Game-Labs Forum
Laik

Why people don't fight.

Some people just like to go overboard in their testing and have a kill everyone at all instances regardless of the setting or any common sense.

I would rather take on a fleet of 7 bots that are way more skilled at sinking ships and way more accurate in their shooting then 2 players way higher rank in souped up ships that the outcome is the same every time they do it so why waste the hour I have to play today .

I'll give you an example of how some people go to extremes to force other players to pvp unfair ? odds and why I am too the point of I would rather take on bot fleets them put up with ppl like this.

Just finished a battle with 5 bots in my constitution. Connie,Trinc,Frig,Frig,Belle. I won the battle after a looong battle and was heavy damaged.

Finish the battle and start to head to base to repair. See a Connie player turn towards me I think awww crap know who it is no way can fight even with repairs at start not enough to repair to fight, so I start to avoid him. See another connie hmm his buddy he hangs with ok no problem im doing 22 and far enough ahead of him and his buddy is farther back. Now they chased me for 10 minutes real time. Passed lots of fleets they could of engaged together but nope had to kill a single player nothing else mattered.

His buddy came from behind passed him and caught me and im doing 22.  So I thought ok im a lower grade but it's Connie on Connie ok i'll blow my 2 repairs and fight him. Battle starts and I do the repairs and is just enough and start to pvp him. Guess who finally catches up and comes into the battle. Why the game let him into a balanced battle when the BR had to be just about identical is something that should be looked at as both  were a higher grade than me so anything else joining unbalanced the pvp.

Neither of them questioned why after they poured round after round into me why I wasn't repairing and just sinking. Too busy having their fun killing another single player. I sink and they say GG ???? Yea you chased me for 10 minutes real time, ganged up and sunk a damaged Connie A RA and what was the other a Com against a Flag Captain and figured it was great fun and I had a bad attitude for calling them on it.

Guys like this with little restraint that would not just move on and go fight a fleet that would challenge them and seek out single ships to have fun with are the MAIN reason I would rather test the bots than waste time with them.

Not a bitch not a moan a reply to why some people are to the point they avoid players like this that seem to think it's fun to do crap like this.

Player RUNS from you for 10 minutes their may be a reason , go find someone that wants to fight you go sit with your buddy ..no not buddies, go sit with your friend in your Connies (No not your Santi's,Bell's,Vic's) but in what most everyone else has in  front of any home port and I am quite, quite sure you can pvp all day long to your hearts content

Game mechanics need to be changed to if you initiate a battle and it is a very close BR you cannot bring another Connie into a Connie v Connie battle to unbalance it that much this need to be looked at. You initiate a battle with a PVP with an equal rate ship and level player and your buddy is not in the Battle initialization circle then tough your in a fight by yourself should of been prepared to go 1 on 1 not rely on your buddy to save or help you.

Myself I would rather take on a fleet of 6-7 bots more challenging that killing lesser single ships  

But then again this is the way I am starting to see it not for everyone and that's ok I force no one to play the way I enjoy testing and not everyone would feel the same.

Edited by Dragonfire

It's a fun idea to consider, and honestly I would enjoy trying it out, but I see it leading to frustration for both sides of the issue. People that want pvp will have a hard time finding it, and will get stuck doing pve more than they want to, and pve people will accidentally attack human players and get killed when all they really wanted was pve.

I think some players er testers are just a bit "spoilt" from Sea Trials - thinking this will be "like" Sea Trials in that they will get to always "choose" PvP or PvE.

It may just not be possible to duplicate the Sea Trials environment in an open world .....

Fog of war making it difficult to distinguish AI and players on the OW is definitely worth trying.

• Like 1

Some people just like to go overboard in their testing and have a kill everyone at all instances regardless of the setting or any common sense.

I would rather take on a fleet of 7 bots that are way more skilled at sinking ships and way more accurate in their shooting then 2 players way higher rank in souped up ships that the outcome is the same every time they do it so why waste the hour I have to play today .

I'll give you an example of how some people go to extremes to force other players to pvp unfair ? odds and why I am too the point of I would rather take on bot fleets them put up with ppl like this.

Just finished a battle with 5 bots in my constitution. Connie,Trinc,Frig,Frig,Belle. I won the battle after a looong battle and was heavy damaged.

Finish the battle and start to head to base to repair. See a Connie player turn towards me I think awww crap know who it is no way can fight even with repairs at start not enough to repair to fight, so I start to avoid him. See another connie hmm his buddy he hangs with ok no problem im doing 22 and far enough ahead of him and his buddy is farther back. Now they chased me for 10 minutes real time. Passed lots of fleets they could of engaged together but nope had to kill a single player nothing else mattered.

