Game-Labs Forum

Arranged Weekend Trafalgars anyone???

Booyaah

50 Degrees wind change can make the difference as to whether you are upwind or downwind of the target. (Generally it's said the fleet that is upwind has the advantage.) 

Therefore even a sudden 50 degree wind change can change the outcome of a battle entirely. 

Example, 2 Santi's can easily take down 5 Martello's with good wind. With bad wind 2 Santi's will have a hard time taking down 5 Martello's.

Suggestion:

An idea could be to have a wind indicator before the battle starts, telling us/showing us on a map, in which direction the wind will be blowing. The wind should, throughout the whole battle, go back and forth 15-20 degrees. (So in total the wind can differentiate 30-40 degrees but will always be blowing in just about the same direction. 
To make things interesting and a bit more realistic there could once in a while (not every battle, maybe every twentieth battle) be a sudden 50 degree wind change. It does indeed happen in real life, the wind can do some weird shit such as turn 90 degrees in less than 20 seconds. (Yes, i've had that happen once. The wind was blowing hard from North, suddenly it became totally calm for 5 seconds and then it started blowing at much bigger force from the East, we ended up capsizing since we had no idea what was going on and so no way to prepare for what was about to happen). 

• Like 2

50 Degrees wind change can make the difference as to whether you are upwind or downwind of the target. (Generally it's said the fleet that is upwind has the advantage.) 

Therefore even a sudden 50 degree wind change can change the outcome of a battle entirely. 

Example, 2 Santi's can easily take down 5 Martello's with good wind. With bad wind 2 Santi's will have a hard time taking down 5 Martello's.

Suggestion:

An idea could be to have a wind indicator before the battle starts, telling us/showing us on a map, in which direction the wind will be blowing. The wind should, throughout the whole battle, go back and forth 15-20 degrees. (So in total the wind can differentiate 30-40 degrees but will always be blowing in just about the same direction. 

To make things interesting and a bit more realistic there could once in a while (not every battle, maybe every twentieth battle) be a sudden 50 degree wind change. It does indeed happen in real life, the wind can do some weird shit such as turn 90 degrees in less than 20 seconds. (Yes, i've had that happen once. The wind was blowing hard from North, suddenly it became totally calm for 5 seconds and then it started blowing at much bigger force from the East, we ended up capsizing since we had no idea what was going on and so no way to prepare for what was about to happen). 

The wind right now starts being equal for both sides (if we are talking about port battles and events) and then changes direction by a number between 45-90 degrees every 10 mins. The change is gradual and is executed over 5 mins. We researched some wind changing patterns and in many cases if there is wind change it changes like this. Random change avoids favoritism and can screw up both. Sometimes you are really unlucky with wind and its life. 

Right now there are benefits to be stationary for defenders. In the near future those benefits will dissapear.

Ships that are stationary for more than 4-5 mins will be completely demolished by mortar brigs. Some towers will also be equipped by mortar guns. Stationary will = dead.

Both sides will have to move if they want to survive. Getting to towers using wind will become less important.

• Like 2

The wind right now starts being equal for both sides (if we are talking about port battles and events) and then changes direction by a number between 45-90 degrees every 10 mins. The change is gradual and is executed over 5 mins. We researched some wind changing patterns and in many cases if there is wind change it changes like this. Random change avoids favoritism and can screw up both. Sometimes you are really unlucky with wind and its life. 

Right now there are benefits to be stationary for defenders. In the near future those benefits will dissapear.

Ships that are stationary for more than 4-5 mins will be completely demolished by mortar brigs. Some towers will also be equipped by mortar guns. Stationary will = dead.

Both sides will have to move if they want to survive. Getting to towers using wind will become less important.

I might not have worded myself properly. I do to some degree like the current wind, the randomness is as you explain here actually good for gameplay. 

- But, i find it to be a bit too much, a bit too extreme. My suggestions would still have randomness to some degree.

Perhaps a better suggestions would be to change this; 

"The wind right now starts being equal for both sides (if we are talking about port battles and events) and then changes direction by a number between 45-90 degrees every 10 mins."

To something like this;

"The wind right now starts being equal for both sides (if we are talking about port battles and events) and then changes direction by a number between 15-30 degrees every 10 mins."

or

"The wind right now starts being equal for both sides (if we are talking about port battles and events) and then changes direction by a number between 30-45 degrees every 10 mins."

About the other part of your comment. Sounds very interesting, i never had a chance to try out the mortar brigs so i'm excited to hear that those are on their way back! 

• Like 2

To modify that further and get a better distribution of changes (more small changes, less frequent individual or collective extreme changes), you could do something like this:

every 5-10 minutes (variable so not entirely predictable):

50% chance of 0-15° change

30% chance of 16-30° change

15% chance of 31-45° change

4% chance of 46-90° change

1% chance of 91-180° change

• Like 4

I agree with admin, The wind in the events feels pretty good to me(it is a real pain, but if you have sailed in real live you can notice sudden wind changes as well), i just think it is a bit too fast, if it was up to 50 degrees every 10 minutes, it would be good, maybe, just my two cents.

I would like it if the wind stayed static the first 15 minutes before it starts shifting.  Why?  You need time to close the distance with your opponent initially.  It just doesn't make for good gameplay balance if the wind shifts 90° in the first 10 minutes and all of a sudden one side is completely stuck downwind unable to move to their enemy before they can even close distance first.  I do however like the concept of the wind changing drastically later in the match because it can stop endless runners.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Do we have any meteorologists in the group?  I'm an old aviator and have great respect for the variability of weather.  But there were tools used during the period for some understanding i.e. barometers and knowledge of area wind patterns by season.  There are very good data sources for establishing "generic" weather patterns that might be overlaid on the open world mapped area.  Captains who do not like the weather such a system provides would have to make complaints to an even higher power than Administration.  Just say'n...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Multiple problems occurred

Mayor Lag spikes/ massive loading at the start of the battle.

Fps drops

Unable to fire cannons ( only single shotting)

Game crashes

( Lots of f11 reports where made i believe)  ( not from me as i did not experience any problems myself)

The speed and the length of the battles is perfectly fine in this "no double environment". With  double shot, battles will  go faster. I actually like the no double shot better than with it in terms to trafalgars.

So damage wise it feels great now, unlike with the double shot before, things were too fast/ unbalanced.

* A first rate or 3rd rate got flipped by felvred i believe, i believe steel has it on stream recording. 

there was gun animation delay from the start till the middle of the battle, at first it was like broadside delay but after a while it was spotted that damage is done without animation, probably there were both of them, animation and fire delays. Other than this the battle was fun  :)

Well, i doubt it was just animation. I checked the logs and it categorized all of the lagging shots as "out of sync" and so zero damage. But yes, it stopped after about 15-20 minutes though some people still complained about it afterwards.

Damage wise it seemed pretty good. Even if our side made a lot of mistakes, the battle still dragged on for more than an hour. Even if firstrates still feel a bit squishy there is no room to really buff their armour. However if the meta really will switch to only a few first rates per battle even months after EA, they could definitely need some armour.

• Like 1

The instance that had mostly frigates in it went fine. No lag, crashes or delays were noted. The matchmaking could have been a bit better though. I felt that the red team (red flags) was doomed from the start. Perhaps they were equal in BR, but the same BR split over a lot more smaller ships seems to have an advantage.