Game-Labs Forum

Real Square rigger sailing

Ryan21

• 5 months later...

When I was younger I sailed for several years, so I thought I had a pretty good understanding of how sailing works. However, when watching videos of this game, it seems that square rigged vessels work somewhat differently, specifically that you can manually turn the sails one way or another.

Does anyone know of any resources that explain how these sort of ships was handled? It would be nice to read up on this stuff before getting access.

Modern sailing of a fore and aft vessel (usually a bermuda sloop) is quite different from sailing a square rigger.  When you have the sails attached at every edge to yards that can be articulated fully via lines, you have the ability to do some very interesting things related to maneuvering the vessel, including holding it stationary to some degree.

There are some great videos here that talk about sailing these vessels.  You may not be able to do everything they talk about in the videos, but you'll get a far better idea.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVgOMwr_2CO0qStqdsr9RPg

Specifically:

- Part 1

- Part 2

- Part 3

This is exactly what i was looking for. Turning seems very different from how it works with triangular sails, where you rely on your speed to carry you past the wind so the boom can swing over and push you the rest of the way. Here you literally stop, go backwards and let the wind push you around. Very interesting.

Unfortunately the series cuts off after the third video, but it'll get you a lot of the way there.

There currently appears to be some dispute about how fore-aft rigged vessels are performing in the game - they seem like square rigger light instead of exemplifying the advantages of their rig.  Unless cracking along at 13 knots, I tend to have to do a square rigger tack in them to get them to stay.