His buddy came from behind passed him and caught me and im doing 22.  So I thought ok im a lower grade but it's Connie on Connie ok i'll blow my 2 repairs and fight him. Battle starts and I do the repairs and is just enough and start to pvp him. Guess who finally catches up and comes into the battle. Why the game let him into a balanced battle when the BR had to be just about identical is something that should be looked at as both  were a higher grade than me so anything else joining unbalanced the pvp.

Neither of them questioned why after they poured round after round into me why I wasn't repairing and just sinking. Too busy having their fun killing another single player. I sink and they say GG ???? Yea you chased me for 10 minutes real time, ganged up and sunk a damaged Connie A RA and what was the other a Com against a Flag Captain and figured it was great fun and I had a bad attitude for calling them on it.

Guys like this with little restraint that would not just move on and go fight a fleet that would challenge them and seek out single ships to have fun with are the MAIN reason I would rather test the bots than waste time with them.

Not a bitch not a moan a reply to why some people are to the point they avoid players like this that seem to think it's fun to do crap like this.

Player RUNS from you for 10 minutes their may be a reason , go find someone that wants to fight you go sit with your buddy ..no not buddies, go sit with your friend in your Connies (No not your Santi's,Bell's,Vic's) but in what most everyone else has in  front of any home port and I am quite, quite sure you can pvp all day long to your hearts content

Game mechanics need to be changed to if you initiate a battle and it is a very close BR you cannot bring another Connie into a Connie v Connie battle to unbalance it that much this need to be looked at. You initiate a battle with a PVP with an equal rate ship and level player and your buddy is not in the Battle initialization circle then tough your in a fight by yourself should of been prepared to go 1 on 1 not rely on your buddy to save or help you.

Myself I would rather take on a fleet of 6-7 bots more challenging that killing lesser single ships  

But then again this is the way I am starting to see it not for everyone and that's ok I force no one to play the way I enjoy testing and not everyone would feel the same.

There is a huge world.  If you don't want to fight players, don't hang out where they roam.

• Like 1

Fog of war making it difficult to distinguish AI and players on the OW is definitely worth trying.

I think it will then open the door to better "more Humanlike" bots in the future.

I envisioned an "open world" where EVERY battle can be won and EVERY battle can be lost - depending on you and your skills.

---

Not a small thing

The op asked a question I replied Prater.

Your solution if you don't like it just move away is un helpful to say the least and shows you have zero understanding what is going on and why the op asked the question in the first place.

I gave one example of testers going to extremes to force other testers to do it their way when it wasn't wanted and it isn't necessary day after day week after week.

Hunting down single player ships with your buddies thinking it is great fun knowing your prey has no chance is  being an asshat and one of the MAIN reasons people are starting to avoid PVP.

How do you not understand it is starting to impede testing when it gets to a point certain Testers are causing others to avoid battles?

You do a great disservice to testing this game with you attitude in a lot of posts if you don't like it go elsewhere as a solution. Maybe see the post as it was was a reply to the op as an explanation by one player why he was  giving up on pvp and if you didn't understand the post for what it was then either politly ask for more info or just refrain from posting your play it my way or bugger off attitude all the time.

• Like 1

Your solution if you don't like it just move away is un helpful to say the least and shows you have zero understanding what is going on and why the op asked the question in the first place.

I gave one example of testers going to extremes to force other testers to do it their way when it wasn't wanted and it isn't necessary day after day week after week.

Hunting down single player ships with your buddies thinking it is great fun knowing your prey has no chance is  being an asshat and one of the MAIN reasons people are starting to avoid PVP.

How do you not understand it is starting to impede testing when it gets to a point certain Testers are causing others to avoid battles?

You do a great disservice to testing this game with you attitude in a lot of posts if you don't like it go elsewhere as a solution. Maybe see the post as it was was a reply to the op as an explanation by one player why he was  giving up on pvp and if you didn't understand the post for what it was then either politly ask for more info or just refrain from posting your play it my way or bugger off attitude all the time.

The crux of the issue ....

The problem is not solvable with this player base at its present number, going over it again and again will not make the flogged horse any more alive! All that is going to happen is those with the inability to accept others have a different play style will force all of those who might be into PVP into the PVE server when it is released and then be left wondering why there is nobody to gang up on any more. PVP players need those who will pvp sometimes, more than they are needed themselves by everyone else. Bullying and causing people to avoid PVP at all, will push the player base into the PVE server, or at least a large number who would have otherwise helped fill the economy side of the game.

