Game-Labs Forum
ragnar hairy trousers

naval action has lost its way

Gentlemen one of the main reasons i was draw to this game was the polite and gentlemanly behavior of everyone in sea trials.However since open world has been launched this nice behaviour has almost gone....

Everyone gets ganked i have been on a number of occasions and its part and parcel of a game such as this. If you dont wish to fight in pvp or get ganked then kindly go play hello kitty online (ganking is the nature of a game such as this).

anyway my point is all players prefer to fight when the odds are in their favour (ganking) but then so do real comanders in real fights. Its going to happen to you and ive no doubt you have done it to other people so dont start shouting out about ganking or hurling abuse at other players when it does happen...... suck it up and get back in the fight... the odds will be in your favor too at some point.

i will not point out instances of rude or ungentlemen like behaviour here but i will give an example of how we should behave.

yesterday myself and several other british players caught an american bellona outside plymouth.

the american captain a mr tacticus did not hurl abuse at being caught.... he turned about and gave us a damb good fight inspite of having less than four hundred crew.... 

I must commend mr tacticus  on his bravery and gallant behaviour o7 sir

regards 

ragnar hairy trousers

• Like 2

I agree. 

Im not one to complain about our mass of enemies , being a Brit. Its all good fun.  ;)

But this whole " you reap what you sow "- crap is just utterly stupid. So Fighting in the open world is all good, but raging in forums and flaming on chat is rather childish.

This war didnt start on the same grounds as ,- say the Swede vs all- fight did. The Swedes actively killed the entire map in swarms. The SLRN did not. 

Here is a history lesson for you: 

http://forum.game-la...tion-headlines/

Yes, thats right. The SLRN does not "need to be put in its place". Nor do they "need to reep what they this-and-that". 

People need to take a chill-pill.Some serious inconsistent statements are being thrown around. 

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/5977-petition-to-rename-this-game-to-all-vs-british/page-4

Around English Harbour you have no less than 4 national capitols. You dont see the french or Swedish amassing to do PVP to " save their own newbies" or whatever, but its somehow expected of SLRN to cater to all our enemies all the time... 

No matter, we do at times come up for a good fight, but the statement that "SLRN flee across the map" falls on its own sillyness. We are one of the nations that come fight on a regular basis. 

However, when we do show up, people quickly shift their moaning- tactic, and now all of a sudden we are "evil gankers". The SLRN offers the same types of tactics to our enemies that the TDA does. Or the american alts in the Dutch, their allies in Denmark, or Pirates. You attack when you think you can win. Hence, the slow periods when our enemies and whatever number of allies they can muster up sits in port waiting to spring their trap. We know its a trap, mate. We are not going to spring it, are we. Not very likely. Just like you lot, we prefer to fight on our terms. We are not going to feed the trolls just because theire hungry. 

That must anger some people. Apparently, given the flaming on Global chat in game  :)

So again... This is a game. Pixels. Have fun with it, but please.... The flaming and raging needs to be adressed. The only thing that comes of it, is usually a good laugh at the recieving end. 

• Like 1

i agree mr jaeger!! this just adds wait to my argument. the war between the tda and slrn started as a freindly way of creating some pvp but seems to have become some sort of personal quest to some for insults or injuries that are more imagined than real.... and there seems to be a very real attempt on the part of some to start a propaganda war and make the slrn the enemies of all which we are not!!!!!!!

this war is also an ingame thing between two clans (or more since allies seem to play a huge part in this friendly war???!!!! really???) and does not belong in tribunials... 

yes ur going to loose some times.... grow up and take it like a man.

i play the game to have fun not take abuse from people who want to throw their toys out of the pram when the get sunk.

lets have fun not insult each other and make things up 

please gentlemen curb your tempers.

Listen up all those who think this person is speaking true. People commit ganking because it is a lot harder in open world and gold is few.

