Game-Labs Forum

Prices of Ship Building

Ink

Following this book there are some examples of prices of ship building in various times during the XVIII century [p. 285-286], e.g.:

From the year 1702 to 1713, the price, per ton, for building a 90 gun-ship, was 16l.; and 80, 12l.; a 70, 10l. 15s.; a 64, 9l. 10s.; a 60, 10l. 6s.; a 50, 9l. 3s.; a 42, 7l. 15s.; a 40, 8l. 7s. 6d; a 32, 8l.; a 26, 6l. 5s.; a 24, 7l. 10s.; and sloops, 5l. 12s. 6d.

My question is does that mean a ton of displacement or a ton of tons burthen? Does anyone know exactly? I guess it's displacement but not sure.

Also, don't hesitate to put any other sources about the subject if you know any

Thanks. I can't find the source, but I noted that building a Ship of the Line required 3500 oak trees. In the 17th and 18th century, the French Navy used 1.5 million oaks. Under Louis XIV, 2 million trees were dedicated to the ships, and 1 to 2 more to the shipyards.

Jean Boudriot has, in his book «Le Navire Marchand, Ancien Régime: Étude historique et Monographie» ("The Merchant Ship, Ancient Regime: Historic Study and Monograph"), a section on the cost of a merchant ship. I will check what it says and edit this post once I no longer have a cat occupying my lap :)

EDIT: I'm not going to reproduce all of Boudriot's calculations here, and he prefaces everything as being a very crude estimate... but for a merchant ship built on the Atlantic coast circa 1770, he estimates a total cost per ton of capacity at about 250 livres. This includes cost of labour (which would be about 960 man-hours per ton if I'm reading him correctly).

Next I'll see if I can find some information that gives meaning to the figure of 250 livres...

2nd EDIT: Well so far my searches aren't yielding much fruit, though according to this site 250 livres would have been about £18 15s in 1709, but obviously exchange rates would have differed wildly throughout the period.

That said, if I'm reading this text correctly (it's a poor scan and the relevant information is in a footnote on p. 203 and phrased ambiguously), in 1770 one tonneau of Toulouse wine was worth 500 livres. That seems... remarkably high.  :blink:

• Like 1

So far I've found following:

First reference: ""The St. Lawrence constructed at Kingston in 1814 at the fantastic cost to the British taxpayers of $500,000 would translate in today's money as twenty million dollars." (Since there is no info about article's year I skip the current values) and also from there "In 1789 a 38-gun frigate cost 20,830 British pounds and a 74-gun ship of the line cost 43,820 pounds."

secone one:"In commercial terms, the cost of a 74-gun ship-of-the-line in 1793 was placed at just under £50000 (£25 million or $40 million in today's terms)." The book is from 2001 year (in relation with current value). There is also a table about tonnage of certain types of SoL's which can be used with the infomration in the book I linked in the first post.

Also I've also found a very usefull tool which can be used to research value comparison over time and also the difference between $ and £ over time.

And, finally, this one with a quite strange url name tho:) So, according to this source 250 livres were about $50 in the late of 18th century

• Like 1

Spasibo, Ink! If that last link is reliable in the slightest, that makes the cost of a barrel of wine seem much more reasonable.

I'm also reminded that the book on the "anatomy" of HMS Blanchard (1719, I think) provides costs associated for the construction of that vessel. I can't go rummaging about for it at present but may be able to do so in the next couple days.