Game-Labs Forum

Is it going to be possible to insure your ship?

I was thinking today about why so many people avoid and run from fights and the whole 5 lives thing.

Will it be possible to insure ships so that one does not have to worry about replacement but have premiums go up for people who throw ships away?

I have to tell you, now that I finally have a brig (with no rear guns yet, why do I have to pay and extra full priced gun spread for two rear guns?) I really do not want to go back to the lynx or cutter. I just aint going to risk this baby on humans that might be possible gankers. At least not until I have enough money to replace her.

It is not sustainable and will make people risk averse with the 5 strikes and you are out system. I thought insurance for a small fee might soften the blow.

You already have 500% insurance when buying your ship, its the dura count.

Merchants insuring their cargo is both practical and historical.

Insuring ships was also historical for merchantmen but 5 ships weren't normally supplied when purchasing a hull so I guess you can't have it both ways.

Naval ships were neither owned by the captain or insured.

500% insurance is great up until the last 100%.

maybe the game could offer insurance rates based on how much a player plays.

The less you play (read more casual) the less insurance is.

For those hard core who are so good they do not fear death and loss or on release when the build will probably have more of a grind don't get insurance.

Gold isn't the real problem.( I made 50k gold as Pirate midshipmen. Just buying pine for 2Gold and selling it for 10) The bigger problem in my opinion is that you have to spend hours on traveling just to find a ship that fit to you. I hope that will change with crafting.

I have not had the pleasure of playing the recent alpha build but I have watched a lot of YouTube videos(research to see if I would want the game... Dumb question right lol.) and I have noticed that a lot of people are willing to throw down the gauntlets but an insured ship versus a 2 or 3 life ship.... I think I would pony up the coin to insure a ship.  It can be purchased for something like 33% with a deductible of 15% of the total cost of the ship.  But if your ship goes down there is a waiting period for it to be "salvaged" and all add on's such as Extra bow planking will be lost and it goes back to factory (with all permanent perks of course).

Thanks for listening to my rant!

Aren't they eventually adding a way to increase your ship's durability back up to 5?

I agree with others that basically the durability system sounds like insurance. (and quite forgiving at that, I don't know of any insurance provider that would replace the same wrecked car 5 times)

Edited by ajffighter86

Why should there be a max Durability?  If you want to add more Durability would you not just buy the same ship and combine it with the existing and add 5 more durability to it?  This was a fairly simple process in POTBS where you actually bought a deed to a ship.  The ships here are outfitted a bit differently but there should be a way to add Durability.  Insurance was included with the ship but you lost certain mods, such as sails, guns and hulls. 

Captured ships were one durability.  I have no aversion to having insurance if you want to buy it.  Why would you spend money on a free ship?  That was the whole point of them.  Capture them kill as much as possible and if you sank you go find another one.