Everybody wants to get into their santisima and that is their ultimate goals. When admin adds new things like crafting or alliances into the game these problems will become fewer.

You also seem to be forgetting that this game is in alpha so we can expect things like ganking to survive. People do it because there are few players and too,powerful Ai.

All these problems WILL be sorted out in time.

You ALL agreed to bugs and few PvP chances in open world.

And for all we know we may go back to sea trial battles when the developers seriously tweak,open world near release. Hell, there may even be an option to go to sea trial type battles if we don't want to play open world. I repeat it could be an option.

Yes open world is not as good as sea trials because it hasn't been public for long. If you want to see great quality wait for the game to be released and most bugs are ironed out.

And for those who view this subject know that I and I'm sure the developers are sick of saying that this is alpha and teething troubles are to be expected.

For all those complainers, whingers and whiners I say LEAVE OFF! The developers are doing their best and that is all we ask.

This game is shaping up to be something great and the devs cannot afford to get sidetracked by people who complain because they didn't read what they signed up for.

I'm not aiming for this post to be offensive or abusive etc. I am just making a statement that people will have heard 20 times over.

Oh... And we'll done Jaeger for saying what we are all thinking.

Edited by Captain Comery

What I'm saying is that people basically agreed to ganking when they signed up and it's no use in complaining about it.

im agreeing with you..... i have not complained about ganking im complaining about moaning and whining and the hurling of abuse.... ganking is part of the game and a good part at that, it makes the game more fun

I never specifically go out with the idea to gank but I am looking for targets of opportunity and if my friend and I catch a lone pirate Renomee sailing thru our waters then we will attack it period. If you want to survive then don't sail along the shoreline anymore than you have to or always sail the most advantageous line with respect to the wind. What I mean by this is sail upwind of where you think the hunters will be.

I think it funny when we tag someone and they run because they don't like the odds. There is a common evolution of attitude that happens in almost all the fights.

First:  I try to be nice and start up a conversation so that the loss for them will go down easier. They start by being friendly back, making jokes, and all is well.

Second: When they realize that we may catch them they Beg. That is the second stage: Begging

Third: When they realize that they will have to spend their repairs on sails their attitudes change and they start accusing us of ganking. They are not insultive at this point but they start calling us out on the unfair fight

Fourth: when they realize that they can't shame us into letting them go, they start insulting. The latest was being called a "fat american."

Fifth: They die.

So it goes: Friendly, Begging, Accusing, Insulting, Die

Almost everytime. I have had a few that have had a good attitude through it all. Those guys I actually consider letting go after I batter them.

• Like 2

It seems some starting capital locations are basically throwing new players into shark pits.

Join USA, no one ever comes that far up the coast. And there are no pirate bases north of Bahamas (except Bermuda and no one feels like sailing for 20 hours to get there). You can raid Spanish traders out of Florida and attack contraband traders to your heart's content without ever even worrying about seeing other human players. If that's what you want. Not to mention the billion or so AI constitution frigate fleets (MURICA!!!) patrolling the coast that you can run to if you get chased.

Give us your poor, your tired, your huddled masses . . . of midshipmen.

Edited by ajffighter86

You may join the Danes, few people come down that way. Or the Spanish... Both "safer havens", but then again...that is not what this topic is about. 

Its about ingame rage that somehow spill all over the place ( someone find that rageface  to stick up here  :P   ) A picture is wort a thousand words

right now all are at war and all are just fish in a sea waiting to get eaten by bigger or meaner fish. Either team up or get some speed upgrades and learn to run.

• Like 1

Fine words Ragnar, I lost 3 bells to the Slrn yesterday however I had my most fun day playing naval action so far even though I was the victim of the British superior ganking on the day.

The wind gods were indeed in your favour as were the strategys you employed. I also strangely enjoyed the 7 to 1 odds battle where you guys expected me to run and whinge,I could never hope to win that battle but I think I won respect.

