Game-Labs Forum

Yep timer and distance is a solid idea. The arena ring would be horrible.

Yes, please please PLEASE do not bring back the artificial ring.

Running away from a battle is a perfectly valid, historical, accurate option when losing a battle (or when it's obvious one is going to lose the battle).

if you run away legitimately then you wont even notice the tweak i offered - think on your escapes and the distances you were when you left.

AKD - you bring up an interesting point. if both ships are the same speed wouldn't that mean they are either both square rigged or both fore aft? i think the suggestion in another thread about reputation would come into play here - if you are similar BR eg. +- 200 then if you run away you lose reputation.

heres how it would play out if both ships are same speed.

the chaser has bow guns - slowly, methodically the chaser will put sail dmg onto runner until the runner realises he cant get away then the fight begins.

the chaser does not have bow guns - the chaser has to yaw to fire - meaning the runner gains distance each yaw. if the chaser does not get a significant hit on the runners rigging the runner will escape.

Thinking about it further, I'm not sure a fixed distance (or fixed distance plus timer after passing threshold) quite works, as you can end up in a situation where two closely matched for speed ships will be in an unending chase because the distance is just under the threshold. Probably there needs to be a system to modify the clock based on distance from enemy, so that your no combat timer is long at short distances and short at very long distances.

That won't likely be a problem if the distance requirement is only 800m or so.

Thinking about it further, I'm not sure a fixed distance (or fixed distance plus timer after passing threshold) quite works, as you can end up in a situation where two closely matched for speed ships will be in an unending chase because the distance is just under the threshold. Probably there needs to be a system to modify the clock based on distance from enemy, so that your no combat timer is long at short distances and short at very long distances.

If each individual ship, not each class, had a different best point of sail, and a different speed at that point of sail, this wouldn't happen often. The chase would pick his best course, and the chaser would have to deal.

This is what happened in real life. Woe to the captain whose best point of sail didn't allow his ship to weather a point of land.