Game-Labs Forum

Is the high ground really an advantage?

ptrella

I'm relatively new to this game, and really enjoy playing it a lot (best game I've played in a long time), but one frustrating aspect of the game is when my troops and artillery are regularly decimated while sitting atop the high ground.  I like playing Union, and seems that whenever I have troops, and artillery massed atop Culp's Hill or Little/Big round top the rebels just surround the bottom of the hill and decimate my army!  It's not a LOS issue as I'm constantly checking.  Any advice or players with similar experiences?  I've actually thought to just give up the high ground and shoot from below as it seems to be more effective!  

• Like 1

It is but LRT can be exposed as your brigades might have flanks open for attacks and the heavy fire coming from BRT can lead to a lot of deaths on it.

High ground will be even more important in the next patch.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

i am having the same trouble as OP.  in the 1st battle, if i push mcpherson's ridge and take it, i will place infantry just a bit over the ridge and try to place arty in a "hull down" position on the backside of the ridge, thinking the arty is going to fire over the infanty's heads, yet my infantry just gets brutalized and breaks, even with a p hill sitting just behind the arty.  so much for taking the high ground!