I like to think the TDA does its talking in battle not in chat at least that's what I see, oh and I'm English.

it was a pleasure fighting you guys and I know we will clash again soon.

Honour and glory.

Tac

• Like 1

Guest raat

Listen, people are sour of the Brits.  Why?  Because of ganking.   You want to defend it, fine.  But here's the raw:  the Brits don't fight any other way.

Here's the current Brit strategy: 

1) Farm WAY out of the way of normal PvP (sitting in Venezuela and Yucatan) where they feel there will be no PvP

2) get 15-20 people online on a Saturday or something

3) Teleport to English Harbour

4) Gank everyone in sight in 15-20 (half or more in SOLs) vs. 5 (at best).

5) When 15 enemies show up to fight the Brit 15-20 ships, Brits log out in EH.  Then teleport back to the Yucatan or whatever.

You can't see how that makes people sour?  You don't fight.  You just gank.  Then taunt in global chat like you've won some major victory or something.  Anyone can win a 15 v. 5 fight.  That doesn't make it a worthy win or something to be proud of.

Also, Brits never show up to Weekend Trafalgars where the WHOLE community has gentlemanly fights and a good time every weekend.   You ask any other clan in this game how they feel about TDA/US or the Dutch or the Danes or the French or even the Pirates.   We're all on good terms and respect one another as gentlemen.

I've even heard that SLRN command is given specific orders to avoid Weekend Trafalgars and avoid OW PvP and not participate in the "Captain's pledge of PvP participation".

So again, orders seem to be:

1) ignore the rest of the community and don't PvP.

2) get organized and gank.

3) go back to ignoring the PvP community.

That's the perception.  You want to change it?  That's up to you, Brits.  Start fighting even battles.  Start showing up to Weekend Trafalgars (besides Snoopy and Ronan - hats off to you two).  And stop running to the edges of the map when you're not en masse.

• Like 5

think Tdr and Royal navy need to set up a clan fight Trafalgar soon. Id like to see that!

• Like 2

ratha its your unpleasant behaviour that prompted this post... many slrn players dont actually want pvp and joined the slrn to gain protection from the tda... everyone ganks including you raatha so less of the double standards mate...

the tda has posted itself outside the british home port for months hitting anyone who dares to sail out... you gank us but if we hit back we are the bad guys

we do not behave like mr doran and u will do good to remember that sir.

we are not bad people. we are players like you (if not a little more mature).

you have taken what was a friendly way of getting pvp and turned it into an unpleasant whining fest!!!!!

please for gods sake gentlemen of the tda chill out and stop the whole over the top hate thing you are throwing at us. you have ruined this game for me.....  the friendly atmosphre of sea trials has been ruined, i like pvp and have been ganked repeatedly by the tda in a single day( my fault and i dont mind). but the rediculous name calling and trying to demonize the slrn.

we dont take part in the trafalgars because you have turned the whole comunity on us and we dont trust you.... i personally have been double crossed by the tda.....

its not the tactics its the insults and lies... so what if some people dont wat to take part in traf or ur war

for the love of got give it a rest... 

Edited by ragnar hairy trousers

Guest raat

ratha its your unpleasant behaviour that prompted this post... many slrn players dont actually want pvp and joined the slrn to gain protection from the tda... everyone ganks including you raatha so less of the double standards mate...

the tda has posted itself outside the british home port for months hitting anyone who dares to sail out... you gank us but if we hit back we are the bad guys

we do not behave like mr doran and u will do good to remember that sir.

we are not bad people. we are players like you (if not a little more mature).

you have taken what was a friendly way of getting pvp and turned it into an unpleasant whining fest!!!!!

please for gods sake gentlemen of the tda chill out and stop the whole over the top hate thing you are throwing at us. you have ruined this game for me.....  the friendly atmosphre of sea trials has been ruined, i like pvp and have been ganked repeatedly by the tda in a single day( my fault and i dont mind). but the rediculous name calling and trying to demonize the slrn.

we dont take part in the trafalgars because you have turned the whole comunity on us and we dont trust you.... i personally have been double crossed by the tda.....

for the love of got give it a rest... 

