Game-Labs Forum

What period would you like the next Ultimate General game to be set in?

131 members have voted

1. 1. What period should the next UG game be set in?

• Antiquity
    • the Middle Ages
    • Renaissance (1450-1600)
    • 17th century (1601-1700)
    • 18th century (1701-1792)
    • the French Revolution and Napoleonic Wars (1792-1815)
    • Post-Napoleonic era (1815-1914)
    • World War 1 (1914-18)
    • World War 2 (1939-1945)
    • The Cold War (1945-1989)
    • Post Cold War world (1989-)

Given the size and  scope of what an Ultimate Genera game can coverl, I'd like to suggest the opening weeks of the WW1 on the Eastern Front, as the Russian's blundered into east Prussia and were caught at Tannenberg. It's a fantastic setting of foreboding forest, countless lakes, narrow corridors between them and sandy cliffs. All of the defining characteristics of WW1 combat (devastating artillery, surveillance balloons and planes, infantry entrenchment, blunted effectiveness of calvary) are present, without the limitation of long term fixed positions. The forces here were still mobile. I'd recommend to anyone to read Solzhenitsyn's August 1914 to grasp why this would be such an excellent fit!

• 3 months later...

personally, i'm a lover of 1700-1945 period, talking about history(war).

europeans tend to downstimate the great potential below the american configuration we can play.

how many games about napoleon and ww2 around !!

so, being an american civil war game, i would hope it will be improved with the several colours and uniforns the war offered (a sort of antietam 2nd generation :D )

anyway, i agree with BeLoHau, rest in America : french-indian war, revolutionary wars (13 colonies, Texas), mexican-american war, the war of 1812, ...

thank you for your work Nick !  i'm just plaing since a couple of days.

• Like 1

The Franco-Prussian (actually German) War would be awesome but probably already too advanced in technology.

Why not the Crimean-Conflict in the 1840?

Or the Spanish Succession Wars in the Netherlands?

Otherwise I'm all for the first "World War": The 7-years war.

I'd have to throw my vote for the napoleonic era. It would seem to present quite a few options in terms of different campaigns like the invasion of Russia, the peninsular campaign, austerlitz, Waterloo and the battles fought in the preceding days. Definitely looking forward to another ultimate general.

Edited by Potemkin
  • Like 1