Game-Labs Forum

Getting rid of "sides" in battle instances

I posted this earlier in another thread, but maybe this needs an own thread to bring it to the admin's attention and to make it possible to discuss. This is to solve some problems with how battle instances work, especially the abuse of game mechanics where a chased player joins an ongoing battle to escape.

--

Maybe we should get rid of these "sides" in battles, and just go by flags. Would be a bit more complicated, since suddenly more than just two factions can be in one battle at the same time, but a bit more realistic.

I know that it would be very hard for the system to detect who is the winner and who is the looser in a battle, and when the battle is over, but maybe we should get rid of that too. When all enemies are sunk you have that "leave" timer, and when noone is shooting anymore for however long they can leave. Since xp and money do not depend on winning or losing the battle (I think) it is not needed to set terms for win and lose.
Or, implement a politics system, so that the system knows which sides are friendly to each other and which are at war.

This politics system can also detect who fires at whom, and maybe show on a Nation's "billboard" which nations fired at them to enable players to make political decisions like declaring war, or sending a warning to another nation that is in peace with them and fired at them nevertheless.

• Like 1

This was asked bevore and many times.

The problem in 3 sided or even more sided battles is its abuse potential. As well as a great imbalance in an ongoing fight.

Just imagine yourselfin such a 3 sided battle for example.

The 3rd participant only has to stay away and watch the two other's battle. Wait until theyre really badly damaged and farm the kill. Good fight I guess?

Devs said that such battles will not be implemented. Its potential for abuse is huge.

POTBS tried it out and failed. So devs already have data about this experiment ;)

That's sad... I think it would be realistic, but I can see that many people would not like it. Same as many people don't like "unfair" battles, although in history someone who fights a "fair" battle did something wrong most of the time.

Oh, and in my opinion a clear resolve is not needed... But really, this is just my opinion, and I can see that many people need the game to tell them that they just won a battle.

I mean, battles are mostly not about killing everyone, but driving the enemy out of the area, getting their resources or protecting own resources. There should be a "deeper" reward for battles than just the "You won" at the end of it.

Edited by mirror452

That's sad... I think it would be realistic, but I can see that many people would not like it. Same as many people don't like "unfair" battles, although in history someone who fights a "fair" battle did something wrong most of the time.

I have never neard of 3 sided naval engagements, can you give me an example?  I am just a bit of a history interested person.

• Like 1

Oh, and in my opinion a clear resolve is not needed... But really, this is just my opinion, and I can see that many people need the game to tell them that they just won a battle.

I mean, battles are mostly not about killing everyone, but driving the enemy out of the area, getting their resources or protecting own resources. There should be a "deeper" reward for battles than just the "You won" at the end of it.

You are missing a point - right now no battle has formal win or loss. By resolve I mean, you are very damaged, but demolished an opponent, having a satisfaction of victory. And now at this point a third side who lingered 3 km away ruins everything. There are no 3sides in football.

Can 2 different factions group up in this game?  I only received my key on Friday so I don't know all the ins and outs of the game so far so forgive my ignorance please, as I've only strolled about on my own so far.  The reason I asked is, can't this be used to help facilitate 3 sided battles?  Only allowing players from other factions to back up people they where already in a group with before the battle began. 

This would allow for alliances to be useful in the game but also stop the aforementioned abuse. 

EDIT:  Or have I missed the point?  we're actually talking about a 3 way slug fest?

Edited by Detonator