Game-Labs Forum

'Ocean' French 118 guns I-rate

Ned Loe

This class should be the toughest first rate based on its weight at least. It was the heaviest 1st rate outweighing the santisima and the Victory. Apparently a good all round ship.

Would be nice to see the L' Orient modeled as both Ocean and Commerce de Marseille had design defects which were rectified in all the other ships and for those two ships after significant rebuilds.

Edited by Bulwyf

• 2 months later...

More HP than Santi? You must be kidding me. I know devs have to develop comparable ships for the same rate, but, this is to break the historical reality (the little remaining)

To be fair, the L'Ocean is larger than the santi

To be fair, the L'Ocean is larger than the santi

Larger, as all french ships of the line  compared to brits or spanish. But the armor thickness was quite better than Ocean (Santi was made of the best wood of Cuba and South America, that was better than european wood).

And not even close to the buoyancy problems that plagued the Santissima.

The Santisima you´re playing in the game is the version who fought at Trafalgar, by that time, those problems had already solved. Buoyancy problems happened in the first travel of the Santi, from La Habana to El Ferrol, Spain, and Santi still was a three decker.

• Like 1

Larger, as all french ships of the line  compared to brits or spanish. But the armor thickness was quite better than Ocean (Santi was made of the best wood of Cuba and South America, that was better than european wood).

The Santisima you´re playing in the game is the version who fought at Trafalgar, by that time, those problems had already solved. Buoyancy problems happened in the first travel of the Santi, from La Habana to El Ferrol, Spain, and Santi still was a three decker.

Armour thickness != Structue though, the structure or HP is something else which is based on ship size.

No matter how good L´Ocean was. I´m sure in the game will be put in disadvantage with the Victory. And someone will find pseudohistoric data, based on british bibliography, to justify it.

You got some serious hate against the brits going, really starts to sound unhealthy.

I'm looking forward to see this beast in action, prob. outperforming the vic and rivaling the santi at the same time.

I don´t have any hate against the brits. I have some very good british friends. But the bias in the specifications of some ships in this game is fact. For example the Santísima Trinidad.

A personal opinion of mine used by you as argumentum ad hominem. Your preocupation of my opinions could be considered unhealthy too.

Couldnt Tell. Haven't read a post of yours lately that didn't include some form of rage.

Back on topic:

"Soon" was almost 1 year for Bucentaure;-)

I would like it if ships have advantages and disadvantages (no matter the historical reality)

If different ports and different strengths of ships could lead to

A ) mixed fleets (really dislike all victory, all santi, all ingermanland fleets)

B ) no fixed meta where a certain combination of Ships dominate all battles

That would be perfect for me :-)

• Like 1

Armour thickness != Structue though, the structure or HP is something else which is based on ship size.

Ok, but there´re things in this game that I don´t understand, for example, Vic stronger than Santi. Vic was a few metres larger so according to that, it has to have more HP, but armour thickness is the same for both, and that wasn´t true. I know devs are trying to balance ships, but some things aren´t really historical (i only want a little bit of historical parameters). o7

208'33" x 53' ???

First name : État de Bourgogne

By J.N. Sané

Build in Brest

1786-1855

Second name : l'Ocean in 1795

196' 6" x 50' x 25'

32-gun of 36-pdr

34-gun of 24-pdr

34-gun of 12-pdr

18-gun of 8-pdr

Total : 118-gun

Huh?

Victory is 184' with 51.6' beam and 2162 burthen.

Santisima is 201' with 53' beam and 2475 burthen.

Commerce de Marseille is 208.33' with 54.8' beam and 2747 burthen...

In what universe does that make the Victory "several metres larger". In fact she is among the smallest of the late C18th First rates, and later second rates were larger.

Oh, I was wrong, better for me, according to the HP system that describes Olav, Santisma should have more HP

208'33" x 53' ???

These figures are correct, the length and breadth of the Ocean class ships is given in Pieds which is an old measurement. It is equivalent to 1.066 feet and the ocean is 196 pieds long, 196 x 1.066 = 208.936 feet. Ditto for the breadth 50 Pieds x 1.066 = 53.3 feet. These conversion issues are also present in the guns, with the French 36lb guns being closer to a British 42lb gun than a 36lb. Incidentally Victory for a long period of her service only carried 32lb guns.

sounds like victory to me, snoppy

placeholder stats.

she should have 1000+ men and an armament of 42/24/18/12

18s since she sailed off with those after a refit.

Consti has 42lb ocean should have 18s.

They are not copy/paste Vic stats, well except the crew.

API sez you can use 42pd nades instead of the fcsl 12 longs.

And yeah, there is a lengthy debate about the ships gun layout, the game has changed though: 12s and 9s are pretty much useless on a first rate now so her not having 18s on the UD is probably for the best at the moment.

Very soon I think, it has been on naval action craft in the BP section for a while now (that guy seems to have something of an inside track on when stuff is being released) Its in the Naval action API (so I have heard) though with placeholder stats and is appearing in game now as a wreck.

it has been on naval action craft in the BP section for a while now (that guy seems to have something of an inside track on when stuff is being released) Its in the Naval action API and is appearing in game now as a wreck.

Yeah i saw all those things and there is also other clues like the tournament reward (Ocean and Agamemnon (was modified in the NA files at the last patch and confirmed to be added very soon too)) and as far as i know Naval Action Craft never lies ^^ Last time it predicted the Santa Cecilia weeks before its release, i'm quite confident on the Ocean release btw but i wanna make sure and have a confirmation by Wind or another moderator :)