Game-Labs Forum

Arranged Weekend Trafalgars anyone???

Booyaah

Well this is like ST - one side ended up slightly further upwind.

I guess it would be very difficult to code ship placement that is 100% balanced so I'm kinda ok with one side ending up leeward as long as it's not the same players all the time who get shafted.

Yeah, I mean, back in Sea Trials, the Brits would win most of the time due to the fact that if the match was unbalanced due to one player having a Bellona while the rest of the team was in frigates, the Bellona was always put on the British side.

Yes, in Sea Trials, one side did always get the wind, but what naval battle did neither side get the wind?  

The problem is that the wind is constantly turning in the same direction and pretty rapidly too.  It would be better honestly if the ships were not deployed with the wind exactly on their sterns, but instead on one side or the other.  With the wind (or ship position) like that, the wind rotation would be more interesting, the "Blue" if they sailed fast enough would be able to gain the wind over the "Red"  while the "Red" would need too be able to conserve their wind position and not over extend themselves.  

On wind.

We will introduce a new wind system that will not favor one side during beginning of the battle.

Proposed system

Wind starts at 180 for both sides.

Wind will change randomly every 10 mins for random number of degrees between 30-90. Change will happen over 5 minute period

Then wind will be constant for 5-10 mins

After static 10 mins pass wind will change again randomly for 30-90 degrees. 

This will bring more unpredictability to the battle and will stop the favoritism for one side.

Balancing

Balancer is already reworked on the internal build partially solving the problem that existed in the user version. 

The only question we want to ask you is this - what is the highest possible imbalance acceptable for large and small events. 

Currently it is 10% - that is why many are left out -  we increased it to 20% in internal version, perhaps we could increase it a bit further and this will allow everyone to get in. 

• Like 5

I fully agree with Scheutz that 10% is too low, yet a full 100%(OW) might be a bit too much?

Scheutz, do you reckon 25-35% would make due?

With that said, thank you very much admin for considering our feedback and adjusting accordingly.

i agree with steel on this one, 25-35% would be good, then we get at worst the same kind of balance as when we(well you) arranged the battles, and at best we get perfect balance(almost never)

• Like 2

I also like to hear those news.

Let's be bold and try 40% max imbalance for the trafalgars. Once we have a greater playerbase I suggest reducing it to 30 % or even less again. Right now we need to keep those events accessible and friendly to testing.

In such large engagements, the effect of a numerical superiority is being reduced heavily by the small number of ships being able to engage effectively at any given time until the melee. Additionally factors as fleet cohesion, communication, leadership, tactics, lack of focus fire and whatnot reduce the influence of numbers even more.

Small battles need to adhere to a better balance. I have not much experience with them, so I hesitate to suggest anything beyond a rough 20%.

Id go as high as 40% in inbalance, within the 1 hour time limit its not like being out gunned by 40% of BR would lead to 24 ships being sunk lol.  IMO better to get as many players in for testing purposes and to see the glory that is huge naval action, then to be too worried about 1 team having more SOL's then the other side.

As it was the one traf i played in, in the hour time limit only 3 ships on ethier side went down, could certainly use a longer battle timer before worrying too much about the sides being uneven :)

Yup, not interested in events as long as this lazy, punish everyone mechanic is used to address problem of people running in battles. Running away is defeat and game should recognize that, instead of imposing all or nothing wins with fake mechanic to enforce it.

The circle is needed. I must say, it bothered me much more when i had to chase a ship that ran for 50 minutes than it did when i died due to the circle.

Maybe the circle should follow the center of the fight(center of the players) so you get drawn back to the fight, instead of drawn to a specific location.

• Like 3

Maybe the circle should follow the center of the fight(center of the players) so you get drawn back to the fight, instead of drawn to a specific location.

I don't think that is the problem. I think it is the pace at what the line of the circle travels which for players in a bad position, is hard to keep up and stay inside within a certain amount of time.

Edited by Goodblue

Maybe the easiest way to prevent ppl being caught unable to outrun the circle is at 20 minutes when the circle starts collapsing, there is a one-time change of wind that flips around in direction 180 degrees so people can go back the other way.  It's gonna be real hard this upcoming weekend to outrun that thing since all combat speeds have been reduced to historical levels.

The circle is needed. I must say, it bothered me much more when i had to chase a ship that ran for 50 minutes than it did when i died due to the circle.

Or better still is a zone around a single ship.... if that ship is not involved in combat at X radius or in Y time a counter starts to warn the player his ship will flounder and sink soon.

• Like 3

Or better still is a zone around a single ship.... if that ship is not involved in combat at X radius or in Y time a counter starts to warn the player his ship will flounder and sink soon.

This, sir, is brilliant.

I've been trying to think of a way to promote combat that still allows the "remote" duels that can spawn from a larger encounter such as these. There are some great mini battles that occur off from the main action in larger engagements, and you can make some great impromptu allies and enemies. It's a terrible thing to penalize these players with a wizard MMO style constricting Ring of Magic Spell.

Your suggestion would allow ships in combat to remain in combat, regardless of their distance from a contrived "center of battle." It's an elegant, organic solution. I can't think of a better way to promote action and still stay historical.

• Like 3