Game-Labs Forum

Silent Hunter Maps

Windy

Anyone who has played Silent Hunter will know how good there maps are, plus you have ruler, compass and devider, to help navigate.

But the problem is you need to have SH running as well as Naval Action.

So my work around was to screen shot, section by section the whole Carribian.

• Like 1

Copyright problem.

i dont think there would be a copyright problem if naval action were to implement similar features, i think claiming copyright on that would be like wargaming claiming copyright on naval action because naval action is a ship game just like world of warships is(not same era but you get my point)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Real Navigation in Silent Hunter 5 is one of my favorites mods of the many I use, and involves the use of speed / distance charts to plot your current postion from a celestial fix, which you can take yourself with a sextant  . I Would love to see somthing like that in OW , or maybe just your navigator giving you a celestial fix every 4 hours or on request. But I found that im able to get around with out any problems using the Community Map, though we do need a map in game.

• Like 1

Real Navigation in Silent Hunter 5 is one of my favorites mods of the many I use, and involves the use of speed / distance charts to plot your current postion from a celestial fix, which you can take yourself with a sextant  . I Would love to see somthing like that in OW , or maybe just your navigator giving you a celestial fix every 4 hours or on request. But I found that im able to get around with out any problems using the Community Map, though we do need a map in game.

Definitely yes. Even PIRATES ! 1987 tried to emulate something like that .

Navigation can be one of the elements that will attract the appropriate (target) people to this game.

This is indeed one of the things which so far gives me the most fun , although in the absence of proper tools , it is quite primitive counting of course on the basis of time and speed.

The Silent Hunter games did have some useful tools for navigation.  They were handy for setting up an intercept for a distant contact. 

I don't think I'd want an exact position thing, but I really like the idea of having a sextant with a ruler and compass.  Something to give some assistance while sailing in featureless waters. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Silent Hunter games did have some useful tools for navigation.  They were handy for setting up an intercept for a distant contact. 

I don't think I'd want an exact position thing, but I really like the idea of having a sextant with a ruler and compass.  Something to give some assistance while sailing in featureless waters. 

Yeah and old sea chart over the west indies and some rulers with compas heading, and nautical calipers so we can have some dead reckoning atleast!

http://www.history-map.com/picture/001/pictures/Caribbean-Map.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f7/1762_Zannoni_Map_of_Central_America_and_the_West_Indies_(_Caribbean_)_-_Geographicus_-_WestIndies-zannoni-1762.jpg

There are two kinds of maps:

* Accurate for the real world, which is round and has land masses in their real places. Google, Marble, GeoServer, AecGIS and the player-made port maps based on them are in this category.

* Accurate to the flat in-game world and its adjusted landmasses, suitable for in-game navigation since the coastlines, compass headings, angles and distances are correct. The tdamap.com one is the only public one in this category that I am aware of.

• Like 1