Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
pugtm

Undermanned ships

I got into a fight with a flag captain sailing a Santissima. i thought hey, good experience. He'll barely be able to sail or fire after the first volley. No, he sailed quite well, and his reloads with his super large guns were barely slower than mine. This seems a little off...

I'm a flag Captain that sails a Santi from time to time. Reload on my main deck is nearly 2 minutes, it turns like an absolute pig.

The reload time penalty isn't linear with respect to crew percentage - which means going for the biggest vessel with most guns still yields a dps increase over a fully crewed smaller ship. I suppose the idea is to not be entirely ****ed in a big ship after somebody manges to grape rake you.

it turn like shit he not even have 50%  of crew

santi is usable only vs npc if you have that low rank,    on pvp is inusable, unless you lucky and the spawn allow you to shoot the enemy in  line movement = flank vs flank

Or your enemy have a much lower class ship that not outmanouver you

Santi is basically a giant floating red brick with sails. I personally think the victory is better because of the faster turning rates. The extra guns and crew is nice but it takes 3 hours to do a full turn.

• Like 1

which brings the question

should we increase turn rates for lineships a bit? As they were in the Sea Trials?

They were decreased? I never noticed but then again I took a break from NA till i was invited into OW.. I prob what it was like to sail a Victory in sea trails...  

I sail a bellona as a post captain and a vic as flag captain its inefficient but the firepower and xp reward from damage makes the grind worth it, besides if you can afford to buy them you can probably afford to lose them.

Plus with the boarding and surgeon route money really is no object atm.

Edit: Read admin's post wrong somehow as saying SoL handling had been improved since Sea Trials...

I did not enjoy the 3 deckers in Sea Trials. Heavily overgunned as they were the firepower was not worth having to sail a massive brick. Stuck to Bellona and the frigates because of that even after unlocking Vic/Santisima.

And even the Bellona has been less fun since turn rate was reduced, now I'm sailing only frigates and almost ignoring SoL. This despite the (more realistic) damage model now meaning frigates stand next to no chance of beating a SoL.

IMO SoL should be regulated by other factors than just being unwieldy (cost of upkeep, fewer harbors being able to accommodate their draught, less endurance at sea because they carry more crew in proportion to size than a frigate?), there is no particular reason to have this huge handling gap between SoL and frigates.

should we increase turn rates for lineships a bit? As they were in the Sea Trials?

Only if frigates are beating lineships 1v1.

Santi is basically a giant floating red brick with sails. I personally think the victory is better because of the faster turning rates. The extra guns and crew is nice but it takes 3 hours to do a full turn.

No, Ronan doesn't know what he is talking about. Maybe ask Tommy Shelby about worthless brick? ;)

Frigates should be able to defeat single top rated ships, it was called stern camping and having the ability to move in and out of range easily.

You never sailed big rates around solo.  That is a deathwish.  In POTBS would would take them down with small ships.  The small ships were very hard to hit so we could sail right in demast and board.  Now boarding was much different as if you lost you didn't lose your ships as the attacker, that is until the broadside came..............RIP.

1st and 2nd rate line battles are pretty amazing.

French frigate Sérieuse in battle of the Nile is best example how frigate would end fighting ship of the line.

POTBS is not worth mentioning in any way according to NA.

Edited by Jim

definitely yes. it is atrociously slow, even on a bellona.

Edited by frank

And why shouldn't that be possible? It wasn't uncommon in real life.

What?

It never, ever happened in real life.

And why shouldn't that be possible? It wasn't uncommon in real life.

Name me one time within the period of the ships we have (about 1750-onwards)  :P

I think I dislike the turning of the Constitution more than I do the turning of the SOL's currently.

I think I dislike the turning of the Constitution more than I do the turning of the SOL's currently.

I can't remember exactly what the Bellona/Constitution stats are ingame (think Constitution has the advantage now), but the Bellona should be at least as agile considering it's a few feet shorter and slightly lighter. 

Then again there shouldn't be this big gap in maneuverability between SoL and frigates.

I can't remember exactly what the Bellona/Constitution stats are ingame (think Constitution has the advantage now), but the Bellona should be at least as agile considering it's a few feet shorter and slightly lighter. 

Then again there shouldn't be this big gap in maneuverability between SoL and frigates.

I concur, the bellona should be way more agile than it is currently.