Game-Labs Forum

Ships inherent characteristics.

admin

Agree ship speed mods should not be open ended.

You must imho set the fastest a ship class will ever travel if it is of the best materials for speed and includes suitable mods.  This speed should be realistic, now if the owner chooses to not use a speed upgrade, or build from a different material then it is his decision and his ship will be slower than the realistic optimum.

• Like 1

l39Cl52.jpg

F*ck speed mods entirely.

This is a yacht that is faster than a brig on its best point of sail. And not just a little bit faster. It zoomed up over the horizon and caught up in a few bare minutes.

And then of course its group mates jumped into the instance from beyond visual range, armed with with carronades for the sole purpose of ganking, thanks to the 400-kilometer wide Battle Timer that hasn't gone down, even in the wacky patch.

I want to see an unfettered PvP game, because that is historical and exciting. But why is the game still breaking the laws of physics to allow failboats from high population nations and societies to hunt down lone targets? No amount of useless AI reinforcements and BR tinkering can make up for this.

• Like 5

Very nice Admin. Thank you! 

Also, just because someone will ask for it, you should add teak.

Teak - Faster ship, no effect on hull. ^^

I have a Teak built Cerberus.  Definitely seems to have a speed increase, but I've noticed she springs leaks more than the Oak wood types I've sailed.  Nothing major unless I ram somebody, but definitely not as durable as oak.

...What if we only have the latter type? Then the default ships would be the fastest, and some captains would choice to apply mods (turning, HP, etc) with speed penalties...

I support this. If we do this we need to make sure there are useful upgrades that don't adversely affect speed, else we end up with noone wanting to mod their ship. (Actually, this really only applies to competitive players, there are always more clueless players).

• Like 1

Anyone know what the upgrade and downgrade(hull and speed) in % is of Live Oak?

I'll do that when I cap the right ships. I have a grey fir frig without any other speed mods right now, need oak and live oak also without additional speed/planking mods for comparison.

• 2 weeks later...

Ship characteristics descriptions

Wood types

Fir - faster ship, weaker hull

Live oak - stronger frame (+ planking), +1 class of armor quality, less speed

Oak - stronger frame (+ planking) - no speed effect

(need feedback on more timber types if they are needed in the timber qualities topic http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/4636-timber-types-used-in-ship-construction-request/)

Characteristics

Stiffness - heel; from less reduction to more reduction

Speed - speed; from low to high

Crew space - crew size; from lower to higher

Planking - structure leaking; from more to less

Build strength - planking amount; from less to more

Rigging quality - sails up and down speed/ yard turning speed; from less to more

Explorer - open world speed; standard OW speed buff

If you think more inherent characteristics please propose in this topic.

Admin doesn't list Teak, I think it is just the "generic" wood type with no modifiers. Less planking means it will leak more than a ship with planking and/or build strength.

Ship characteristics descriptions

Wood types

Fir - faster ship, weaker hull

Live oak - stronger frame (+ planking), +1 class of armor quality, less speed

Oak - stronger frame (+ planking) - no speed effect

(need feedback on more timber types if they are needed in the timber qualities topic http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/4636-timber-types-used-in-ship-construction-request/)

Characteristics

Stiffness - heel; from less reduction to more reduction

Speed - speed; from low to high

Crew space - crew size; from lower to higher

Planking - structure leaking; from more to less

Build strength - planking amount; from less to more

Rigging quality - sails up and down speed/ yard turning speed; from less to more

Explorer - open world speed; standard OW speed buff

If you think more inherent characteristics please propose in this topic.

Cargo hold (for trade ships only?) Less to more cargo.

FYI, Speed currently does not work at all.

I feel like a lot of the inbuilt modules dont work at all. I have stiffness, and speed, both mastercraft on my trincomalee and they seem to not do anything because the heel on the trinc doesnt seem any better and as you said the speed doesn't seem to work at all.

• Like 1

I feel like a lot of the inbuilt modules dont work at all. I have stiffness, and speed, both mastercraft on my trincomalee and they seem to not do anything because the heel on the trinc doesnt seem any better and as you said the speed doesn't seem to work at all.

Perhaps you were bamboozled by your shipyard workers? Did they also tell you it had a Hemi in it? ;)

• Like 1