Game-Labs Forum

'Twelve Apostles' Russian 1st rate (1847)

Ned Loe

Devenstadt Apostolov - The Twelve Apostles" Russian Imperial Ship of the line

The "Twelve Apostles" was a 120-gun 3 decked ship of the line built by the Russian shipwright Captain S. I. Chernyakovsky. 

It was launched on the 15th July 1841 and became part of Russia's Black Sea Fleet. Its lower deck had twenty eight 68-pounder guns designed by the Russian artillerist Lekhner. On the other two decks there were 36 and 24-pounder guns. 
Although the ship was titled "120-gun" the ship actually carried 130 guns. The crew of the ship consisted of about 1000 men, among which were 12 officers and 65 corporals. 
The city of Sevastopol was the home of the Tsar's Black Sea Fleet, which threatened the Mediterranean. Sevastopol is one of the classic sieges of all time, the siege was the culminating struggle for the strategic Russian port in 1854–1855 and was the final episode in the Crimean War. On the 13th February 1855, the Twelve Apostles was ordered to Sevastopol Bay to form a second beam line along with six other vessels. The Russian commanders arrived at the hard but a most sensible decision, to submerge the ships across the entrance channel to prevent entry to the port, thus assisting the shoreline batteries. The ship's crew disembarked to reinforce the city's defenses, the Twelve Apostles was scuttled and sank.

2_2.jpg

1.jpg

12-apostolov.jpg

1_1.jpg

2_1.jpg

2_3.jpg

4.jpg

Edited by Sella22

Pretty ship guys, but it's so late, we are getting very close to ships like Napoleon, Gloire and Gladiator and those are some ships that I not only don't want, but would hate even being seriously suggested.

Oh sorry, I just realized it's not a shipyard :-). Then it is ok :-)

Edited by marecek05

Pretty ship guys, but it's so late, we are getting very close to ships like Napoleon, Gloire and Gladiator and those are some ships that I not only don't want, but would hate even being seriously suggested.

That's why this ship is presented in the History section, not in the shipyard !!! For educational purpose... 

So no need to hate, just open up this opportunity to learn and share about a subject I guess you might like beside playing NA (and Battle Rate issue) : the history of Age of sail.  :)

Edited by LeBoiteux