Game-Labs Forum

TDA Map: Route Planner [NEW], WebApp, & In-Game Version available

Prater

So we start modding scene in NA?;-)

I've been modding Naval Action for months in youtube videos and screenshots I've posted around :D  My secret how I do it though.  I might upload the files so others can download but I won't be giving out how I do it except to certain people.

I've been modding Naval Action for months in youtube videos and screenshots I've posted around :D  My secret how I do it though.  I might upload the files so others can download but I won't be giving out how I do it except to certain people.

I'd love the detailed compass you showed a while back.

I'd love the detailed compass you showed a while back.

Which one? The one on my map or the Naval Action compass shown over a 360 degree 32 point compass? The one on my map is going away and is going to be replaced. It wasn't my compass but a photoshop brush I downloaded and was only a placeholder until I could replace it.  I found a new compass I like on an old map and will be replacing it.

As far as I know, the in game compass cannot be modded. I tried and my changes never showed up.

As far as I know, the in game compass cannot be modded. I tried and my changes never showed up.

You break my heart! ;)

No biggie, truly. But the compass image (not map related) you posted would make speed profiles a tad more convenient to make.

• 4 weeks later...

I am slowly finishing the map.

The last couple of days I have been experimenting with being able to draw, type on, or place markers on the map and use measuring and navigation tools.  It is still rough and very basic at the moment.  My hope is to replicate ideas in these two threads.  Unless I or Obi can come up with a way for the user to save the data, it will all be wiped clean on page refresh.

ris6zAa.png

Support for Firefox and Chrome included.  It also seems to perform and load faster.

No promises yet on this, I am still experimenting. 

Also, I probably won't do the highly detailed port maps unless I can get significant help.

What kind of help would that be? I'd help if able.

It would be a zoomed in version of the port that shows shallows and channels and how you need to approach the port.  It is way too much work to do for all 350 ports.  Maybe I will do it for capitals and major ports, I haven't decided yet.

Something like this:

gDiWqpZ.png

With the hidden shallows in front of St. Nicholas (or any other port) mapped out. 

But this is a ton of work and I haven't finished my other projects.

Wondeful work i might add, however i could do without any bias towards any nation/country though! ;)

And what Bias would that be?

• Like 3

Here is what I played with tonight:

I've added a bunch of plugins to Leaflet to allow me to 1. Draw text on the map, and place journey routes that are measured in KM and give the bearing.

Remember, if you keep track of your bearing and your average knots over the course of so many minutes, you will be able to figure out where you are roughly. The knots value given in game is equivalent to KM PER MINUTE on my map.

1nEBsN5.png

So if I leave St. Nicholas heading 270 degrees (due West) at 5 knots for 10 minutes, I will travel 50km on my map. If I then turn North to 0 degrees at 15 knots for 15 minutes, I travel 225 km. If I then change course to 315 degrees going 8 knots for 5 minutes, I go 40 more km, if I then change to 15 degrees and travel at 20 knots for 1 minute, I go 20 km, and then if I turn to 330 degrees and go 10 knots for 1 minute I end up at Salina Point.

9XLUK32.png

Explanation:

aalwm4g.png

NZQqf55.png

QgjMHvc.png

I don't know if I like it. It is rough, but it might be useful.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The bailiff found me at the bottom of a tavern, and he recalled me to my duty.   (I had to pay him, the rogue.)

He released the bond he had placed on the map, and I trust all is well-appointed for your navigation again, gentlemen.   Though sadly out of date, I am shamed to say.

Edited by M.Cmdt. ObiQuiet
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, I do have the coords, actually, that is one of the reasons why I made the map.  Basically we had no in game map back then, and we had to go to each landmass and go around the island hitting f11 to make them.  This made the outline for the island on our maps that we could then color in.  It was a very tedious process.

But I have it turned off because of threats to remove the coordinate system (which would make maps like ours impossible to make).  Right now, the gray squares on my map are the coordinate system, every 100k if I remember right.  Siegfried has his every 10k.  The 0,0 is just below Jamaica.

Each version at tdamap.com has a compass (remember, chrome only).  If you want drawing (that is wiped clean and erased after each refresh), there is an experimental version here, but it doesn't contain a compass (but allows you to place down lines that have bearing and distance on them):

http://namap.neocities.org/newmap.html

I personally recommend the Port Map at tdamap.com.  It now includes compass lines that you can easily place down, as well as a simulated latitude and longitude reading if you type in your coordinates.  You will get a box around the area you are in.

• 2 weeks later...

Which coloring is better?  I think I have made up my mind on style 2 or 3 but what do other people think?

Style 1 (original/current) (paper created by me - instead fix the bad coloration on land)

qI4uYTRm.jpg

Style 2 (historical paper is taken from West Indies Atlas, 1775, Thomas Jefferies)

N86Jehkm.jpg

Style 3 (paper created by me)

FvRRMBdm.jpg

Style 4 (paper created by me)

g6iCVPom.jpg