Game-Labs Forum

Open World speed

Would it be possible to augment the speed of ships (across the board) on the open world?

I'm all for immersion, but watching your ship take 1h30 to go across 50-60% of the map is not fun, especially with very empty seas. The ships are beautiful, the graphics are gorgeous but one can only sail for so long before just going alt+tab and checking it every 15 minutes. 

Could we perhaps boost the speed by 50%? It'd still take a massive time to go from one point to another.

I knew it would be a problem. The only way to eliminate this is to create a teleport system similar to (tepelort to Capital). Here is my sugestion:

Teleport times:

to Different ports 

1st - Free (Sets a timer for 30 mins)

2nd - 1% fee of what you have in your wallet (Timer 30 mins)

3rd - 1% fee of what you have in your wallet (Timer 30 mins)

5th - 2% fee of what you have in your wallet (Timer 30 mins)

etc... +1% fee increase every 5 times you teleport to a new port

If player teleports back and forth to the same port multiple times, fee will jump in +3% increments, and reset timer will incerase +5 mins when teleporting to same ports.

ex.

to Same ports 

1st teleport from Port 22 to Port 55 - Free. 

2nd teleport from Port 55 to Port 22 - +3% fee. (Timer 30 mins)

3rd teleport from Port 22 to Port 55 - +6% fee. (Timer 35 mins)

4th teleport from Port 55 to Port 22 - +12% fee. (Timer 40 mins)

When player enters National or Neutral ports, he must enable/check mark (add this port to quick travel list and pay a small fee).

Devs opinion would be nice.

I don't see this as a problem.  There is plenty to do locally and long journeys are meaningfully long.  Of course teleporting already has and will continue to undermine this.  I used to see people traveling out on the open sea and away from hot spots.  Not any more.  We just teleport around trying to ambush eachother, hoping that we can catch someone before they teleport to the other side of the map.

If the map needs teleports, then it should not be as big as it is, because teleporting undermines all the good that can come from a big world.  Rather than adding teleporting to make your big world small, Just make the world the size it needs to be to not have teleporting.

• Like 1

I hate the current teleport feature with a passion and think it shouldn't have a place in a game like NA.

It doesn't make sense to me to have this big, beautiful world and then artificially reduce the distances to absolute meaninglessness due to having a magical transport ability.

And I really, really hope it will be removed from the final version of the game.

• Like 3

The thing to do is to implement instance sailing to the OW. Need to turn and position yards, fiddle with jibs, trim the sails and such. That would reduce your feeling of boredom during longer voyages.

In regards to the teleport, I agree that it doesn't really fit into the world, but is quite useful. What use it mostly for is to teleport to some larger weekly event. During the week I sail wherever and I am willing to explore further from my bases, because I know that I will be able to make to the Trafalgar or Frigate fight or something else...

• Like 1

The teleport system, according to the devs, is currently in place to allow the limited amount of players to move around the world faster. therefore being capable of testing and looking for bugs etc. better.

The teleport feature has no place in the final release version of the game.

With that being said:

The topic of OW speed has been addressed so many times now. The general consensus of the people playing and developing the game is that the current speed is about right. Increasing your speed would simply make the world too small when more people join in.

Edited by SteelSandwich

The teleport system, according to the devs, is currently in place to allow the limited amount of players to move around the world faster. therefore being capable of testing and looking for bugs etc. better.

The teleport feature has no place in the final release version of the game.

With that being said:

The topic of OW speed has been addressed so many times now. The general consensus of the people playing and developing the game is that the current speed is about right. Increasing your speed would simply make the world too small when more people join in.

I agree with this, the size is jut right right now i would say

I think its fine as it is. Any faster and you will have seen the whole world in a few hours.

Have you read the opposite opinions? Lota of people want real time slo mo saailing in the open world!!

if you just want a quick battle i have a feeling the quick battle matches will eventually cone back.