Game-Labs Forum

'Peregrine' Cruiser, 18 guns, 1704 (With Plans)

There may be a bit of confusion here, due to the fact that there were in fact several commissioned vessels named peregrine built around the same time.

The first three photos look like the same vessel, but the two latter, with their larger gun-count make me wonder if they're not in fact the Peregrine Galley, built sometime around 1700 and converted to a royal yacht, the Royal Caroline in roughly 1720...

I could be wrong however.

Regardless they are both lovely ships!! 

There may be a bit of confusion here, due to the fact that there were in fact several commissioned vessels named peregrine built around the same time.

The first three photos look like the same vessel, but the two latter, with their larger gun-count make me wonder if they're not in fact the Peregrine Galley, built sometime around 1700 and converted to a royal yacht, the Royal Caroline in roughly 1720...

I could be wrong however.

Regardless they are both lovely ships!! 

Last ship plan is longer and has more guns, but looks like it is based on the same ship or at least similar. 

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm very late in answering this post as i ahve only just found this forum while Googling for something else entirely

"Peregrine" AKA the "Peregrine Galley" is discussed in some detail in Howard I Chapelle's book "The Search for Speed Under Sail"; she was extensively modified over the years, one of which rebuilds (from memory) included lengthening by inserting a parallel body section amidships. This, I think, will explain the differences in appearance  

I'm very late in answering this post as i ahve only just found this forum while Googling for something else entirely

"Peregrine" AKA the "Peregrine Galley" is discussed in some detail in Howard I Chapelle's book "The Search for Speed Under Sail"; she was extensively modified over the years, one of which rebuilds (from memory) included lengthening by inserting a parallel body section amidships. This, I think, will explain the differences in appearance  

Pretty sure that was a different vessel.