Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Prater

Battle Join Timers

The join timer is currently at 10 minutes.  The speed we see our ships going on open world is not knots.  It is roughly km/minute.  This means that if I am going 10 knots on open world, I can travel 100km.  If I am traveling 15 knots, I can go 150 km in 10 minutes.  If I am going 20 knots, I can go 200km.  The average speed fit frigate goes 20+ knots at its best point of sail.

Let's assume that I am in a frigate that goes 20 knots.  Starting at Plymouth, Montserrat, I have enough time to get to any battle in this blue circle if the wind is with me.

Uf2vhi1.jpg

Here is the distance in 5 minutes

JUBe6Qz.jpg

Here is the distance in 2 minutes

JQD8JiT.jpg

Here is the 30 seconds that Kaos and Mr Doran are proposing

6kg6AdW.jpg

I tested this theory out.

My coni is speed fit. It reaches between 22-24 knots at the best point of sail. I left Plymouth and this is how far I traveled in 10 minutes. I went a little more than 200km.

pJm0kJP.jpg

• Like 6

That puts things in perspective. Currently there seems to be a very slim possibility of applying any real world strategy. NA is positioning itself to be limited to repeating isolated battles.

Guest raat

Yeah, I don't know about 30 seconds, but that isn't a bad idea necessarily.  Would need testing.  But I'm for testing 30 secs-2 min.  Seems like a much more reasonable timer for entry than 10 minutes.

• Like 1

Just for reference, I was at goat island trying to get to that big battle right outside Plymouth this weekend.  Like I could clearly see the crossed swords and I couldn't even get there in 10 minutes (the wind was directly against me).

Personally I'd rather have realistic spawn locations though.  If you sailed from 10 minutes away, put them so far upwind they are a spec on the horizon and would have little to no chance of getting to the action.  Do that instead of closing battles IMO.

Edited by Booyaah
  • Like 1

I think the 2 min timer would be a good middle ground to try out for a start also after the timer runs out the battle marker goes away.

• Like 1

We have sailed with a fleet of about 6 ships, SOL's, heading against the wind. Since some where in bigger and in smaller ships there was a bit of a gap between al of us, but we were all very visible to eachother.

An AI fleet popped up in front of us, tagged out first ship, and we tried to join in the battle. Even though we were so close to eachother, we took about 3-4 minutes to get our slow ships in that battle, that was SO close.

I think there is a blessing in a short timer, but its a very fine line between blessing and curse. IMO less than 5 is just too short

Edited by SteelSandwich
  • Like 2

The problem here is that you out the instance can travel too more fast that ships in instance. You can put your ship in the other side of the wind. 2 minutes is the best compromise I think. 

If you sail a big and slow SoL upwind, you can not enter in the battle anyway. You need spawn in the instance in the same equivalent spot where you was in the instant the battle begun. Not send a frigate for engage and you positioning at relative warp OS speed.

I support shortening the timer. I think we ought to start at 2 minutes, then see if either 5 minutes or 30 seconds makes more sense, or if 2 minutes is fine.

Timer can remain 5-10 minutes if reinforcements arrive at a natural distance based on time. That means that even if a ship joins 1 sec late, they are at a minimum at the edge of the initial instance circle, and that distance must increase relative to the ongoing fight in the instance as time progresses.

How about adjusting the distance you can join a battle, along with the timer?  Remember, the Devs can adjust more than just the time for players and AIs to join a battle.

For example:

Set the battle join timer to 2 minuted after the battle begins.  But allow players who are 25km away to select the battle icon and join.  Those who are caught up in the initial "tag" spawn near each other like now, and those who join the battle spawn at a much greater distance, based on a scale factor of their OW position and distance from the battle.

This allows teams to join fights together, rewards OW formation-keeping, and prevents players who are over the horizon from jumping into what was a good fight 9 minutes and 50 seconds ago.

5 minutes.

You dont have optimal winds all the time and this allows for a margin of error.

Let's test 5 minutes next patch and if it is still too much, we can lower the timer once more!

I would defintely like to try a reduced timer but we also have to take into account when the seas will be much more densely populated.

5 minutes may be a good place to start but I think ultimately it would end up being in the 1-2 minute range. We'll never know unless we get the opportunity to test it.

The battle timer should be equal to the distance you can travel to the horizon (edge of draw distance) in a slow ship on a beam reach.

This will cut down on the frustration of having battles lock in front of your eyes all the time, since most battles will be locked by the time you ever see them. All battles should be locked for players exiting cities.

• Like 1

Guest raat

All battles should be locked for players exiting cities.

I like that idea.  Really like that idea.  Eliminates those port snipers.

• Like 3

I like that idea.  Really like that idea.  Eliminates those port snipers.

Yeah, but now I'm second-guessing myself. Maybe ports should have a small zone of long battle timers for a couple kilometers.

5 minutes.

You dont have optimal winds all the time and this allows for a margin of error.

Let's test 5 minutes next patch and if it is still too much, we can lower the timer once more!

The objective of a lower timer is to increase the difficulty (to some actual level of difficulty) on the OS not decrease it. If you plan it right ten-five minutes is more than enough time in even shit wind to bring a 2v2 into a 2v10. With a one minute/bellow or even a two minute timer people are now being held to some standard of OS planning and group cohesion compared to what we have now. It can be easy enough to find a fight with 100 people on so imagine your 10 minute timer with 1000 people on. 

• Like 2

I think 5 mins is a good starting point, 10 mins is too long so the sensible change is to cut it to 5 and test that and adjust from there. It should be open long enough for freinds to make it into the battle of their choosing but not long enough to allow a gank fest

I would almost say leave the 10 min timer when its player vs bot or bot vs bot, but stop players from joining their allied bots to attack a player beyond the 5 mins (or whatever) timer.

So like if i attack a bot, anyone from my faction can join for 10 mins still. However enemy players cant join the bots side beyond the 5 min cut off. In player vs player it would be a 5 min cut off.

A system where it encourages a layed back approach to fighting AI as a group but not allowing players to jump each other past a set point.

But realistically changing the battle timer would do more for reducing ganking then the purposed RoE changes. Countless times its been a fair battle up until the 7min mark the half a armada joins to help their mate. Lol

The closer the timer is to the cut off time the further the reinforcements should arrive into the battle.

• Like 2