Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Flavalicious

Would it be possible for us to test distance based leaving of battles?

Hey admins, with the recent changes to how AI traders can leave battle (distance of 750+ meters), I was wondering if it would be possible for us to test that system with player ships in the near future.  Many ships like the bellepoule, renomee, and many others lack front chasers despite being capable of catching those players, but never will due to the current mechanics.  Unless those ships are designed to fit into a team fighting environment I would love to see them be viable in pvp chases if the leaving mechanic was distance based.   This would still allow ships with front chasers to have the advantage of being able to chain as they close, while giving ships with rear chasers a chance to use them to slow down their attacker. 

• Like 16

+1 to this idea, It would make things much better for people in the BellePoule ect..... and I think it would make things a bit more fun and exiting as well. ;)

Edited by GoldenEagleLeader

Yes I agree with this 100%. It has a parallel to killing NPCs as well. If you are chasing a trader in small ships without bow guns you have to yaw every minute to keep the npc tagged in. This has not be fun game play to me. You can keep the timer in there but add a distance metric as well.

honestly the time out is kinda odd, being able to pop out of a battle when next to a hostel ship shouldn't happen, unless you are sailing a romulan sloop of war with a cloaking devise.

• Like 2

It was a good system for early OW but i think adding the mechanic to the AI traders has shown us that a similar system for players could benefit everyone. Even if it doesnt work out i think its worth testing for a period of time :)

A pure distance-based system is a non-starter because of opportunities for trolling and endless chases.

You have to keep the timer, but make it depend on distance and closure rate.

• Like 3

Eh, i think trolling is bound to happen anyway we cut it. Look at the times when your inching past your chasers but they still lob their long canon shots out like 1200m to keep you in the battle lol. Shouldnt be many situations were the angle of sail and both ships are the same speed. Regardless id still take the odd troll over someome right beside me vanishing because i didnt hit them with a ball in the last 120 seconds lol

• Like 2

Why not mix it?

Just as an example (i dont really know how much these distances are in-game^^):

less than 600m: no leaving

600m-999m: 5 minute timer

1000m-1199m: 2 minute timer

1200m and above: You can leave any time

• Like 3

Why not mix it?

Main problem there is it can take more then 5 minutes to catch if your only slightly faster.

Why not mix it?

Main problem there is it can take more then 5 minutes to catch if your only slightly faster.

If you rely on being faster, you should attack the enemy closer than 600m then. This will prevent long boring chases and reduce the time needed to actually attack your target in battle.

Also, it will make it really hard catching enemies in OW at a good distance who dont want to fight, making ganking harder. (Smaller vessels can turn quickly before getting pulled into battle and get a distance advantage).

Edited by Havelock

If you rely on being faster, you should attack the enemy closer than 600m then. This will prevent long boring chases and reduce the time needed to actually attack your target in battle.

Also, it will make it really hard catching enemies in OW at a good distance who dont want to fight, making ganking harder. (Smaller vessels can turn quickly before getting pulled into battle and get a distance advantage).

Guess youve never engaged on top of someone and had thr game spawn you 1000m away regardless then eh? Lol

• Like 1

Guess youve never engaged on top of someone and had thr game spawn you 1000m away regardless then eh? Lol

that really bugs me when i tag, i I'm close, with good wind and we enter the arena.  they are far away with the wind advantage wtf

All I know that I am tired of people leaving just because they cut their sails to 0 and I can't do damage with chain or I am trying to protect my sides because I am going up against a stronger ship and can't risk a broadside at that exact moment to keep them in the game.  If they are within 500 meters, they shouldn't be able to leave.  

• Like 4

Yeah, furling sail to prevent chainshot damage is reprehensible.

The damage hitboxes should be there permanently, at least for the Battle sailplan. Maybe with 50% damage penalty.

I don't like only the timer. Sometimes you have to give up the advantage just because you have to tag. Otherwise the other player vanishes 100m next to you.

There should be a combination of both. When you are in a certain distance to an enemy time runs down and you can leave.

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 1

I actually like the sail pulling game, i think theres some cleverness to timing dropping your sails to avoid being tagged but a hit should be a hit. If your shot touches anywhere on that ship, damage or no damage it should reset the counter. And if you SEE splinters it should certainly count. I think distance based is the way go :)

I actually like the sail pulling game, i think theres some cleverness to timing dropping your sails

*vomits*

In War Thunder can you order your crew to bail out of the tank, wait for the enemy's HESH round to impact, then climb back in to resume fighting? It would be really clever and protect you from the spall.

*vomits explosively*

• Like 1

IMO, raising sails should be much slower, and we should have to rely on more on manual sail control to temporarily reduce speed. As it there is almost no reason to use battle sails persistently in a battle. You just "flash" battle sails as someone shoots at you.

So after having to play ships like Cerberus, Renommee and Belle Poule for the first time due to rank restrictions and trying to pvp with them as a change of pace to numb AI grinding I am wondering if these ships were made for players who only participate in PvE? Because trying to attack players and keep them tagged inside the instance with these is just a bad joke and only because of the current mechanics where bow chasers are vital to keeping your target inside the instance. And you can always prevent one from getting a close tag by countertagging it from far away so it never catches you in the instance to turn it's broadside to you for a tag. I can totally understand why people who pvp skipped these ships and went yacht - frigate and so on.

Maybe steer away from realism/history for a second and give customizable option to add at least 1 bow chaser to these ships if current mechancis of tagging are set in stone?

Lol. It works for a game play skill cap perspective :P. The largest problem is you click battle sails and instantly half your canvas roll up even though your at 99% sails still. If they made it so the sheets stayed up longer then it could become something more akin to skillful game play.

• Like 1

So, I've been having an issue with this. Some guy came into my mission, I wasn't willing to fight both the bot + his bot fleet and him in a Niagra, so I decided to split them apart by running away for a bit. Eventually when I was about to turn around to start engaging he left. After that while I was sailing home from my mission I saw him again, so I decided to engage him. Unfortunately he wasn't keen on fighting when the odds weren't hugely in his favor, so he ran while telling his bot fleet to attack my sails... I was still able to catch up, but because of the stupid battle timer being only a couple minutes, he got away. I tried again, and he got away again. It's stupid that there isn't a mechanic that makes it impossible to leave if you are within a certain range of your enemy. I think this basically kills the open world pvp in this game since it's nearly impossible to catch up to anyone within the couple minutes you are given to catch up. I guess I'll just grind missions until they do something about this. I like the idea of not being able to leave if you are within 750 meters of your enemy.

Why can't we add bow chasers to all of the frigate-type vessels (especially those that are perfect for running enemies down like the Renommee)? They were standard on vessels, and it would fix a lot of the tagging issues in-battle.