Game-Labs Forum
admin

Boarding changes feedback.

Yea except you try jumping from one to another....two ships 15 feet apart, pitching and rolling. These are sailors some of who might not even known how to swim and they are just gonna jump across like a ninja. Plus last time I checked you don't have to be side by side travelling in the same direction to board. Furthermore, I might not be a physics major but I'm pretty sure if I have a 3,000 ton warship travelling at 5 knots it is going to take an enormous amount of effort to lasso it and pull it alongside my ship.

Yeah, grappling a moving ship was a fool's errand.

Successful boarding involved the ships actually grinding against each other.

An ideal system would add a collision box for the bowsprit and similar colliders to the shrouds. When the twain shall meet, you can grapple successfully. Other than that the grapple range should be about a yard.

I really think most other aspects of Naval Action are great and even the few that are not are moving in the right direction. However, the whole boarding combat system I really don't like and kind of think it just needs to be scrapped. We shouldn't be able to really grapple massive warships as has been pointed out for one. Secondly, and this might be more important, having what essentially is a rock, paper, scissors mini game in todays gaming world just seems super antiquated. It's like we have this highly detailed sailing and damage model then when it comes to boarding its like a poorly designed mini game. You wouldn't send boarding parties on to an enemy vessel to attack....then fire deck guns......then brace....then defend.....then fire muskets.....oh wait make that a counter attack. It just seems super contrived if you ask me. A game of this stature and depth needs a better boarding model. I'm guessing in real life most boarding actions came down to numbers and better trained crew.....not someone playing a better ro-sham-bo

• Like 1

main issue with boarding is the exploit of the cooldowns mixed with the fact that ai always chose the best counter for your move, but not use cooldown for switch, so you can lure/beit it to make always the biggest mistake ending boarding in 2-3 rounds 

example:

you chose musket fire he go counter attack, than you switch to defend,   

you go attack, he go defend, you switch to fire decks /grenades

etc etc

• Like 1

Guest raat

I really think most other aspects of Naval Action are great and even the few that are not are moving in the right direction. However, the whole boarding combat system I really don't like and kind of think it just needs to be scrapped. We shouldn't be able to really grapple massive warships as has been pointed out for one. Secondly, and this might be more important, having what essentially is a rock, paper, scissors mini game in todays gaming world just seems super antiquated. It's like we have this highly detailed sailing and damage model then when it comes to boarding its like a poorly designed mini game. You wouldn't send boarding parties on to an enemy vessel to attack....then fire deck guns......then brace....then defend.....then fire muskets.....oh wait make that a counter attack. It just seems super contrived if you ask me. A game of this stature and depth needs a better boarding model. I'm guessing in real life most boarding actions came down to numbers and better trained crew.....not someone playing a better ro-sham-bo

I can agree with the bolded statement.  As much as the new boarding is an improvement from what we had in ST1, it really doesn't do the game justice when compared to the rest of what we have.

The sailing, the ship combat, etc. are glorious.  Really exciting and immersive.  The boarding might be more immersive with time, but the menu sim/mini-game for boarding really feels not good enough for this game.

• Like 2

Boarding is a resolution of previous actions. 

• Inflicting casualties on the crew
  • Preparing your crew for boarding
  • Slowing down the enemy

If you have significantly better crew with ship fitted out for boarding and with hired marines or trained boarding parties you will most likely win the boarding. But the difference have to be significant. Because in all other cases defender can just disengage using only brace and defend conserving preparation. Unfitted cerberus can easily fend off attackers from a Constitution and disengage. But it cannot win that boarding unless Constitution has low crew. 

On the comments that you can be re-boarded again if initial attempt failed.

If you have enough preparation (have not wasted it in previous rounds) you can and should be able to try again - it is historical and happened before.

Especially if you are stuck into the wind or demasted.

On the Rock paper comments some of you are making.

There is no luck in boarding now. Thus it is not Rock paper game. You can exit in 4 rounds (3 if you have boarding axes). 

I m not able to play ATM but i m reading the forum.

I love the idea of prize crew but not to control the ship.

Prize crew is made to control prisonner.

Into a battle we can assume they série just a minimum number of them to control that opposent keep their would and not try to escape.

The bigger the ship, the biger the prize crew. Players may choose the number of men to let aboard with the Risk that if they are not enough, sunderring ship escapes.

Second point, i see in this topic awfull screenshots from people wanted to help devs with big issue and ty all for that to allons devs to correct bugs.

Anyway for one of you there is 10 exploiting. Maybe soft wipe time may be coming ?

Simply put, it's the crew left behind on the prize ship to sail her back to port.

As far as grappling goes, there's almost no way to stop ships completely in this game. There has to be some abstraction, and the 5 knots rule seems to be just fine. No one's jumping 15 feet, either, that's what grappling is for.

Just get rid of surgeon and you will get rid of chain boarding. As simple as that. No need for ever more complicated systems.

On the surgeon

We have said several times that this skill is needed to test boarding faster - the more cases the better. 

It will be moved to a surgeon officer with gradual over time recovery. 

• Like 6

They don't care if morale hits 0. This is the third time I've observed it:

siC15Eb.png

Isn't the check for boarding wins that morale = 0 while you attack? This is an instant win as soon as you click attack morale 0 alone is not enough (i think).

