Game-Labs Forum

'Prince de Neufchatel' American Schooner (With Plans)

• 2 months later...

I recommenced work on my attempt at Prince de Neufchatel in blender, still working on the small details and ironing out errors.  Here's a mockup with a bunch of placeholder stuff:post-5691-0-34533700-1444669105_thumb.png  The sail area is huge!  I'll continue working on it in the coming weeks, with more detail shots as I add the greebling.

• Like 8

Oops, misread.  Why get rid of that sail, though?  It's in the sail plan and features in all the paintings I've seen.  It's also probably my favorite of the bunch.

Well, let me look for some of those paintings and I'll get back to you.

I could very well be wrong, but I would think that that sail would be useless except when running downwind. It's the logical equivalent of a studdingsail or a ringtail, which none of the other ships have in the game.

Edit: Well I'll be damned. All the paintings and models I can find depict that main royal with braces, which means they could have set it on the wind as well. Those mad bastards! That makes it an aesthetic decision for you. Personally, I like to see in-game ships with somewhat less than their full spread of canvas (think Trincomalee, rather than Constitution), but that's just me.

Looking again at your excellent model, I've noticed something else in the sailplan you may want to reconsider. You've left out the gaff foresail (which may have been called the trysail), in favor of their enormous mainstaysail. See the bare spar sticking out there, all lonely? Like the royals, this optimizes her for very light winds and emphasizes the curious, ultra-modern aspects of her hermaphrodite rig. The game would struggle to animate this sail properly, I think, and it will cause clipping problems with the gaff spar itself. I would recommend striking that huge staysail and using the gaff foresail instead, like this:

sticker-neufchatel.jpg

• Like 1

I recommenced work on my attempt at Prince de Neufchatel in blender, still working on the small details and ironing out errors.  Here's a mockup with a bunch of placeholder stuff:attachicon.gifprince.png  The sail area is huge!  I'll continue working on it in the coming weeks, with more detail shots as I add the greebling.

please get in touch with Ragnar hairy trousers here on forum.

he will try to help you to get it up to the game standard. 

• Like 8

No luck getting in touch with Ragnar.  On a happier note, I added more details, fixed some high poly placeholders and fancied up my gratings.  post-5691-0-20473300-1444853323_thumb.pngpost-5691-0-90510500-1444853335_thumb.pngpost-5691-0-91867300-1444853345_thumb.png  Can you give a clue what the poly budget is for a brig sized ship?  I kind of want to know how badly I've exceeded it.

Edited by TheWendigo
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

After a complete(and better) rebuild due to a disastrous and painfully educational harddrive failure, I am ready to submit my Prince d N model, except for one problem;  the damned anchor pulley/rope is interfering with the bow chaser port.  Does anyone have any suggestions for alternate anchor placements(preferably with examples)?gallery_5691_319_287847.png

gallery_5691_319_187370.png

Edited by TheWendigo
  • Like 5

i think victory has some anchors blocking a port but in this case the cannon would not be angled that much instead the ship would correct the course to fire at the enemy

You might be right.  Just seems like it would have such a narrow firing arc.  If that's the best that can be done, so be it.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, that is a gorgeous ship. I would really love to see that ship in game, the perfect privateer and frenchmen harasser. How are the chances that a ship like that, having lost in a player selected ship poll, makes it eventually into the game?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...