Game-Labs Forum

Crew and Rank

I am thinking about this and I have a sugestion.

Now we can use hammocks or other modules for overcrew the ships, but when you are Commodore for example and command a Belle Poule. As commodore maybe you can have the privilege of overcrew the less ranked ships based in rank.

For example a full crewed Belle Poule needs a Master & Commander rank but if you are Post Captain you have a +2% crew. Flag Captain obtain +4% crew. Commodore +8%, Rear Admiral +12%...

• Like 2

sounds like it will attract players to sailing vessels which they can crew with too much men and then roflstomp others..

Dont forget you get all kinds of bonuses with more crew. Not apparent at first sight but:

Relative crewloss is reduced which means you wont suffer so much penalties. reload, turnrate or yards and the ship.

Which means you can create a very very strong ship when you are a high rank captain.

Which makes you superior to the appropriate guy asiling the same ship.

Its also strange regarding history and the human's behavior. Why would I want to sail a small vessel when I could be captaining a stronger one?

Most ships, if fully crewed, were already stuffed to the gills.  The Royal Navy had a minimum amount of space required for each man's hammock, and it wasn't very easy to pack more on.  For that reason, and also the excellent reason that Bungee outlined, I'm personally not a fan of the idea.

Even a Post Captain temporarily assigned to a sloop wasn't able to pack more than the alotted number of men aboard, simply by dint of being a Post Captain.

Its also strange regarding history and the human's behavior. Why would I want to sail a small vessel when I could be captaining a stronger one?

Because floating bricks (and I almost include Bellona in this category) are boring for example. There plenty people in real life that reject promotions because the office life don't like. And a captain in a frigate will have actions that gain promotions and prizes and he will sail more free, and first rates not.

For the other points about people abusing the feature, you and the others maybe are right.