Game-Labs Forum

Ship damage realism?

I'm not sure if this has been listed, but perhaps the ship could be properly damaged from the cannon fire from an enemy? To the point where you can see inside the other ship and watch the destruction of your own ship happen.

Examples: a cannon ball hits the guardrail on ship. A segment of the guardrail gets blown off. 

a cannon ball hits the hull in a specific spot, there is now a hole in that spot where you can see the inside of that ship.

I hope you understand what I'm getting at. Personally I think physics for the ship being damaged is a instant buy from me. If you incorporated that and wood flying all over the place from the cannons, I'd buy this game in a heartbeat. Does anyone else like this idea?

Railings getting shot off?  That would be cool.  And being able to see through the little holes, that would be cool as well, otherwise, if you are talking about the fake Total War type ship destruction, look at this post and watch the videos I posted.  However, I doubt this is a priority as there are much more important things to finish like Port Battles, crafting, etc, etc.

Read this post:

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/4541-visual-damage/?hl=damage

• Like 2

Damage to rails and other features on the weather deck would be cool to see (remember the bell exploding at the beginning of Master and Commander?).

However, you should realize what you are asking for with the actual holes on the hull:

A huge development delay to reboot the engine tech, netcode, damage model and existing assets; five times fewer ships in the game; much higher hardware requirements; smaller online battles.. and all for a little hole that you can barely even see through.

And if you half-ass it, you just get cartoon goofiness like Total War.

• Like 2

This is exactly what the game needs. They should also show destroyed cannons in pieces and only repair cannons using a cannon repair kitt which I think should be added.

A hull repair is not a cannon repair.

Even a hull repair isn't a hull repair. It's abstracted.

Re-mounting a cannon would often require work on the hull, if the breechings were damaged.

I'm a graphics whore. So yes, i'm all for more realistic visual damage. That said, the current "mark" that a hit from a cannonball leaves looks quite alright to me; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXVQAnPjshw

Damage to rails and other features on the weather deck would be cool to see (remember the bell exploding at the beginning of Master and Commander?).

However, you should realize what you are asking for with the actual holes on the hull:

A huge development delay to reboot the engine tech, netcode, damage model and existing assets; five times fewer ships in the game; much higher hardware requirements; smaller online battles.. and all for a little hole that you can barely even see through.

And if you half-ass it, you just get cartoon goofiness like Total War.

This is exactly what the game needs. They should also show destroyed cannons in pieces and only repair cannons using a cannon repair kitt which I think should be added.

A hull repair is not a cannon repair.

Railings getting shot off?  That would be cool.  And being able to see through the little holes, that would be cool as well, otherwise, if you are talking about the fake Total War type ship destruction, look at this post and watch the videos I posted.  However, I doubt this is a priority as there are much more important things to finish like Port Battles, crafting, etc, etc.

Read this post:

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/4541-visual-damage/?hl=damage

Thanks! I actually had no idea that the cannons damage was so minimal compared total war. I thought total war was accurate but I guess I was wrong! Thanks for the video! And if you've ever seen Pirates of the Caribbean, I meant about as much like that. In my opinion I think that'd be cool. What do you lot think?

That's pretty much what the damage effects in the game look like to me, with the huge billows of dusts and splinters (they're severely exaggerated for visibility purposes, of course). It's just that getting hit by several thousand magical napalm cannonballs in the span of thirty seconds is rather unlikely to happen in the game.