Game-Labs Forum

Games similar to Naval Action

hotet

Hello,

As with many of you I look forward to get my hands on Naval Action when it's available.

Until then I'd like some suggestions what I can spend my time with in the mean time.

Games that are similar and/or possesses a similar events and experiences that we expect to be featured in Naval Action that is.

I've recently played a couple that would qualify.

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Great looking graphics, and with the sailing as a primary part of the gaming experience it is very satisfactory. Of course the game compromises on realism, but perhaps with good reason. Some would say the arcade like controls and mechanics is there because it has to be dumbed down to suit the masses. Many other compromises are perhaps natural, like being able to sail into the wind would present an awkward playing experience when the skill of mastering a ship and sailing is not the focus, and shouldn't be. I'm also pretty sure the captains wouldn't normally demean themselves to having the responsibility of the helm, even pirate captains, but the game obviously have to put the main character in focus, and ease the transitions between land and sea game play to not appear strange for the average consumer. The controls and game mechanics are at least far superior to the counter part of the unnatural affixed sailing part of AC III (the whole notion of playing a native American that suddenly gets a ship and is supposed to be engaged in naval warefare on a serious level while also being the apparent savior of the entire independence war) that just was plain painful to endure.

Age of Pirates 2

After a painful prologue I finally got to try out some naval warefare, which was a bit of a disappointment, probably due to the out dated graphics (even by 2009's standards), awkward game controls and poor animations. RPGs not being my favorite game genre didn't help.

PotBS

The obvious title of the genre. I would definitely rate as superior to AoP2, but it was a while ago since I played it last, but I recall the battles to be quite well done for the circumstances of which the whole game was developed on.

I've still to try out Pirates Of The Caribbean, where there is some kind of mod supposedly that would feature a good deal.

So any more suggestions?

Preferably newer games or good scaling graphics, as the older games, esp. in this type of game, ruin the immersion.

Hi.

Although it's not the newest Game, I pretty much liked it in terms of simulating a 'real' regatta sailing experience:

32nd America's Cup (by Morphicon)

Of course, the sailing in this is done with contemporary sports sailing boats instead of historical ships.

But since it's from 2007(?), you can get it for very little money and just spend some time on it, while waiting for NA.

You might consider to learn some real sailing basics, though.

As for example, how to sail against winds...

But if you've come to experience something like that on a real boat, it shouldn't be a problem.

Mast- und Schotbruch,

Va Banque

• Like 1

Sea dogs was really a brillantr games and the second one was for me the best pirate game i play alone.

As dysney buy the games it has been called something like: Pirate of the caribean XXX but it's not an ea or dysney games, it's just sea dogs2 renamed like that with not any dysney features. A really good games, can anyone tell me his exact names?

A second good games was "corsair". It get the best boarding systeme ever. Try it to see, it was really new and strategic

• 3 weeks later...

If you want to feel naval action, try to find Age of Sail 2 or Age of Sail 2: Privateer's Bounty, these games are pure about naval action. There is another game that deserves mention - Cutthroats: Terror on the High Seas which is best Pirates! based game imo

These games are quite old but still fun if you don't judge them about graphic

Age of Pirates 2 was a really neat single player age of sail game. The one thing I will say about it is you really should apply one of the super mods to it before playing it, like GOF. I got allot of game play out of it and feel (moded) it is probably had the true to life feel to it I have seen out of any age of sail game. Although it is pretty dated. There is rumors floating around they maybe working on a 3rd installment....maybe.

Pirates Ahoy also showed a "Hearts of Oak" indi game in the works. Don't expect a speedy development on that one, its pretty much unpaid modders making it, so it will get done when it gets done. But I was pretty impressed with the screen shots and concept videos.

POTBS of course in its prime was the best MMORPG age of sail game out and really didn't have too much comp. Due to the fact there really is only 3 other age of sail mmo games that I know of ever and they pretty much sucked. POTBS is dead now though due to crappy management and piss poor patches which was down right shameful considering how successful it was for a while.

I never really was that into AC so I will not comment. I did not play "Age of Sail" either.

We forgot TTW Empires and Napoleonic which was not as good as empires. It has age of sail ships and a really good combat system, although it is a Turn base with RTS battles. Empires I thought did a really good job showing the 1700s and really early 1800s.

There is Wind of Luck which is a MMORPG, I saw some of the screen shots, and kind of looked crude and cartoonish, not something I want to play. But its not done.

Recently NA is probably the most promising thing I have seen for a decent age of sail game in developent. The team seems to be on the right track, and honestly I don't really have any complaints about anything thing they have stated.  Whats weird is everything they have stated is exactly how I would like an age of sail game. So I'm being patient and think they should take as much time as the need, not get caught up to much in deadlines and just do it right:)

• 2 weeks later...

I had about 8 months worth of fun playing AoP2COAS.

The story line was a pain but well worth it. The game did have problem crashing, but I never minded because it took such little effort to run which was just what i needed for the old Emachines. 

I now have something a little bit better than that of course, but the 4550 GPU remains. Since graphics mean nothing to me it remains. "Good enough"

• 4 years later...
7 hours ago, Ruthless4u said:

Any new promising games similar to NA but without the heavy PVE/trading focus?

Any new promising games similar to NA but with a heavy PVE/trading focus?

Edited by Macjimm

Naval Action Open World is mainly constructed as a medium to allow players to fight.  It seems to me that most if the development energy has been dedicated to combat.  And the reason to battle is for;  gaining wealth & XP, the love of the engagement and winning a competitive e-sport.  All great and good fun.

I would love to find a game similar to NA where most of the development was not geared towards combat.  A game that has the beauty, the wonderful graphics and sound, but allows players more content involved with trading, exploring and an economy that is integrated with the health and production in the ports and nations.  An sailing game that contained the best of the brawling but also allowed players to really get lost in  other content.

It seems reasonable that the development has been dedicated primarily to tracking cannon balls, destruction of ships, movement within a battle instance and other aspects of ships attacking each other.  Just compare the images and animations of the battles compared to a video of trading, or crafting and it's not hard to see that much more effort has been spent on the combat.  Considering the small size of the Dev's crew, it is better that they strive to making a portion of the game very well done rather than all aspects of the game mediocre. 

I imagine that if  the Devs had more staff and resources, and could develop features that appealed to players who enjoy more than just PvP, there would be many more players playing the game.  In my mind additional content  can create a more interesting story and give us more passion to get into a fight.

7 hours ago, Macjimm said:

In my mind additional content  can create a more interesting story and give us more passion to get into a fight.

EVE has proven that it leads to less PvP and more PvE.

Source

Edited by jodgi
Source

• 3 weeks later...

Check out 8Bit Goose Games on YouTube. One man dev, one little sailboat ATM. He hopes to launch on Steam this year. There's no bang, bang shoot'em up and it's being developed for VR but I think you might enjoy it.

Fair sailing all. 

• Like 1