Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Prater

Capsizing of Large Ships

I watched two of our guys T-bone a 74 at the same time and it rolled right over. They were also in 74s.

But don't remove ramming and sinking altogether. I agree though that it should only be common against the little ships.

Was just in a battle with 2 British frigates and a Brig. 

At one point throughout the battle the 2 frigates were running alongside each other at high speed. Suddenly one of them capsized. (Not sure what happened). 

that was me and another player. we barely tapped each other on our sides. it didnt bother me at all, but when i turned to look the other player had capsized. never should have happened

Capsizing is fixed on the internal testbed build. 

What exactly did they do to rectify it? And I hope by 'fixed' you mean still possible, just within the laws of physics/structure of the ships.

Ramming actually ocurred verry often in sea battles in that age. (in french it is called sabborder) when they yelled-> A L'ABORDAGE !!!

And in most cases they would board the enemy's vessel afterwards for a quick destruction before the ship sank/exploded

It is actually ramming the ship as fastas possible to make a hole in the hull of the enemy ship or at least handicap it so it would sank or suffer greath dammage.

Some even put a ram on the bow of their ship to do so (prob smaller faster vessels) this technique wasn't lost after the fall of the roman empire!

I liked it verry much that asassin's creed : Black flag inserted this option in the game.

But i have to admit that this made the ships look verry ugly...

I hope in the future the ramming would still be possible but that you would deal a dammage cost to the enemy instead of making them sink in an instant.

Now without actually having researched the subject of ramming i'm going to go so far and say this:

Ramming attack were most probably quite rare in the Age of Sail. The Bow is one/was one of the structurally weakest parts of a wooden warship while the sides were made to withstand the impact of several hundred cannonballs (Ergo, the side was very very strong compared to the bow).

The bow itself in a wooden warship is probably rather complex (Looking at a picture of the Hermione it looks like the forefoot of the must be attached to the keel at a very sharp angle. You can also see how the side planking must join the "forefoot" and so the ribs that give the sides of the ship it's strength aren't providing much support to the "forefoot".

While it certainly looks quite solid at first glance, if you take a closer look you can see how the planking, "Forefoot" and strakes have been bent into complex curves and a collision could rather easily dislodge them. As you might imagine this would almost impossible to repair, atleast while in battle and even in favourable conditions it would be a hard thing to fix.
At the same time the water pressure on the hull is greatest on the bow and so any leaks there would let in a load of water.

HnRR4ZN.jpg

(Correct me please if i'm wrong. I'll start looking on the internet for incidents where ramming happened and what caused those incidents) 

(You might be thinking of earlier centuries where cannon's weren't as used. Or of the so called Galley's which did indeed use ramming in the way you describe - These weren't seen much, if at all, in the Carribean.) 

• Like 1

Yes okay, it is true that you have a good argument there.

But i thought that the grip of the bow pieces (jupiter's grip or something...) was rather strong.

And that ramming indeed didnt happen in the carribbean.

I was rather thinking abouth the naval wars around europe and against the algerian pirates for example.

Well if you're fighting Algerian pirates, you can go around splitting galleys and light lateen craft in two all day. An English frigate once did just that.

But when the French shouted A L'ABORDAGE, they were, unsurprisingly, preparing to board, not cause intentional damage by ramming.

Well if you're fighting Algerian pirates, you can go around splitting galleys and light lateen craft in two all day. An English frigate once did just that.

But when the French shouted A L'ABORDAGE, they were, unsurprisingly, preparing to board, not cause intentional damage by ramming.

http://www.wikiart.org/en/hendrick-cornelisz-vroom/dutch-ships-ramming-spanish-galleys-off-the-flemish-coast-in-october-1602-1617#close

:D

Ramming as in ancient Greek and Roman naval warfare and colliding with an intent to board (A L'abordage)  and capture are two very different tactics. I'd agree that ramming was still used in galley warfare in the 16th century (Lepanto), I'd say it was rare even against the Algerian pirates in the 18th-19th century. I'd note that this was against lightly built ships anyway. I know this was discussed during sea trials I just can't find the threads atm.

haha yes,

When i whrote "A L'abordage!" it was ment that they yelled it after they rammed the ship and boarded the enemy vesselfrom the front :D

Think something needs to be checked on this side.  Just had my surprise, going 2 knots, climb a frigate, mid port side (dead middle of his ship, was trying to disengage from boarding), and my ship climbed his at a 45 degree angle, got half my ship into the air then rolled and capsized >.<  lol

Edited by Flavalicious
  • Like 1

I actually was running from a undamaged lynx, just to see if I could maneuver away from it.  It was at my stern a medium distance away, it was pitching to its port side from the wind, then a wave it it on its starboard side which caused it to roll to nearly 90 degrees on its port.  Its sails were touching the sea, then it just fell off the ocean!  Sunk like a rock!  Mind you, this was a undamaged, vessel with nothing around it but the wind :blink: .  I got the win, and xp for the kill!!  :D

The ocean kills many ways

I heard a guild mate cursing the moon last night because a Frigate capsized his Pavel...lol

Yes that was me. No cursing at the time I was to deep in a state of shock. That should not have been possible.

Wow :wacko:

- Mac are you sure you didn't have full sails up and your lower gun ports open in a storm?

Since we don't have that in game this is a serious case of F11  !!

Hope you had more than 1 dura on that Pavel!

Well, my connie just got capsized by a frigate :/ only one dura left on it, cant believe it happened to me ;-;

iB0KDpr.png

wHWYzwX.png

UctHRUQ.png

fBTUxQI.png

btw: sorry for no pics of it happening, was too shocked about it happening ;-;

Edited by OlavDeng2

i had an incident when i was in a Cerberus trying to capsize some small ship. i hit it and rode up on its back, but instead of sinking it, i fell off the back and capsized myself.