Game-Labs Forum

Trim as an extra attribute not as an upgrade

Hi!

Trim should not be an upgrade. I think it is better to tread it like an extra attribute(s) and give it more options. Trim isn't only about the sails and mast positions it is also storing the cargo in the right way.

suggest trim options:

- upwind

- downwind

- half wind - like default

as extra attribute:

- stable cargo storage - less heeling, less turn rate

- unstable cargo storage - better turn rate, more heeling

Also there should be buy able trims as of right now and the possibility of learning how to trim a ship from sailing it. (when you often turn in a ship you learn to trim it better for turn...)

Of course self learned trim of a special ship (not a ship class) should always be better then a bought trim.

George

• Like 5

I've been suggesting something similar for awhile. I'd love to see sails and ballast manually adjusted by the player. You set your ballast and center of gravity up and set your sails trims, through a slider or dial or something similar and then you go sail it and test it.

It doesn't tell you if it is turning faster or heeling less, you have to perceive it and tell if it has worked. You can purchase different types of ballast (sand, stone, lead etc) and you can still buy superior ropes, blocks, deadeyes etc, but the player manually adjusts and fine tunes his ship, rather than a module do it the same for everyone.

• Like 7

Yes a slider would be very nice. If it tells you the benefits and downside or you have to find them out for yourself isn't important for me because sooner or later there will be a table in the forum which kind of ship react to a specific kind of sail an ballast / cargo trim.
What is important to me is that someone who just gets the ship shouldn't be able to trim it as good then someone who sails his ship for (ie) >50 and more hours.
And it should also be possible to go to the shipyard and purchase a trim that isn't as good as a >50 hours.

Edit: i mean real time hours. so months in in game time.

Edited by SirGeorge
  • Like 1