Game-Labs Forum

Player ship selection 1st Half 2016

admin

clarification:

Belle Poule ingame is the ship from 1766.

Ships from the years: 1670-1825 are acceptable.
1730-1790 is preferred

please keep the discussions out of this thread.

Ideally it will only contain ship-requests.

I hide the ship from 1841. Way out of the period

we will hide offtopic and unreasonable ship-proposals

From Steel's thread of Dutch ships:

44-gun, unknown, 1807

fNSvpqJ.jpg

I repost these in the blind hope that we can get ships that can compete with trinco/connie. Those are the ships that matter the most to actual gameplay.

Could one of you geniuses post or PM me ships of this caliber with bow chasers?

• Like 12

For Sweden I nominate...

HMS Wasa (1778)

Designed by Fredrik Henrik af Chapman. Chapman's idea was a ship which despite its small size could deliver much firepower. A smaller ship has the advantages that it's shallow draft can navigate with more freedom and that the reduction of water resistance gives it higher maneuverability and speed. The low height also reduces the drift which helps the vessel to keep in formation and is a smaller target for the enemy bombardment. The result was HMS Wasa. Chapman made it very stiff, so with full sail set it didn't tilt more then ten degrees during 6-7 meters per second.

Type: Fourth rate ship of the line.

Armament: 60 cannons. 26 24-punders, 26 18-pounders, 8  6-pounders.

Length: 48 m.

Breadth: 13,5 m.

Draught: 5,5 m.

Q4xOE1O.jpg?1

V0fVeuj.jpg?1

tFZu1BR.jpg?1

More pictures...

8a3dwOL.jpg?1Wasa1778.jpg

Cross section:

n88LMTs.jpg?1

More blueprints:

6UVi7H8.jpg?1

Sister ship HMS Kronprins Gustaf Adolf:

1280px-Kronprins_Gustaf_Adolf.JPG

More info can be found here.

Edited by Olof Cederström
  • Like 29

I know, french ships won´t be selected, but this one looks too...interesting not to be posted:

wHIlJ0i.jpg?1

http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections.html#!csearch;authority=vessel-341088;browseBy=vessel;vesselFacetLetter=P

French privateer Psyche (1799 - 1816), 24*12-pounders, 10*18-pounder carronades, 4 6-pounders

Can´t find much info about it, but by the looks of it, it could have designed by Pierre Degay. Same experimental design as La Vengeance and La Résistance (HMS Fisgard), but it has more conventional lines (minus the gigantic false keel) and lacks the screwdrives to adjust the rake of the masts at sea.

Edited by Malachi
  • Like 10

Now something special, the swedish Hvita Örn (Hvide Orn in danish service).

Most probably the very first 'true' frigate and way ahead of her time. Launched 1711, armed with 22*8-pounder, later 22*12-pounders. Flagship of Peter Wessel and reputed to be the fastest sailor in the Baltic Sea. Broken up 1751.

LX0RMz4.jpg?1

Edited by Malachi
  • Like 9

Danish Frigate Freja (1793 - 1816). Design by E.W. Stibolt.

Armarment in british service: 26*18-pounders, 14*32-pound carronades, 2 9-pounders

later: 26*24-pounders (Gover, short-barreled), 12*24-pound carronades, 2 9-pounders

xJZwjBB.jpg?1

Edited by Malachi
  • Like 15

Not a huge fan of SoLs, but this is one of the three I´d love to see ingame (the other two are french, so...)

Danish Norske Løve, 70 guns, 1735 - 1764, by Benstrup. Highly successfull design that set the standart for danish ships of the line for decades.

8m9NAZv.jpg?1

2cHCwpE.jpg?1

Edited by Malachi
  • Like 19

Grabbed from SchurkjeBoefje's thread here: http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/3330-dutch-ship-of-the-line-vrijheid-freedom-1782/

Dutch 74-gun SoL "Vrijheid" ("Freedom"), 1782:

linieschip-Vrijheid-74-stukken.jpg

Linieschip-Vrijheid-1782.jpg

Full info in the other thread. Also, if you're looking for plans, Alex Connor said in the other thread that "Royal Museums Greenwich has the plans for Vrijheid but they don't seem to be viewable online."

• Like 11

I understand the British ships are discouraged, yet I feel this is the only frigate that can really rival Constitution.

HMS Endymion, 40-guns, 1797, 26x24pd, 14x32pd carronades, 2x9pd

(plans took from Mighty_Alex's thread, more plans and pictures there -> http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/6373-hms-endymion-1797-the-fastest-ship-in-the-rn-with-plans/)

ZmbsFma.jpg

• Like 8

I understand the British ships are discouraged, yet I feel this is the only frigate that can really rival Constitution.

HMS Endymion, 40-guns, 1797, 26x24pd, 14x32pd carronades, 2x9pd

(plans took from Mighty_Alex's thread, more plans and pictures there -> http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/6373-hms-endymion-1797-the-fastest-ship-in-the-rn-with-plans/)

ZmbsFma.jpg

The HMS Indefatigable is already filling the role of counterpart to the USS Constitution, perhaps in the future we'll see more British made ships, but I would rather see more representation by Spain, Portugal, and the Scandinavian countries.  We also need to see some more medium to large merchant/cargo vessels, be they galleons, fluyts, or Indiamen.

While not necessarily a merchant vessel, I'm wondering if anyone can dig up plans for this Portuguese man o'war:

Portuguese third rate ship of the line "Principe Real" (1771)

34e0eedcffe6141b454b00379ce0ea39.jpg

Edited by Hairy Fishnuts
  • Like 3