Forcing people to play a way they don't want will not make them change their minds, it will make them change their server or game.

Every player style should have a role to play in an open world where economy will drive the fleets, everyone is needed, stop bullying people out of the game and trying to make them play a way they don't want. Give them a reason to want to and they will.

But at present player levels and game content 99% of everything we discuss is pretty pointless, concerning this issue anyway!

Edited by MikedaBike
  • Like 1

You make a good point about not forcing players into one style of play, but then you devolve into basically a rant about how pointless it is to talk it out ....

It is NOT pointless to discuss things at this point, I have seen several things fixed or made better after they were brought up on the forums. Just ONE example - now you can watch over your ship when you log out in blue water.

Please stick to what might be fixed - not what you think is hopeless.....

I said "concerning this issue", and 16 pages of going over it have not changed it and it will not change it, player numbers will and until we have the player numbers needed, going over the same old ground is indeed pointless. Add a few hundred more players and there will be a point to discussing a situation that cannot be changed without those numbers,

Says the player who ganks Lynxes in brigs.....

One thing I have trouble standing, is people who can't adapt and come up with their own solutions to things.  I offered you one.  Move locations.  Adapt, use your head, make the best of your situation.  You are getting attacked too much in an area and are losing ships?  Leave that area.  Find a nice quiet area for you where you can play solitaire NA.

Admin has said this is all ok. It isn't asshatery.  Asshatery is crying because you can't play the game as it is meant to be played and try to change it for your own reasons.  Admin has stated all along this is a PVP OW with full pvp.  Use your head, watch out, use your perceptions and skills to avoid players.  That is what makes the game interesting.

You don't go to Iraq or Syria or any warzone and demand that they ignore you do you?

• Like 1

Alternatively, pump some rounds into their sheets, damage their sails and run like hell.

It's worked for me a couple of times, including a Lynx fleet gank that 9 vs 1 (I was the 1).

I was raving mad when they pulled me into combat, but 30 minutes of white-knuckle sailing later, felt like the king of France.

I now have found a quieter spot (away from any capitals) where I can still prey on fat British traders, with a nice neutral port nearby for repairs or holing up when things get hot.

No, I'm not telling you where I'm at :-)

• Like 2

Show me proof of me ever ganking a player  lynx that didn't target my brig repeatedly with the reason I just want to farm damage off of you hehehe and i'll run or move on twice now you have said that as an excuse for your stupidity.

Solution:

If you want to PVP don't show up on a tiny player base with 7 Bloody Constitution and Bell fleets and expect anyone will pvp you knowing your all going to jump in.

Want to PVP Show up in an appropriate ship so they have a chance to at least compete.

Why you don't target the big AI Santi and Bell fleets to test your skill with your Vics,Bells,Connies is because you know they will blow your ass out of the water .

Same as your doing to single players and small fleets think about it...Your not willing to take on a superior force with what your sailing and your skill level then why you expect anyone else to let you do it to them.

You go up against Ai Bell,Bell Connie , Connie ,Vic with you and your buddy just take 2 Constitutions and beat them.

You can't and you know it so you wont P V AI so why do you expect anyone else to do what you wont do go up against overwhelming odds with no chance to survive it.

Think  about it show up in an equal force to what you want to pvp and stop piling into a reasonable fight making it so one sided then maybe people will start to go one on one.

Show up with 2 Vic's and a few Bells and a couple of Connies to fight with players mostly sailing in Belle Poulles with a Connie here and there Pffft Give your head a shake and get back to common sense reality your actions are what is killing PVP.

• Like 1

Ive been having some late night fun with Young and Hawkins lately, had a few rather good little scrimms :D  Peak hours for activity, sadly too many US players near EH and not enough Brits willing to fight.

Ive been having some late night fun with Young and Hawkins lately, had a few rather good little scrimms :D  Peak hours for activity, sadly too many US players near EH and not enough Brits willing to fight.

Time zones

Maybe someone has already mentioned this, but aside from bigger rewards from PVP, in order to also reduce incentives to rank, there should be NO rewards for winning combat against a strongly outgunned/outnumbered opponent. i.e. A two trincs that attack a consti and win should get their fair reward, but should another trinc join in there should be no reward for winning. 0xp and 0 gold. Only way to discourage it without outright blocking players from joining balanced battles.