Isn't the check for boarding wins that morale = 0 while you attack? This is an instant win as soon as you click attack morale 0 alone is not enough (i think).

I've had the enemy surrender when he was "Counter-attacking" and i was "Defending". After one round his morale was 0, his crew at 600 and his ship surrendered. 

Admin: "There is no luck in boarding right now. Thus it is not a rock paper game. You can disengage in 4 rounds."

I think that might be part of the problem. Some of us are finding boarding to be a bit too predictable, too easy, and lacking of any tactical challenge whatsoever. I'm going to have to echo what Blackjack Morgan said (which is what myself and Raatha, and others, have mentioned) in that the boarding system doesn't reflect the level of skill required for other areas of the game.

Trying to see things from your perspective, I can tell that you seem to think there is a real challenge to the system you guys have developed—otherwise you wouldn't keep reminding people that you can disengage if you start losing the fight. Frankly, I'm not seeing the difficulty. Thanks for the disengage tip, but I haven't had to retreat from battles I'm always winning due to how easy it is to exploit the current boarding mechanics. I've yet to have to use disengage.

It is still rock-paper-scissors, but now with the distinction that you know what your opponent has chosen, which adds another layer of simplicity and, I'm sorry if this is harsh, but boring predictability to the boarding gameplay. Heck, adding just a little luck back into boarding might actually make boarding engagements interesting, in that you won't know with 100% certainty that your chosen tactic will be effective.

I'm not advocating for complete randomization of battles, maybe just throw a trick play at me here and there to shake up the monotony and easy nature of the current system.

I say to the developers:

Give me a reason to bite my nails again!

Put me on the edge of my seat!

Make me lean in towards my monitor, utterly captivated by the events unfolding before my eyes, even though it increases eye-strain!

Raise. my. blood. pressure!

Rework the boarding system.

The single greatest change that can be made to boarding at the moment is for the ships to NOT drop sails. 

Let them drift.

If both ships are in auto sails they will drift on a single course at say a few knots.

If one or both ships have been manual sailing they will end up into the wind.

This will allow people to actually be able to disengage. And is an alternative to adding a cooldown timer to boarding.  I mean really - if you have just cut away all the attackers grapples do they just pull some more grapples out of their ass to immediately grapple again?

I've had the enemy surrender when he was "Counter-attacking" and i was "Defending". After one round his morale was 0, his crew at 600 and his ship surrendered. 

Ok there seems to be an inconsistency [bug?] then.

Ok there seems to be an inconsistency [bug?] then.

Definitely. I'm just confused as to what the bug is. If they are meant to surrender when they reach 0 morale or if their meant to surrender when they reach 0 morale AND is attacked.

They don't care if morale hits 0. This is the third time I've observed it:

It is a feature.

If some Sikh division has zero morale in Bangalore, they won't surrender to a British unit in London.

If British expeditionary force has zero morale in Dunkirk, they won't surrender to Germans 10 km away if Germans don't attack. 

Why should they?

They have 0 morale but if no-one attacking them they won't care and will gradually recover. 

This will allow people to actually be able to disengage. And is an alternative to adding a cooldown timer to boarding.  I mean really - if you have just cut away all the attackers grapples do they just pull some more grapples out of their ass to immediately grapple again?

This can be done, but here is the question - if attacker has not expended preparation at all during previous attempt, why he suddenly cannot re-board again?

Because all his grapples are still on the opponent's ship attached to the end of the ropes that had to be cut to disengage?

Would it not take a moment to fashion jury-rigged grapples to re-attempt boarding?

I don't think "all" the grapples would be used. Otherwise, how would one board multiple ships?

Cmon buddy.

If people took all statements as absolutes or literally, my ass would be wet from kisses.

But seriously though, how many would really be to hand? Would sailors not have to fetch new means of securing themselves? 

You bring up a good point about multiple ships - Should we only be able to keep surrendered/ captured ships if we actually put a prize crew on it? This would put a credible limit on how many ships we could actually chain cap.

If we don't put a prize crew on it , and nobody else does it will be a derelict and disappear after the instance.

Edited by DazednConfused
  • Like 2

Because all his grapples are still on the opponent's ship attached to the end of the ropes that had to be cut to disengage?

Would it not take a moment to fashion jury-rigged grapples to re-attempt boarding?

Preparation (preparedness) includes fatigue, prepared grapples, and people who are ready to board. 

If it is above 50 the attacker should be able to board. If he spent all preparation in battle he will have to wait 1.5 mins. 

You suggest to punish the attacker who conserved preparation. We would like to know why the attacker should artificially be limited from boarding if he has preparation ready

Preparation (preparedness) includes fatigue, prepared grapples, and people who are ready to board. 

If it is above 50 the attacker should be able to board. If he spent all preparation in battle he will have to wait 1.5 mins. 

You suggest to punish the attacker who conserved preparation. We would like to know why the attacker should artificially be limited from boarding if he has preparation ready

On the other hand the smaller weaker defender is being punished for being able to successfully disengage is he not? If prep wins like you say there is no point in having the disengage tool unless you are even opponents.