Game-Labs Forum

Venetian/Italian Ship Collection (With Plans)

Regina

Sardinian

50-gun(?) frigate

(1829)

Bandiera_animata_flag_Regno_di_Sardegna_                                                               Bandiera_animata_flag_Regno_di_Sardegna_31.jpg?sequence=2

Characteristics:

Weight:1400 tonnes

Lenght:50 meters

Width:12(?) meters

Draft:6(?) meters

Armament:40 or 50x 20 or 40 pdr guns

Source:http://duilioship.eu/xmlui/bitstream/handle/10621/66/31%20fregata%20Regina.pdf?sequence=1

Any more info on her would be appreciated.

Edited by Sella22

@That first rate: Whoa. A bit old for me, but... that is one heck of a ship. 

I also like that 64 (judging by the gun ports, though you call it a frigate) in the post above that of the 1st rate. Its design seems nicely streamlined, both literally and figuratively. It's decorated, but without going crazy on the decorations. 

Amazing post mate, very nice! Unfortunately, I don't know about venetian routes in the Caribbean. Can you tell me about it? Have any articles? Would be great to see the Venetian flag added in the game, and some ships maybe, just to diversify the nations! Why not  ;)

Thanks a lot mate!I just have to clarify that a lot of people were involved in this search 

Unfortunately i know nothing about it either!I haven't heard of venetians in the Caribbean.My guess is that they were mainly involved in trade in the Mediterranean. If you come across any articles i would love to read them as well :)

That's what we are trying to do!Proposing ships that weren't made by the usual suspects and as you can see by yourself,most of my posts in the shipyard section are just like these 

Edited by Sella22

Thanks a lot mate!I just have to clarify that a lot of people were involved in this search 

Unfortunately i know nothing about it either!I haven't heard of venetians in the Caribbean.My guess is that they were mainly involved in trade in the Mediterranean. If you come across any articles i would love to read them as well :)

That's what we are trying to do!Proposing ships that weren't made by the usual suspects and as you can see by yourself,most of my posts in the shipyard section are just like these 

Yep I see! Would be interesting to see any articles about Ottoman ships, they used a nice vessels

Bir_Osmanli_Kalyonu.jpg

Amazing post mate, very nice! Unfortunately, I don't know about venetian routes in the Caribbean. Can you tell me about it? Have any articles? Would be great to see the Venetian flag added in the game, and some ships maybe, just to diversify the nations! Why not  ;)

Venetian trade did extend all around Europe, there are plenty of ships designed for ocean voyages going back to the 1300s. The London and Antwerp voyages are fairly well documented while there is less on the voyages to the hansiatic ports there still a decent amount of information. Having had a quick look on the internet there seems to be a vague trend of trading glass to the Caribbean then taking back coffee and tobacco to the Italian ports but I haven't found any major articles about it worth reading, just snippets of things.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Unknown

Venetian "Primo Rango" First rate

01.jpg

Could be the San Carlo Borromeo.Notice that lovely paint scheme.

Or one of the two ships at the end of the list: 

http://www.veniceboats.com/it-progetti-piani-navi-grosse.htm

https://youtu.be/1j5RcMuoED0?t=7m20s 7:20-7:38

Edited by Sella22
  • Like 1

Unknown

Venetian "Primo Rango" First rate

01.jpg

Those Venetians had an odd way of rating their ships, compared to everyone else. Counting the gun ports, that "first rate" looks like a 64. :P

Although, that's probably one of the biggest ships they built, so when you think about it that way...

Edited by Arvenski

Those Venetians had an odd way of rating their ships, compared to everyone else. Counting the gun ports, that "first rate" looks like a 64. :P

Although, that's probably one of the biggest ships they built, so when you think about it that way...

Yeap they couldn't build larger ships because that meant bigger depth on the hull which wasnt an option for the mostly shallow waters of the mediterrenean(notice the flat bottoms on most of the plans).Also if i remember correctly ALL of the ships needed to be able to sail in the Arsenale di Venezia.So basically through this(the bridge was added at a much later stage):

Venezia_Arsenale_di_Venezia_001.JPG

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venetian_Arsenal

Edited by Sella22

Shallow draft ships are massively common in Venice more to do with the make up of the lagoon than the Mediterranean ports, the arsenal expansions with the deep dry docks for line ships did make it possible to build them there, but for the most part their bigger ships were built in private shipyards outside of Venice.

Edited by Fluffy Fishy

Yeah, having to sail through that definitely looks like it'd restrict how big you wanted your ship to be. :P

Also there is a deep water entrance to the arsenal from the other side, that's just the land gate and the canal they used to outfit the galleys ready for sea using a stage process similar to a modern assembly line.

Yeah i wasn't really sure about that and it's a shame that i can't find where i read it from.What i also remember is that the Venetian had some limitations compared to other European powers regarding shipbuilding.It had something to do with the Arsenal.I'm not a 100% sure though.Any more info would be greatly appreciated ;)