Game-Labs Forum

[UPDATE 26-6-2015 Restored on AppStore] Our game has been removed from AppStore

Good lord, if Apple places the game back in the store then how on earth will we continue this verbal battle of ethics and morality? Should we perhaps start a petition to have them remove it a while longer so we can get this fully argued into exhaustion?

• Like 1

Well done. I actually purchased a second copy of the game on Steam late last night, on a second steam account, for one of my kids who heard about this whole story and became interested. So, now I feel hoodwinked and am going to start a new thread about how this was a grand conspiracy to make us buy extra copies outside Apple  :P

• Like 1

Well done. I actually purchased a second copy of the game on Steam late last night, on a second steam account, for one of my kids who heard about this whole story and became interested. So, now I feel hoodwinked and am going to start a new thread about how this was a grand conspiracy to make us buy extra copies outside Apple  :P

It was a great collaboration between GL, Valve, and Apple to give UGG a mid-year sales boost. Apple provides the controversy, Valve (Steam) provides the spotlight, and GL provides the awesome game, and legions of supporters with wallets at the ready.   

Fantastic! Stupidity will not pass!

Are other Civil War games being restored as well?

Looks like Apple wasn't too scared by the supposed swarming legion of SJWs after all, I look forward to all the retractions of statements in this thread. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

It was a great collaboration between GL, Valve, and Apple to give UGG a mid-year sales boost. Apple provides the controversy, Valve (Steam) provides the spotlight, and GL provides the awesome game, and legions of supporters with wallets at the ready.   

So when is all said and done, the loser here is MY wallet! Twas ever thus.

No it wasn't. That is just a paranoid fantasy shared by you and craven corporations like Apple. No one is offended by depictions of historical symbols in historical context. No one is campaigning against swastikas and battle flags on the covers of games and history books. A few posts on Tumblr do not constitute a political debate or a force worth fearing. Apple is behaving as corporations always have when it comes to the perceived threat of litigation and negative publicity: overwhelming overreaction. This is 100% Apple's fault for behaving like fools.

But let's talk about you instead.

You're choosing the days following a hate crime and terrorist attack to complain about people who speak out against racism and terrorism. That's pretty troubling, and certainly puts you in some interesting company.

Especially since you are really just voicing some bullshit complaint about a tiny (mostly imaginary) minority on the internet, that has pretty much nothing to do with the actual social and political movements at work here. I'll remind you that you just labeled social justice "bullcrap." As a whole. So I'll ask: are you a white supremacist? Or do you just not understand the words you are using?

You are using the classical tactic to discredit social movements everywhere: conjuring up an imaginary laughably extreme position that is supposedly indicative of the movement as a whole. And again, you're doing this in the wake of a national tragedy that proves how badly these "idiots" are needed. You're being a provocateur and so far as I'm concerned, a bigger idiot than anyone at Apple.

And as we all know, Apple's store has an extraordinarily rich history of removing apps that supposedly have sexual or political content. There are dozens of cases more bizarre and ridiculous than this one, and in most of them it is impossible to imagine how a fear of Tumblr users could have provoked the removal.

Social movements have been known to do good but have been increasingly been concentrating on mind-blowingly trivial 'problems' and getting carried away with their own power.

This only bring the SJWs into disrepute and is creating a huge backlash. 

Can't display a historical flag in a historical context? Total authoritarian crap.

Social movements have been known to do good but have been increasingly been concentrating on mind-blowingly trivial 'problems' and getting carried away with their own power.

This only bring the SJWs into disrepute and is creating a huge backlash. 

Can't display a historical flag in a historical context? Total authoritarian crap.

You know, I really hate people who lamely respond to the rebuttal of an argument by repeating the same assertion that was just demolished.

There weren't any SJWs anywhere demanding the removal of historical flags from media like this game. It was not on the radar until Apple's irrational overreaction brought it into the spotlight. (Again, Apple is not a social activist company, and was motivated by preemptive, apolitical PR damage control.)

None of the so-called SJWs were thinking about games or history books. They were focused on the symbols of terrorism that are/were flying above state government buildings, celebrating the murder of their fellow citizens. More recently they have been thinking about the fact that four different black churches have burned down under mysterious circumstances in the South since the day of the attack (as quite a few mosques do every year).

Shit, given the degree to which Apple's action derailed a reasonable debate with all this absurdity, a paranoid person would wonder if it wasn't some sort of 'false flag attack.' And by a paranoid person, I mean someone as paranoid as all the yahoos in this thread who instantly and baselessly assumed that Apple was being bullied by a shadowy cabal of homofascist thought police libtards. You all need to start thinking about how your biases affect your common sense.