Also, to encourage the use of smaller ships and therefore likelyhood of PVP, there should be an exponentially/quadratically greater reward if you are outranked by the enemy, either in terms of ship, firepower, whatever. If I am able to defeat a navybrig in a basic lynx, the reward should be many times greater than defeating it in another navy brig. Maybe not ´realism´, per se, but definitely a viable solution to the disparity problem OW faces, and will make up for the ´gamey´ aspect of the solution by offering an overall more immersive and realistic world with more PVP combat, and not pure PVE grinding as we see these days.

Time zones

Thats valid for most of the SLRN guys who are actually Euro, but there are LOADS of brits online late at night, they just dont answer the call.  Which is disappointing because I like the idea of organized, grand scale pvp, but im not going to join the Yankes and play in their unit if they got no one to match them during most hours of the day.  lol

I.M.O. Never penalise a player for not wanting to engage in a pvp encounter in an open world game like this. You don't know what they are doing, where they are going or why? Perhaps they are just trying to get to the nearest port so they can log as their wife is giving them grief for not having done the washing up yet ( happens with me ;) ). They aren't there for your entertainment any more than you are there for theirs.

Problem with PVP in this game as it stands and comparing it with the Battle Trials ( sorry can't remember the proper name ) is that there is no purpose for it whatsoever ( disregarding you may or may not get more xp ). What you need is proper faction wars, with real consequences at that level to motivate people to get involved. Ports being captured and changing hands that sort of thing. If one of my favourite haunts was suddenly captured by the evil [ insert random faction name here ] scummer's id certainly chip in to try and get it back.

Also look at the almost perpetual blockade of the EH by the americans. Pretty certain there was some nice consentual pvp going on there over the weekend to sort that out. I know I had a very interesting "chase" with an American surprise - was just the two of us but I fled as I was expecting the rest of his gang to pile in any second. They didn't but by the time I had got passed him I was very damaged and down to zero armour repairs in a one durability ship. It meant ( for me at least ) a very enjoyable chase with us both trying to damage sails in order win - me escape - him to pulverise me into oblivion. :D

that's my 2 peneth anyhow.

• Like 5

All the clans are having consensual fleet battles on the weekends.

I know people run in fear when they see a US player now but we wont all jump in the same instance. that fear is a carryover from when OW first opened. i know when im on (lol theres only like 5 max on when i play) we try to keep the fights as reasonable as we can for the ships we are in. 

As you say Mad without national purpose there is no motivation to PVP in this current state. extra XP does not seem to motivate.

• Like 1

As I said before, they need map objectives worth fighting over.  I assume the downgrade of all vendor ships to 1-2 modules was in preparation for ship crafting.  If they add crafting, and make it so only several major neutral ports can craft big 1st rates, and then add in port battles where only players of the nation that owns the port could build those ships, then you might see some regular pvp battles of consequence.

• Like 1

Also look at the almost perpetual blockade of the EH by the americans. Pretty certain there was some nice consentual pvp going on there over the weekend to sort that out. I know I had a very interesting "chase" with an American surprise - was just the two of us but I fled as I was expecting the rest of his gang to pile in any second. They didn't but by the time I had got passed him I was very damaged and down to zero armour repairs in a one durability ship. It meant ( for me at least ) a very enjoyable chase with us both trying to damage sails in order win - me escape - him to pulverise me into oblivion. :D

that's my 2 peneth anyhow.

I have been very careful while operating in that area to leave ships smaller than my Surprise completely alone.  I know it's where the new British folks start, and I don't want to sour them on the game before they've even had a chance to experience it.  I even had the potential to deck a cutter who was sitting outside of a port completely oblivious the other day but did not - what would be the point? 

Now, on the other hand, I've had a couple of suicide Lynx attacks while I was engaged with AI.  They generally don't even try to fire at me, they just nail me amidships at full sails.  Honestly, you're in a basic Lynx - I'm engaged heavily with AI.  Use the opportunity to beat me up while I'm dealing with the larger targets and get some major gold and experience points.  :P

• Like 1

Why is that?

If I encounter a player in OW that isn't in a fleet they will always run, even with a bigger ship... I really have no interest in fighting the AI so this is very bothersome to me.

Is it because I'm a pirate? Is the Belle Poule just really scary?

This game only has scheduled pvp right now. I don't think you can fight anyone you want. If players don't want to fight they can run. Also, there is no point to fight at this stage of development. No rewards, no conquest and no pvp marks or leaderboards. I do believe once these thing will be added it will change. Why loose a ship if you don't get rewarded?