Game-Labs Forum

'Golden' Yacht 8-Guns (With Plans)

Yacht 'Golden' 

This ship has many names as follows "GroBe Yacht", "New Yacht", "Great Yacht", "Golden Yacht", or "Doro Yacht". The found the following info about it on the web.

Quote:

The Great Yacht which is also called New Yacht or Gold Yacht was built by G. Peckelhering in 1678 - 1679 in Kolberg per sample of sea yacht of prince William III.

The length of Great Yacht was 70 feet (according to another source - 72 feet). The width was 21 feet and the draft - 5 feet. The Yacht had eight cannon ports. The crew consisted of 12 persons; during wartime it increased to 50 persons.

The Yacht was a good sailboat. Since 1680 it was based in Pillau, in 1693 it navigated to Amsterdam, in 1694 it made a voyage from Emden to London conveying the Branderburg ambassador T. von Dankelmann.

At the end of the 1690s and up to 1700 it was in Berlin, then again in Emden till in 1721 it became worthless. 

---------------------------------------------------

* Type of craft - Yacht

* Length along the waterline - 21.18 meters from end of rudder to keel

* Breadth - 6.5 meters

* Draught - 1.5 meters

* Armament - 8 @ 6 pounds

mxOBXlH.jpg

r7kaVgF.jpg

BsaeP96.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Thanks! Did you do/visit anything else besides het Muiderslot ("the Castle of Muiden")? Interesting that the Sehnsucht visited the Netherlands. It's a German replica.

This is the second time for me actually doing something like this :D I modelled a Dutch intercity train carriage for Rail Simulator (now Train Simulator) once, but didn't finish it, 'cus my 3dsmax expired. Also nice reference material I found in these photos of this model: http://www.historische-modellschiffe.com/index.php/grosse-jacht

kW6fz2D.png

Edited by Wicked Mouse
  • Like 2

These ships' hulls were designed as flat as possible to give them as less draught as possible.

In consequence they have really bad leeway. So what could one do against it?

In germany we call them "swords"(a direct translation). And as Maturin points out the lee-board is beeing lowered.

It acts like a keel we have on modern sailing yachts. "digging" deeper in the water it reduces the ship's leeway considerably.

I was once sailing on a "Plattenboat" (netherlands pronounciation) gaff schooner. 20m +bowsprit in lenght.

Those lee-boards are massive and weigh several tons. Requiring quite some manpower to get them up.

___

about the model:

comes along nicely! keep the good work up!

• Like 1

BungeeLemming is on the right track here. This yacht is of the Dutch type "platbodem" ('flat bottom' as BlueEagleGER correctly corrected). As mentioned these ships have a relatively small keel. This allows them to sail through very shallow waters or even on low tide rest on the sea bottom, but the downside to this is that with winds coming from the side the ship will drift far more than desired. To battle this the boards on the side, as said before are called "zwaarden" ('swords' literally translated), were lowered into the water on the leeward side of the ship. One of the most famous examples is the Frisian (a northern province of the Netherlands) "Tjalk".

990019.jpg

Edited by Wicked Mouse

about the model:

comes along nicely! keep the good work up!

Thanks! :D I'm still fairly new to 3D modelling and learning new things along the way, which sometimes results in me removing some stuff and redoing them from scratch. :) I'm dreading the UV unwrapping though xD

Just to add: The german Schwert and the dutch Zwaard , both meaning sword, are known as centreboard in english.

Although the dutch ships have two that are not in the centre at all and those are, as BungeeLeming said, leeboards.

Edited by BlueEagleGER
  • Like 1

It's a bit different. But yes, it's a yacht, a luxury ship. Not a ship of the line.

EDIT: oh and two less guns. This one has 8, the yacht currently already in the game has 10. And I don't know if this one will even be added to the game eventually, but here's hoping :D

Edited by Wicked Mouse

I've found a 'standard' female figure, as I'm not pro enough to make my own, so I think it's allowed to be used in creative commons :) I've clad her and gave her some hair and posed her in the same way. I hope I won't go over the poly count too much :D

dytsAGw.png

This is the model I use for reference:

grosse-jacht-prize-award-winning-model-p

Overview shot:

vRN931o.png

Edited by Wicked Mouse
  • Like 2