.  At the very least you'll get straight talk that you need for success.

Will of course check out the new game when it arrives, for now UGG multiplayer is no longer a viable game between two opponents.

Always a supporter even though it might not seem so, just loved playing the game when both sides were better matched.

Cheers!

Brian

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Let me first start by saying I've never enjoyed a strategy game as much as I did with UGG, especially the multiplayer matches. Going through those battles just felt epic on many occasions.

Sadly I must side with some here who think the confederates are OP on many scenarios with the last patch, the exception being perhaps Benner Hill and Ewell advance, due to a natural advantage towards union troops (numbers/positions). Previous patch from september wasn't 10/10 perfect, but it was certainly the most balanced.

My simple argument would be that I've defeated players who were more skilled than me just because I chose CSA on the last patch. The opposite is also true. 

Regardless I'll remain faithful to this series and eagerly await the next game. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

While I don't agree with the manner in which Myes! chose to express his opinion, the content of his statements have my hearty agreement. 

The game was really quite perfect a few months ago (right before V 1.5 I believe). Since then, the balancing has been a bit catastrophic. The Rebels appear to have been armed with some kind of bullet reflecting armour, and the Federal artillery has become the Earthly Manifestation of the Wrath of God. Federal artillery has been able to obliterate over 140 men in a single round of canister (which as Mr. Flair will attest is completely impossible), and I have watched Federal infantry on high ground, with 70% cover and superior numbers, decimated by completely exposed Confederates. Honestly, putting in US infantry feels like murder. 

What this results in is battles where I genuinely don't know if the Iron Brigade Culp's Hill can defeat Perry's Brigade on the ground, and where Federal artillery has comically over rated kills of over 1000 in a single battle. As a Union only player, I can still win, but seeing my men wiped out by impossible Confederate volleys, only to have those Rebels repeatedly checked by absurd artillery, has taken all of the fun out of a once great game.

I really had hoped that the game would return to its former caliber, and that the mistakes of these patches would be ameliorated, Sadly, I was wrong, and at this point the Brother vs Brother Civil War mod is looking like a more accurate depiction of the war between the States then UGG. 

At this point, maybe it would be best to let players customize the damage output and inputs ourselves, so that those of us who want a more balanced and realistic experience can do so (although I would certainly prefer a return to UGG's older, sublime state). 

• Like 4

The game of course in multi-player is broken. the morale setting for Union are absurd. Nick refuses to address it and I think I finally know why:

The code is the same for AI and multi-player. Nick knows that most folks are AI REB players and its an effort to please the market that provides the most revenue? This is the only conclusion I can come to.

I play but if I play say extremely adept players that have conformed their game play to the Super REB capabilities its a disaster. There is no tactics for a lot of these folks. I just played a game ( Ambush66 ) and he employed the "Ball Of Rebs" strategy. Simply balling up the REBS and bulldozing onto Round Top. Now keep in mind he left all other areas of the map undefended. After all my Union routed and he destroyed all of the artillery on the mountain he simple marched to the remaining VP's and the game was over. Not his fault, he is simply using a broken piece of code to win, its no longer a game at that point.

Nick plays the game in an elegant way as it is tested, instead he should test play the game with these goofy game styles in mind and figure out how to disallow not playing the game as intended.

As a final note, as I've described exhaustively, the morale setting for Union are absurd. The UberReb is such a bizarre creation. Strange indeed.

Mr. Mercanto,

Just for clarification are you looking for the multiplayer, single player, or both to be revised to a more historically representative game?

Mr. Flair,

Good question, I should have clarified that. I was only referring to the single player content. I do not enjoy multiplayer and have not played it. I feel I lack the wherewith all to prescribe any solutions for it, I imagine though, that the historical imbalances I have listed are problematic for multiplayer as well. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello and sorry for not addressing before the latest posts which were quite offensive.

Posts hidden to disallow any further continuation on the subject.

We would like to read constructive feedback, not direct accusations to devs, nor bad words vs other members of the forum.

Thank you for the understanding.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello and sorry for not addressing before the latest posts which were quite offensive.

Posts hidden to disallow any further continuation on the subject.

We would like to read constructive feedback, not direct accusations to devs, nor bad words vs other members of the forum.

Thank you for the understanding.

Nick,

I am sorry that some forum users have chosen to conduct themselves so poorly. However many of us who have been very polite in our criticisms, myself included, would truly appreciate a response to our feedback. Before the slew of strange, controversial updates after v 1.5, this game was perfect. Honestly I was amazed it was even being updated. It genuinely breaks my heart to see it in this unplayable state, and for months I haven't been able to bring myself to play what was once my favourite game of 2014 and one of my favourite tactics games of all time. Were I given the option, I would gladly pay to have my copy reverted to its condition in v1.5, and I feel many others would concur with this. 

