Game-Labs Forum

More casualties during combat

Hello guys.

Am i the only one to find that combats should be more devastating for our crew?

I usually end battle with only 3 o 5 losses.

Any suggestion to make it more realistic and make our ships more difficult to manage with casualties? (Slow to reload or sail)

I ve thought that one hit in the front or the back of the ship should cause one men out (injuried or killed) because ships are very weak on the part ,but it would work only with large crew, cause with 40 people combat would be very short.

Any ideas?

Verseaux

• Like 1

i agree i feel like combat isnt really deadly and its not risky enough imo. i feel like you should have to go back to port to replenish crew because crew loss doesn't mean anything atm because the crew refills at the beginning of each battle

ships taking pounds after pounds of lead should have more sailors down due to flying splinters size of cats in their face and limbs and such being crushed. I think the current casualties for the crew should match the rate of which  are ships are so quickly turned to kindling during battle ! :lol:

Actually, it has to do with where the AI aims. In AI battles, crew casaulties are few, in pvp, I usually lose at least 20-30+ people (sometimes a lot more than that) because the ball and double coming from enemy ships are hitting the crew hit boxes instead of at the waterline.

• Like 1

When I look at the poor AI I face.. I must admit crewloss with ball is quite decisive. Trincos loosing 50+ men until they sink.

I also sterncamoed a constitution with mostly ball and occational grapeshot.. result: 180/450 men alive. easy board.

Aim at the ports to maximise the effect on crew. You will knock out guns frequently as well.

It's a difficult topic. I'm sure that it could tweaked a little however crew loss was not as substantial as you may think. It all depended on the engagement. There are multiple battles at sea where ships only lost a few killed and wounded. Take The Glorious First of June as an example. It lasted for 5 days and yet British casualties amounted to roughly 1200 (I understand that this is in part due to French tactics firing aloft). However 1200 divided between 25 ships of the line which had perhaps 600 on board each as they were severely reduced is not a huge loss. Camperdown where the Dutch much like the British fired to kill still doesn't have the sort of casualties that I think you are asking from the game. I believe that raking fire should definitely impact crew more and grape to some degree should be improved. Grapeshot however would have been more for clearing the open decks so should crew management change such as in the implementation of "prepare to board" or something along those lines or if you should be taller than your opponent that should determine its ultimate effectiveness.