Game-Labs Forum

[WIP] San Fernando 62 guns 4th rate 3D model (completed 10/09/2015)

well, I have been looking for some information and the answer are not, the spanish ships dont have all the gunports, here some examples.

112 guns SANTA ANA woodmodel of the Naval museum of Madrid:

Image11.jpg

and the 74 guns MONTAÑES:

vwpvk3.jpg

So not I think that only the first deck

Edited by RAE_Cmdt.Cavero
  • Like 1

Allright I'll change it then, keep the last 4 gunports like the bellona? or just remove the entire deck

if I find information you can add it after? if is the case of course..

I asked you because, some naval construcion systems add more gunports than others, and I don´t know if the Gaztañeta system add it all or just the necessary

Edited by RAE_Cmdt.Cavero

In France, it added in large storm the false gunport lids for not shipping water.

But they were false, and are removed after. It was a simple board.

Notament we did on our 12lb frigates as l'Hermione or la Belle-Poule.

Hi Freddy:

First thing to say is ... "Congratulations". I know how complex and long can be a detailed ship hull modeling process.

I have some historical comments for Cavero.

Cavero: The Jorge Juan construction system is not the English, but the Jorge Juan one. It was the result of a personal development and integration he made from Traditional, Spanish, English and French systems.

The work was derived from theoretical analisys and experience, as he was a Seaman as well as a Scientist and a Naval Architect. Justification of his designs can be found at his: "Examen Maritimo Teorico Practico" Vols 1 and 2, published -1743.

Your model seems to be a design from Antonio Gaztañeta Iturribalzaga, and hence, belongs to the pure traditional Spanish construction system.

Original drawings from Gaztañeta can be found at our Naval Museum, and surely in the Net. If you want to be accurate, compare all `plans before starting the work, as most plans in the net belong to comercial models, and not to the original ship design. Don't trust on that kind of plans.

Check this link .....

http://www.todocoleccion.net/lineas-navegacion/planos-navio-san-fernando-museo-naval-ver-foto~x16319926

Regards

Edited by IonAguirre

thnx, do you have an image showing the sharp bow on a spanish vessel?

Sorry freddy. If you read my post again, you'll see I've changed it.

I wrote it thinking on Jorge Juan and on, ages designs. The Gaztañeta years belong to the earlier, traditional, more rounded, bows design.

Here is a drawing from Gaztañeta. Bow and stern framing is included at both sides and can be used for 3D modeling.

This approach with gunports at every deck is an early design, and was never built that way.

MQFyzoN.jpg

Edited by IonAguirre
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...