Game-Labs Forum

Capt.Roan Alexander

The huge advantage to the Aubrey/Maturin series is the usage of correct terms, as well as O'Brien's penchant for pulling his battles out of real world logs of them.  Yes, the personal life stuff can get a little annoying if you're just hankering for pure sail on sail action, but at the same time, those personal stories, too, give you a very interesting slice of life from the period which can be extremely interesting.

I've read most of them, and I think I'll read them again shortly.   :)

He stole all his ideas from me.

• 3 weeks later...

I wondering if anyone knows of any good naval historical fiction from earlier times like the 17th century?  Seem most of the books are around the Napoleonic wars and the British Navy.  You think there would be some books about the Dutch exploits or the Spanish Armada with Sir Francis Drake?

• 5 weeks later...

I would love to see the Patrick O'Brian series have some influence on the game...many of us computer sailors love this series!

If it wasn't for his series I wouldn't be here in this forum. Thank goodness Google was around when I first read them or I would not have had a clue what was going on.

Diomedes, there is stuff about guys like Tromp and de Ruyter out there. the only problem is, its in Dutch and it will probably never be translated. As far as other 17th century stuff is concerned, you can Always try and find a copy of Captain Blood, the novel from the same Errol Flynn movie. 

Also, I've come across a book called sailing warship of the US Navy by someone called Donald Canney. It has some very interesting details on not only the Constitution and the fellow ships of its class, but it also looks at all the other sailing ships the us navy used up until the Civil war.

• 4 weeks later...

The first book mentioned by the OP ("Seamanship in the Age of Sail" - Harland) is extraordinary, and is chock full of wonderful information. It isn't fiction, but fact. An excellent source of knowledge, and invaluable.

I have a smaller book which was recommended by the management of the replica ship "Bounty". I had the great honour of crewing her across the Tasman Sea, and it was recommended that I take a look at "Eagle Seamanship: A Manual for Square-rigger sailing" by Lt Edwin Daniels before boarding. A great book explaining how to sail a square-rigger, the terminology and nomenclature and procedures etc etc.

I'm sure that O'Brien et al are wonderful reading, but I find I have little time for reading fiction, and I can't remember the last fiction book I read. Just reference books and historical documents. Boring and dry, I know, but I'm usually way too busy for reading fiction (it takes away from my sailing Naval Action time).

post-6995-0-47341000-1420993568.gif

Commander by Stephen Taylor

Just finished this recently, it was great.

Also would recommend:

Osprey's British Napoleonic Ships of the Line (New Vanguard)

Illustrated Companion to Nelson's Navy

Sea of Words (a necessary companion to O'Brien, but good on its own too)

Nelson's Trafalgar: The Battle That Changed the World

The most complete inventory of Age of Sail books I know of is here:

http://www.historicnavalfiction.com/

Astrodene has a timeline index, author index, interviews, etc.   He also keeps us up-to-date with new publication dates.   One of the best sites for finding books, both old and new.

Not much in terms reviews or rankings, though, and he has felt obligated to include some fantasy takes on the genre.   But, find something interesting and follow his link to Amazon to read the reviews.

I'll have to compile a list too.  Agreed on Harland at the top of the list of "practical guides for the armchair sailor."  O'Brian and Marryat (he sailed with Cochrane!) and Pope (Ramage) and Forester (Hornblower) in fiction.   

Yours respectfully, etc.

• Like 1

Here are some non-fiction books that would, I think, be good for the general gamer who wants to dive more into this era.   None of these are as technical (or expensive) as Harland's "Seamanship."

General:

HMS Victory Owners’ Workshop Manual.   Haynes Publishing.   Ignoring some of the gift-shop photo book style, this actually includes a reasonable amount of detail for those who don’t know much about the era but want an intro suitable for Naval Action.  Includes some schematics, armament, mast and spar names, steps for tacking and wearing a square rigger.

(If you want schematic drawings of every deck, hull cross-sections, list of guns by year, and fewer photos, then John McKay’s Anatomy of the the Ship Victory (with foldout plans!) is a better book.  Don’t be fooled -- the cover makes it look like a children’s book, but I used it as my map & reference when I visited the Victory in Portsmouth.)

Battles

Sea Battles in Close-Up: The Age of Nelson   David Lyon  Summary of the history and ship movements in several key battles.

Nelson’s Trafalgar  Roy Adkins  Detailed layman’s history of the context and the battle itself.

General History:

Six Frigates Ian W. Toll (History of the first significant ships in the US Navy)

The Billy Ruffin: Biography of the English ship of the line Bellerophon David Cordingly

Respectfully yours, etc.