Please, Nick and Game-Labs, could you re-release the earlier version of the game and just leave it like that. Your team's commitment to the game has been beyond extraordinary, and you do not, nor did you,, owe us so many updates beyond v 1.5. Its such a pity that all of your hard work and commitment has unintentionally led to the breaking of this game. There is no need to force us to use this poor final version. You don't need to make anymore tweeks, anymore changes, just please give us back what we once had! It was amazing!

A sincere and sincerely sad fan. 

• Like 1

Nick,

I am sorry that some forum users have chosen to conduct themselves so poorly. However many of us who have been very polite in our criticisms, myself included, would truly appreciate a response to our feedback. Before the slew of strange, controversial updates after v 1.5, this game was perfect. Honestly I was amazed it was even being updated. It genuinely breaks my heart to see it in this unplayable state, and for months I haven't been able to bring myself to play what was once my favourite game of 2014 and one of my favourite tactics games of all time. Were I given the option, I would gladly pay to have my copy reverted to its condition in v1.5, and I feel many others would concur with this. 

Please, Nick and Game-Labs, could you re-release the earlier version of the game and just leave it like that. Your team's commitment to the game has been beyond extraordinary, and you do not, nor did you,, owe us so many updates beyond v 1.5. Its such a pity that all of your hard work and commitment has unintentionally led to the breaking of this game. There is no need to force us to use this poor final version. You don't need to make anymore tweeks, anymore changes, just please give us back what we once had! It was amazing!

A sincere and sincerely sad fan. 

Other games have an option (within Steam) to opt for beta patches to be used instead of the last, official one.

Maybe this could be done for UG:G as well - this way, only those who would like to revert to a previous version would do so, intentionally. All the others would go on with 1.6 as if nothing happened. Another win-win situation, IMHO.

The icing on the cake would be making possible for two users with a previous patch to play together in MP (but I guess there should be really no problem with this).

• Like 1

Other games have an option (within Steam) to opt for beta patches to be used instead of the last, official one.

Maybe this could be done for UG:G as well - this way, only those who would like to revert to a previous version would do so, intentionally. All the others would go on with 1.6 as if nothing happened. Another win-win situation, IMHO.

The icing on the cake would be making possible for two users with a previous patch to play together in MP (but I guess there should be really no problem with this).

I love this idea! I would be so happy if I could return to V 1.5!

I really just wish Game Labs would let me revert to 1.5  :(. This was my favourite game, and I use to promote it ceaselessly to my friends. When 1.6 came out it was heartbreaking. I loved this game and the patch ruined it. :( I wish Game Labs would give me my game back. 

• Like 1

Posted this in your steam forums, but might as well post them here too.

Wishes for next update
I just bought the game and I must say I love it! But. there are a few things that I would like to see in an upcoming update.
1: Ability to retreat from battle that is abviously lost. Nothing more annyoing the fighing a battle you know you can`t win, only to be stuck in the battle. A reatreat from battle option should be implementet.
2: Coop or versus campaign. Would love to be able to play the campaign against a human oponent, be it random player or a friend.
3: Better tutorial. Maybe a tutorial mission?
4: More than 1v1 multiplayer.
5: Rebel yell!
6: Maybe som more civil war battles? i know it`s called Gettysburg but being ablte to play bull run or other battles would be epic. Som form of campaign map with resources and stuff like in total war would make this game perfect.
Also, i have encountered a mp problem when playing with friends.
Victory for both sides in beginning of match.
When playing wiht my friend online we both get victory messages after only a few minutes of gameplay and the game ends. Don`t know if anyone else hase this problem but me and my friend can`t play more than a few minutes.

Welcome to the Ultimate General Community DreadedNorwegian!

Sadly I do not think any further updates for the game are in the cards. For all of its strengths and weaknesses, this is the game we have. That being said, Game Labs are developing their follow up game Ultimate General: Antietam, which we have to look forward to!

Welcome to the Ultimate General Community DreadedNorwegian!

Sadly I do not think any further updates for the game are in the cards. For all of its strengths and weaknesses, this is the game we have. That being said, Game Labs are developing their follow up game Ultimate General: Antietam, which we have to look forward to!

Thx! Got a response from the dev on faceebook, saying that they (he?) were still looking to improve the game, but that they were working on the next game at the moment. Anyway, I hope the continue the work on both games, especially mp for gettysburg.