This is clearly some rant against TDA.  Can some moderator move this post to Tavern or something?

TDA and myself don't gank outside of English Harbour.  We never did, that was all propaganda coming from your own clan.  We've completely moved out of that area and have been for a few weeks now.  We simply show up for Trafalgars on the weekend there.

I'm just speaking the truth, Ragnar.   You wonder why people don't like the Brits right now?  I gave you the answer.  Either accept it or change your ways.  If you don't want PvP, then don't PvP (that includes ganking).  Stay on the edges of the map.

And you think I've turned the whole community against the Brits?  Me personally?  I wish I had that power.  That would be amazing.  I would definitely use that power for something other than influencing the Naval Action community.  ;)

Dont be so shure youve got some moral ground here. Our enemies gank on a regular basis like its no tomorrow. Those numbers might just as well be on your side of that example. Weve had lone players loosing 3 duras on just a couple of hours vs everything and anything our enemies can dish out. 

We fight whenever or wherever we want to. Not because Raatha says so. And we will farm wherever we  please. Probably not outside an area where all our enemies are gathering up to get us, because then whats the point of farming ? 

You dont get to dictate what other people do with their game. And flaming in global chat isnt productive. Its the opposite.  

Edited by H.R.Jaeger

Met some TDA guys the other day. They were gentlemen.

I wonder if the SLNR's leadership want more and stricter ROE rules? This stuff will fasttrack said mechanics way better than forum politics.

• Like 2

think Tdr and Royal navy need to set up a clan fight Trafalgar soon. Id like to see that!

:) We allready have, of sorts. Just the other day. Was insanely fun, but sadly , and for some odd reason, again ended in some hissyfit on global.

Edited by H.R.Jaeger

if you are in the slrn then you get ganked i get it and yes raatha you do this!!! and i dont care about being ganked what i mind is ur double standars raatha

you are at plymouth just outside english h but as has been posted by one tda member if the slrn do it its wrong..... stop it for gods sake stop with the double standards

Guest raat

Dont be so shure youve got some moral ground here. Our enemies gank on a regular basis like its no tomorrow. Those numbers might just as well be on your side of that example. Weve had lone players loosing 3 duras on just a couple of hours vs everything and anything our enemies can dish out. 

We fight whenever or wherever we want to. Not because Raatha says so. And we will farm wherever we  please. Probably not outside an area where all our enemies are gathering up to get us, because then whats the point of farming ? 

You dont get to dictate what other people do with their game. And flaming in global chat isnt productive. Its the opposite.  

I didn't say I did dictate what other people do in game.  Do whatever you want.  I don't care.

I'm just saying, you complain about people's perception of the Brits.  I'm telling you why people perceive Brits the way they do right now.

As for the flaming in chat, I don't know what you're talking about.   If you're referring to yesterday when I complained about losing my Vic to a bug (of which I've posted about in the support thread), and then SLRN calling me a sore loser and a whiner in chat, then I hardly see how I was the bad guy in that chat.  I don't want flame wars in chat either.  But I guess I have to remind you that in order for there to be a flame war, there has to be two sides to it.  Just get over it.  I have.

no raatha im talking about the delibarate demonizing  of the slrn... we are here to have fun just like you... just play the damb game and stop ur propaganda war on the forums. if we dont wanna play with you in traf then thats up to us... does not make us bad guys.

we cant sail and enjoy the game because you are turning the community against us... i refer to your earlier post... its nasty and you know it

so stop it and get back to playing nice

raatha i am an old and ill man i dont want this stupid war of words and i dont want the whole naval action comunity against me because i joined the slrn... i want to enjoy the game like everyone else... 

Its this guy we want to get rid of, not your perceptions. Percieve what you want. 

The rage is not logical, and need to be adressed.