Game-Labs Forum

New Players - Getting Started Guide for Combat Gameplay

For the last ten days or so I have been "testing" from a different perspective: I have been starting new Alts and seeing how hard it is to "level them up".

I decided to share some of what I have found out here, as I hope this thread might be looked at by new players.

If you want to be a "fighter" do this (there are other paths of course - this I have found pretty much goofproof):

1. In a brand new Basic Lynx - fight anybody you can catch up to - that Rules Of Engagement will allow (so NOT mates). There IS NO DOWNSIDE, if you sink you just learned something, if you sink them - whoo hoo.

2. ASAP get into a Yacht or a Cutter or a Privateer as the extra 4 guns will make you more of a killer (but now there is some downside if you are sunk so you might want to pick your battles a bit).

3. When you can afford it put better guns on your Lynx, Yacht, Cutter or Privateer. I would suggest long 6 pounders if you like to pick an enemy to pieces and 12 pounder Carronades if you like to get in closer and punch it out.

In a Lynx, Yacht, Cutter or Privateer you shouldn't get attacked too often by larger ships - if you don't bring attention to yourself from them (like by attacking them or their home port) - but it may happen. You can ask them to let you go in chat, but courtliness is the watchword as some of the experienced players feel entitled to it - they may or may not let you go. If not just remember it was sometimes that way in real life as well.

Once you "graduate" to a Brig, NavyBrig, Mercury or Snow - expect the more experienced enemy players to notice you and to start getting fights with their Brigs, Snows, and even Surprises, Trincomalee's and Connies.

4. Use your Countries chat channel and the help channel A LOT.

Lastly remember - even if you stay with the smaller ships when they see you are a M&C (Master and Commander) or above or you are in enemy territory you may well get some "attention".

By this point taking down Trader Brigs and Trader Snows should be pretty easy for you and you should be taking down Brigs or perhaps joining with a buddy to subdue a Surprise (that's an A+ there)?

-----

I think A new player should expect to invest 6 or 8 hours play to reach Lt. or perhaps M&C and to have enough gold to buy a Mercury or Brig or NavyBrig, hopefully it will "pay it's own way" and in another few hours play time you will be shopping for a Surprise.

But, we do not all learn at the same pace so take heart if it seems a struggle and keep shooting cannonballs!

• Like 10

Looks like helpful tips. I'm new myself. I joined this community a few months ago but only now built a good enough PC to run the game. I found myself absolutely horrendous at combat, however. I would aim my guns at the enemy ship and not hit anything :P

But eh, whatever. I have a lot to learn and there's no better time to do so than during early testing stages. 

• Like 1

Looks like helpful tips. I'm new myself. I joined this community a few months ago but only now built a good enough PC to run the game. I found myself absolutely horrendous at combat, however. I would aim my guns at the enemy ship and not hit anything :P

But eh, whatever. I have a lot to learn and there's no better time to do so than during early testing stages. 

If you can start a fight instance with a trader brig only, that is "target practice" time for me.

Try using the "V" button to get your cannons to fire from front to back and then using space bar to shoot the cannons one at a time. Also face sideways on the wind to blow the smoke away while you practice.

-----

I would first try to get at least passable at shooting them cannons and then practice "de-crew and board" tactics.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

One of the most important thing to win sail battle its to keep wind advantage, and to have it from the beginning of the fight. (when entering battle from OP)

But this concept is quite hard to understand when you ve never sailed before, and for new players in the game too.

Can  someone experimented could make us some plans and images to understand it more easily. As some done it for mastering manual sailing.

It could be very useful for beginners, and for me too, cause i don't get it perfectly.

Verseaux "Nicolas Anthon"

Oh, after the last update i have not battled much, but i see, it seems i must learn now again to shoot. Shots of my broadsides going anywhere, but never where they should ;).

Load double - get REAL close