• Like 3

I am starting to wonder if Liberalism is not a form of mental retardation...

Eh, I'll take retardation over a similar mental condition that confuses 'honor' with treason and terrorism.

Seriously, if my family had an ancient coat of arms that included a swastika, I wouldn't be ashamed of that symbol because it would have a positive meaning for me personally... but I wouldn't fucking wave it from my truck in front of a synagogue either. Is that political correctness or just being a decent human being?

• Like 1

Well, at least some good came out of this. I had no idea this game was around and I wouldn't have if I hadn't seen the link on my FB page. Years ago used to play Mad Minute games, but I switched from a PC back to a Mac because I got tired of the virus problems on a PC. Anyway, I purchased one copy and will buy another for my son. It's nice to have a War of Northern Agression strategy game available for the Mac and maybe I can coax my son into playing strategy games as well...

War of Northern Agression strategy game ...

It may be redundant to point out but it hasn't prevented me on 5,939 prior occasions: those are fighting words, sir. War of Northern Aggression? War of Southern Repression and Enslavement or WOSRE! Have at you. Hmm...

• Like 1

Great that Apple did this. I only learned about the game from reading a news article of its re-instatement. I am an Apple guy from the mid-80's so this "Apple is garbage" stuff is silly noise to me. Companies are made up of people and people make mistakes. Kudos to Game Labs and Apple for working through it. The publicity brought Game Labs a new customer and I am sure I am not the only one who bought as a result. The awesome game is my focus, not spewing negativity.

Great that Apple did this. I only learned about the game from reading a news article of its re-instatement. I am an Apple guy from the mid-80's so this "Apple is garbage" stuff is silly noise to me. Companies are made up of people and people make mistakes. Kudos to Game Labs and Apple for working through it. The publicity brought Game Labs a new customer and I am sure I am not the only one who bought as a result. The awesome game is my focus, not spewing negativity.

Good lord, enough of this reasonable nonsense! Everyone knows Apple is responsible for placing newborn babies on spikes at the city gates of countries all across Asia and underpaying the pikemen for the work. They're also heavily implicated in nefarious attempts at re-trademarking popular fruit and some vowels, in cahoots with doctors everywhere.

I forgot to add, I do really like the game play. The graphics are very nice and I like the speed of play. It's nice to be able to play a scenario out in 45 minutes to an hour.

a War of Northern Agression

For give me, where is my proper grammar? I should have said " a very nice strategy game of the War of Northern Aggression". Carry on...

Maturin (and others),

You have been so right. It's sort of been a pleasure reading all of the posts in this topic, just to revel in your well considered thinking. I did however love Arvenski's 'calm the eff down' comment; it had me on the floor.

All in all (and very weirdly), I've really enjoyed sailing with you in this dingy.

Richard

Edited by squishband

Dylann Roof chose the Confederate Battle Flag as his symbol - not Apple Corporation.

I'm not an Apple fan - but it seems to me that condemning a corporation for "trying to do something right" in response to a National tragedy is curios and disturbing.  Did Apple over reach in their response?  Clearly.  But I applaud Apple's attempt to show they could DO something.  For far too long the U.S. has looked at every lynching, shooting, and racial hate crime and simply sighed as if there is nothing that can be done.  In many respects Apple got it right.  Apple took a stand - and then rapidly course corrected to a more rational response.  This cycle has helped the U.S. openly discuss the use/misuse of the Confederate Battle Flag.

Game Labs also took a stand and helped to define the demarcation line between rational and proper context for usages of the Confederate Battle Flag.  It took less than a week of inconvenience to the game community for the demarcation line to be discussed, identified, and implemented.  This seems like a very small price to pay - particularly when you consider the advertising cache Game Labs received from the discussion.

This was a very necessary and positive cycle and I applaud Apple, Game Labs, and some of the more rational responses on this forum.

White supremacy is not about liberalism or conservatism.  It is about overt acts of violence against american citizens and equal protection under the laws.  The fact that social issues interfered with the game community is simply and indication of how pervasive and institutionalized racial tensions have been ingrained in our society.

The Confederacy used the Battle Flag for about 3 years to reduce confusion on the battlefield.  

White supremacists have usurped the Confederate Battle Flag for the past 150 years for an organized campaign of racial and religious hatred.  It is stunning that the flag flies over any government property given the Flag's post American Civil War history.  98.5% of the Confederate Battle Flag's time in existence has been as a symbol for institutionalized racial oppression and hatred.

What I've learned on this forum is that it some people get absorbed in games to the extent that it detaches them from life's realities.

• Like 2