Game-Labs Forum

...and the winner is... UNION !!!

Hi friends,

game became ridiculous!.

Regardless which side I choose, the outcome is almost always the same.

Winner: union

Looks like low skilled played cried enough to reinforce union so hard, that high skilled players are now undeafeatable with union.

What is advantage of  Rebels ?

Close combat ??? Maybe it was, but it isnt anymore.

3 Star Union regiments meanwhile work like machine guns and good god they are fightingmachines in close combat.

Pettigrew and Archer cant charge Meredith out of the woods.

I attacked McPhersons, defended by Meredith and Bucktail today with complete Penders Div, Pettigrew and Archer...

And I failed^^.

Atm I would rather agree to a completely even setup instead of giving sides an advantage.

It isnt fun anymore.

The option is: take union or lose.

P.S.:

If someone is interested to play good old Sid Meiers Gettysburgh, just send me a pm. Ty

Edited by Aggressive_Kunst
  • Like 1

I actually have to agree with you. I feel the Confederates are at a disadvantage most of the time. The ONLY way I can win as the Confederates is if I butcher A.P Hills two divisions during the first day with taking as many points as possible. That makes it a bit easier for me during the second and third day but good Lord, the death toll for my side is devastating. I don't understand how R.E.B. Blunt is able to post such ludicrous scores as the Rebels. I can't do anything except die as them! 

I actually have to agree with you. I feel the Confederates are at a disadvantage most of the time. The ONLY way I can win as the Confederates is if I butcher A.P Hills two divisions during the first day with taking as many points as possible. That makes it a bit easier for me during the second and third day but good Lord, the death toll for my side is devastating. I don't understand how R.E.B. Blunt is able to post such ludicrous scores as the Rebels. I can't do anything except die as them! 

That guy sure does post crazy stats man! I fear going up against him each time I play multiplayer. xD

Hi friends,

game became ridiculous!.

Regardless which side I choose, the outcome is almost always the same.

Winner: union

Looks like low skilled played cried enough to reinforce union so hard, that high skilled players are now undeafeatable with union.

What is advantage of  Rebels ?

Close combat ??? Maybe it was, but it isnt anymore.

3 Star Union regiments meanwhile work like machine guns and good god they are fightingmachines in close combat.

Pettigrew and Archer cant charge Meredith out of the woods.

I attacked McPhersons, defended by Meredith and Bucktail today with complete Penders Div, Pettigrew and Archer...

And I failed^^.

Atm I would rather agree to a completely even setup instead of giving sides an advantage.

It isnt fun anymore.

The option is: take union or lose.

P.S.:

If someone is interested to play good old Sid Miers Gettysburg, just send me a pm. Ty

Well historically the Confederates were at a disadvantage in this battle given the terrain and size of the Union Army. Not being able to command troops on the regimental level like you could in SMG limits the angles of attack and approach that you can take. This also works both ways so you must use it to your advantage. I have won more games with the Confederates than I have lost since the new patch in multiplayer by carefully using the terrain and driving the enemy out out of their positions with overwhelming fire. I only charge or engage in melee combat under extreme circumstances. 

Example if Meredith is in the woods I would use 1 brigade to screen his fire while I send another brigade into the woods to shoot it out with him in equal terrain cover. Never needlessly waste your condition by charging or running, and never just shoot it out with the Feds in unfavorable terrain unless it's to screen an advance for your troops to get into better cover or to wrap around their flank.

A tactic employed by the Confederates during the war was to attack in oblique (diagonal) angles. This meant that the whole enemy line's fire couldn't be brought down on their advance. This would result in either a shift in the enemy's battle line or their line being outflanked, this works great in this game .

It requires a bit more planning and quick thinking to win as the Confederates especially if you don't know all the scenarios, since time is always against you and you are also on the attack. Some of the best terrain on the map is not sitting right on the VPs and that terrain can be used as stepping stones and cover for your troops as you move on to take objectives. 

Edited by kc87
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Again, I dont agree at all. I've challenged you before to play a game with me but you seem unwilling to put your money where your mouth is.

In which scenarios is it that the Union is so overpowered?

Benner's Hill and Metting on Cemetery Ridge are the only ones I think favour the Union in particular but that has more to do with the map than the armys.

So.. find me on Steam, Koro { W.A.R and you can be the Union.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This is ridiculous.

I recently played two single player battles and on the highest difficulty level I won both of them (first  - with 16,000 Confederate casualties and 23,000 Union casualties, the second one - with 20,000 Confederate casualties and 30,000 Union casualties)

Edited by Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck

• 2 weeks later...

i've played through the Campaigns of both factions, on the hardest difficulty(determined i think), with boost ai turned on. i've kicked ass as both sides. as the confederates, just position your troops to where the union general needs to send more men to a certain area, then when the area is cleared of most brigades, assault it. Warning do not assault cannon batteries with one brigade, will almost always result in mass casualties for you, and having that brigade trying to recuperate afterwards for most of the battle. if you want more advice contact me on steam, Michaelsmithern is my username

as the confederates, what you should try to do on day one, is take mcphersons woods, with archer, and have davis for on the ridge. Pettigrew and brokenbrough can be positioned anywhere( i suggest your center), then hold and wait for penders brigades, experience may change as a lot of men die, but eventually the union will attack with the iron brigade and cutler, and your troops will screw them over. Now when penders brigades show up send two around to the cemetery hill, and one to the center or right flank. attack from the hill and with davis. use the rest of your forces to push any brigades from down south away from the fight in the north. after this you should have a strong flank. Day 1, part 2. hold and take some shots the union, wait for the 3 advanced brigades(Iverson, Doles, and whats his name). use them in gettysburg to kill any arty they have attacking on the left side of the map. when daniel and ramseur show up use them to break the stalemate. and prepare to assault the union center. now when the rest of ewells corp shows up, use all four brigades( louisana tigers, smith, avery, and gordon) to take culps hill.  you should be in a good position from here on out. 

P.S. take the union center if you'd like. but in the day 2 when they counterattack you'll get more kills holding at culps hill

Edited by michaelsmithern