Game-Labs Forum

Ship Heel effect too great in battle

I love that the ships heel with the wind and I like that we have to amend our speed so that we cannot travel at full speed and fire upwind without range problems.

However when sailing the Bellona you have to stop completely to be able to fire at a targets hull when it is upwind of you. Even depowering the sails does not work. This is not imho a real reflection.of the speeds a ship could sail whilst being able to fight. Under battle sails the ship had steerage way and could fight both sides of its ship. Currently this is not possible. Even Dead Slow is not sufficient to be able to hit an upwind target.

Please look at this for a realistic effect.

Does rotating the yards to luff the sails work?  What about reducing to 20%?

Bear in mind that ships at the time did not fight at 100% sails like we do in the game.  If Battlesails + Depower isn't mainly reducing your heel, maybe there's a problem.  And to be clear, Depower seems to halt your furling right now, so if you're punching battlesails then following with depower before they're fully set, you may be halting the furling to battlesails (if I understand that bug correctly and it's happening the way I think).

Guest raat

Depower absolutely works.  It's only bugged if you simply press "w" after depowering to return to full sail.  However, without fail, it works fine if you simply press "s" to go down a sail before pressing "w" twice to return to full.

I actually like heel currently.  You have to consider your distance and the wind in making sure your shots land on target or sail over the enemy deck.  And it's all but negated if you go Battle sails or Dead Slow along with Depower if you're heeling too much.  I think it's working fine.

Depower absolutely works.  It's only bugged if you simply press "w" after depowering to return to full sail.  However, without fail, it works fine if you simply press "s" to go down a sail before pressing "w" twice to return to full.

I actually like heel currently.  You have to consider your distance and the wind in making sure your shots land on target or sail over the enemy deck.  And it's all but negated if you go Battle sails or Dead Slow along with Depower if you're heeling too much.  I think it's working fine.

Naw, it's bugged six ways to Sunday.

Sometimes it works, but failing the to turn off is only one of the bugs that currently exist.

I've seen T take effect without actually furling sails, or it can furl sails without affecting speed.

Different ship different styles, Henry has pointed out several tactics you may wish to try (if you have not already) you can even back a sail beyond a luff to force your heel into opposite direction, not saying that something is not wrong with the ship, but it may be the ships design rather than any fault or bug. Worth a few more Bell users voicing there findings..!

Guest raat

Naw, it's bugged six ways to Sunday.

Sometimes it works, but failing the to turn off is only one of the bugs that currently exist.

I've seen T take effect without actually furling sails, or it can furl sails without affecting speed.

Really?  It always works for me.  I have noticed that if you depower while in Battle sails that it doesn't animate actually furling the stay sails.  But other than that, it works as intended for me whether to slow, reduce heel, or both.

I am in agreement that there is something "not quite right" with the Bellona. I too have had problems bringing guns to bare, and have fired over the top of very close range targets, even though the lower gun ports are located so low as to make this rather unlikely. I experimented with 'excellent optimized ballast' but it didn't really make much difference. I tried every trick in the book including T function with mixed results. The only one that consistently works for me is turning sharply to "bank the vessel" in the desired direction just before firing if at high speed or dead slow with T function or even lower sails prior to firing. Whereas I fully expect this on frigates I was surprised it was so pronounced on a SOL. Coupled with the extraordinary high attrition of cannons on the lower deck I now actually find the Constitution a more potent fleet battle vessel which intuitively does not appear to be 'right", hence my opening comment.

• Like 1

Whereas I fully expect this on frigates I was surprised it was so pronounced on a SOL. Coupled with the extraordinary high attrition of cannons on the lower deck I now actually find the Constitution a more potent fleet battle vessel which intuitively does not appear to be 'right", hence my opening comment.

Could you try it with deck 1 locked then deck 2 locked etc, see if all decks are missing or if it is a single deck effecting all of them in the form of a bug, as you say lower deck should not go over the top close in, would have to have about 40 degree heel to miss. maybe try the auto broadside from non gunner view too, the [ and ] keys.   Would try it myself but i stopped at the Con and started testing in pirate and neutral so no Bell in main account at presnt.

• Like 1

Ever since getting and sailing the Bellona I personally have had no issues with heeling. If I need to bring that broadside down to bare I always "depower" my sails and turn my yards neutral. Most, "most" of the time that will do the trick perfectly on the rare occasion I will need to go battle sails.

I have to agree with Raatha I believe its working fine right now

I look forward to more replies.

When sailing with a beam wind My Bellona will not fire upwind at a target within double shot range, unless I set it to stop and wait for it to lose all or very close to all momentum.

I have tried multiple variations including depower always with the same effect. Hitting a Cerberus or similar never mind a low in the water privateer is nigh on impossible without bringing the vessel to a complete halt.

In case mods are causing the issue I list my own.

Bellona Permanents:- Blue Copper Plating, Blue Extra Pump, Green Extra stern planking

Edited to correct modules

Belona Fittings:- Copper Plating , Optimized rudder, Extra planking and powder monkeys, Improved magazine access. various qualities.

Guest raat

The Bellona does "heel" more now in Damage 4.0 than from ST1.  However, I've noticed a similar thing with the Victory.

I suspect it's not really heel as much as the height of the hull and that it's now difficult to aim you cannons at the waterline of a ship that's too close within your profile.  The solution only being having to manipulate your sails to counter-heel to get your cannons to aim that low.